Zeovit discussion thread!

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great points, and some of those are why I've decided to give this a whirl. I'm always fiddling with the tank every night so adding another 5-10 minutes to add a couple drops of something or shake some stones isn't a big deal.

So to aid in keeping alk low in a zeovit system, what salt is everyone using. I'm switching to this from RSCP

20170509_230858.jpg

Aquaforest reef salt. Alk is between 7.8-8.2
I currently use that and earlier I was using Tropic marin Pro. They both are good.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why don't they tell the dose is maximum ?
Stupid information
The reason behind that is all the doses are standardised for a full grown reef tank and its hard to optimise for every reefs different need. The need of fully grown SPS tank will be different than a mixed tank or LPS dominant tank. So, they leave it on the users to decide how much they want to dose based on observation. Nothing wrong in doing that. As stated earlier in the thread this method will make you spend 5-10 minutes every day with your reef. You dose and observe how the system behave and then you change. The trick is always start from less then scale up.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't they tell the dose is maximum ?
Stupid information

They do if that was not the maximum them they would say to dose more daily.

Zeovit requires a bit of common sense they can not tell you exactly what to dose in your tank because each tank is different. You as a user determine how much to use by starting slow and seeing how the tank reacts.

zsuzsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been running zeo for over two years now, i have been reefing since early ninetys, been wiped out three times, the last was when the whole country lost power for in my case it was 6 days. i just closed the door to my reef room for 4 years literally. my daughter needed something for her science class so i took her to what was my lfs guys 4 yrs earlier... hmm.. we said hi and he showed me all the new goodies, but the coolest thing was the free reefer magazine, it was the one with the reef in the sky. that was all it took i was back in and having and old school reefer to see a tank like reef in the sky was really amazing. thats why i got the bug and went zeo. so i made up my mind i was going all in and all high end everything. that reef is so beautiful it has been my fav since returning to the hobby, and will be tough to beat

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i've been running Zeo from scratch for 8 months. Is 8 months considered too soon for deep coloration? mine looks pale.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i've been running Zeo from scratch for 8 months. Is 8 months considered too soon for deep coloration? mine looks pale.

I am in no way an expert on this, I haven't even started yet lol. But I would think you need to feed a bit more.

kaleydee23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my zeovit system. I am finding out tho that coral snow does not did the tank of cyano. Pohls A balance solves the problem. And coral snow and cyano clean are hard to use in a big tank because the dosing is for smaller tanks and I burned thru those really fast (I have a 180 gal Tank also). The A balance helped with only 2 doses.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so here's the 14 day cycle information that was requested earlier in the thread. The link can be found here.

Initial cycle – just 14 days?An effective biology and some other “tricks” make it possible!
Here we go:
Day 0:
Install an appropriate sea water tank, install the sump, install necessary PVC tubing and make sure to give the glue enough time to dry !

Day 1:
1. Water
Fill the system with reverse osmosis water, if possible use the RO unit with a filter resin as last stage. Warm up the water to 20-25° C and install current pumps at the same time.

2. Current
We recommend a smooth and broad flow, about 20-30 times of the tank’s volume per hour. Also well approved is the combination with Osci-Motion – they create a very natural shifting streaming due to the pivoting pumps.

3. Sea salt
As soon as the water temperature is around 25 °C add salt slowly into the current and adopt the salinity around 34 %o. Live rock can be added as soon as the salt has dissolved completely and the water is clear.

4. Live rock
It is very important to use fresh and clear live rock, approx. 10 % of the tank’s contents. Always available in our online shop or in our store in Coburg. Rock work can easily and stable be fixed with Speedglue without harming the water quality in any way.

After you bring in the live rock in the tank, the sand bed is next. At this time the skimmer is started as well as the ZEOvit® filter and the tank needs light now!

5. Sand bed
Now you can add a shallow sand bed. Use crushed Coral Sand or Aragonite from Korallenzucht. Do not use Live Sand in combination with the ZEOvit® system.

Coral Sand
Very clean coral sand from the best coral regions in a optimal size of 2-4 mm. Soak in reverse osmosis water for 3-4 days before use and replace osmosis water daily.

Or you can take Aragonite:
High quality sand without phosphates for sand bed. This can be used immediately without soaking for a few days.

6. Start the ZEOvit® filter and skimmer
Use 1 liter ZEOvit® for each 400 l of water tank volume. Do not exceed flow rate through the filter of 400 l per hour maximum. Start your protein skimmer.

7. Lighting and other technical equipment
Start the lighting min. 10 hours per day. Start also all other technical equipment now.

8. Dosage
The addition of ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power can be started now.

ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons
ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons
Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons

Day 2 and Day 3
Dosing break.

Day 4:
Dose ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power as recommended on the products label.

Day 4-10:
Different algae phases can appear, like some brown slime algae followed by some healthy green algae. Use the same dosage like described for day 4 above. Double check Salinity.

Day 10
First herbivore fish (max. 2 per 200 L) can be added, also sea urchins and turbo snails. You should also be able to add the first not to sensitive corals like branching Montipora. Add now the Activated Carbon.

Activated Carbon
As soon as the first animals are stocked into the system, add the Activated Carbon: 0.5 – 1 Liter per 1000 liters as recommended. Replacement interval 30 days.

Day 11-14
Keep dosage as described for day 4. Test Carbonate Hardness and Salinity carefully. More corals can now be added into the system. Additional fish can be added but should be done very slow. Also fish feeding has to be done very carefully in this phase as biology is not very stabile in this phase. Do not add more fish than 1-2 fish per 250 liters per week. After additional 4 weeks you can add the rest of the fish which where planed for the system.

With this method we have started many tanks very successfully without any problems. Take care of the above directions.

By using the ZEOvit® system your tank has optimum preconditions for healthy growth and fantastic coloration of your corals. When used permanently your reef grows healthy and magnificent and also your fish can show their full beauty!
What I did to ensure that I was following along, as well as for my own need for record keeping and review. I documented the daily things I did to the tank for ZeoVit in my Apex notes everyday for the first 3-4 months - then I had several business trips/vacations and the documentation fell off a bit.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

I have reminders set in my Apex dashboard for reoccuring media changes and the like so I dont pull a bone head move and forget to change carbon, or zeolites or whatever. I even have my t5 bulbs on a 12 month reminder schedule with a reminder 4 weeks ahead of the change to give me a heads up that I need to order more bulbs! Its a great tool.

Capture3.PNG

As for pictures, I dont have many that I think are "good" as most are shot with an iPhone with no real post editing. But here's a couple showing the coloration of my SPS after 8+ months of ZeoVit.

IMG_1442.JPG
Pink Lemonade and Bonsai (side view)

IMG_1551.JPG

Same corals, but a top view... theres a Pearlberry just south of the McCoskers too, with some acans and another SPS in the bottom corner
IMG_1554.JPG

Strawberry shortcake and a ORA PlumCrazy (and a baby rock nem)

IMG_1561.JPG
ORA Red Planet, ORA Hawkins, JF Tierra del Fuego thats hiding in the bottom right and a CC Needle in the Haystack at the bottom (still on the plug)

IMG_1562.JPG
Green Monti cap, CC Firefly, AV Orange Crush and a green slimer nub in the far back.

IMG_1568.JPG

Most of the same corals from the last two pictures (Hawkins, TDF, Firefly, etc), just from the side. Theres a granulosa nub thats just starting to take off, now that I have it under better lighting for it.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my zeovit system. I am finding out tho that coral snow does not did the tank of cyano. Pohls A balance solves the problem. And coral snow and cyano clean are hard to use in a big tank because the dosing is for smaller tanks and I burned thru those really fast (I have a 180 gal Tank also). The A balance helped with only 2 doses.

I read mixed reviews on the cyano fix with coral snow. Some swear by it while other such as yourself say it's snake oil haha. Have you tried their cyanofix?

OK, so here's the 14 day cycle information that was requested earlier in the thread. The link can be found here.

Initial cycle – just 14 days?An effective biology and some other “tricks” make it possible!
Here we go:
Day 0:
Install an appropriate sea water tank, install the sump, install necessary PVC tubing and make sure to give the glue enough time to dry !

Day 1:
1. Water
Fill the system with reverse osmosis water, if possible use the RO unit with a filter resin as last stage. Warm up the water to 20-25° C and install current pumps at the same time.

2. Current
We recommend a smooth and broad flow, about 20-30 times of the tank’s volume per hour. Also well approved is the combination with Osci-Motion – they create a very natural shifting streaming due to the pivoting pumps.

3. Sea salt
As soon as the water temperature is around 25 °C add salt slowly into the current and adopt the salinity around 34 %o. Live rock can be added as soon as the salt has dissolved completely and the water is clear.

4. Live rock
It is very important to use fresh and clear live rock, approx. 10 % of the tank’s contents. Always available in our online shop or in our store in Coburg. Rock work can easily and stable be fixed with Speedglue without harming the water quality in any way.

After you bring in the live rock in the tank, the sand bed is next. At this time the skimmer is started as well as the ZEOvit® filter and the tank needs light now!

5. Sand bed
Now you can add a shallow sand bed. Use crushed Coral Sand or Aragonite from Korallenzucht. Do not use Live Sand in combination with the ZEOvit® system.

Coral Sand
Very clean coral sand from the best coral regions in a optimal size of 2-4 mm. Soak in reverse osmosis water for 3-4 days before use and replace osmosis water daily.

Or you can take Aragonite:
High quality sand without phosphates for sand bed. This can be used immediately without soaking for a few days.

6. Start the ZEOvit® filter and skimmer
Use 1 liter ZEOvit® for each 400 l of water tank volume. Do not exceed flow rate through the filter of 400 l per hour maximum. Start your protein skimmer.

7. Lighting and other technical equipment
Start the lighting min. 10 hours per day. Start also all other technical equipment now.

8. Dosage
The addition of ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power can be started now.

ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons
ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons
Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons

Day 2 and Day 3
Dosing break.

Day 4:
Dose ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power as recommended on the products label.

Day 4-10:
Different algae phases can appear, like some brown slime algae followed by some healthy green algae. Use the same dosage like described for day 4 above. Double check Salinity.

Day 10
First herbivore fish (max. 2 per 200 L) can be added, also sea urchins and turbo snails. You should also be able to add the first not to sensitive corals like branching Montipora. Add now the Activated Carbon.

Activated Carbon
As soon as the first animals are stocked into the system, add the Activated Carbon: 0.5 – 1 Liter per 1000 liters as recommended. Replacement interval 30 days.

Day 11-14
Keep dosage as described for day 4. Test Carbonate Hardness and Salinity carefully. More corals can now be added into the system. Additional fish can be added but should be done very slow. Also fish feeding has to be done very carefully in this phase as biology is not very stabile in this phase. Do not add more fish than 1-2 fish per 250 liters per week. After additional 4 weeks you can add the rest of the fish which where planed for the system.

With this method we have started many tanks very successfully without any problems. Take care of the above directions.

By using the ZEOvit® system your tank has optimum preconditions for healthy growth and fantastic coloration of your corals. When used permanently your reef grows healthy and magnificent and also your fish can show their full beauty!
What I did to ensure that I was following along, as well as for my own need for record keeping and review. I documented the daily things I did to the tank for ZeoVit in my Apex notes everyday for the first 3-4 months - then I had several business trips/vacations and the documentation fell off a bit.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

I have reminders set in my Apex dashboard for reoccuring media changes and the like so I dont pull a bone head move and forget to change carbon, or zeolites or whatever. I even have my t5 bulbs on a 12 month reminder schedule with a reminder 4 weeks ahead of the change to give me a heads up that I need to order more bulbs! Its a great tool.

Capture3.PNG

As for pictures, I dont have many that I think are "good" as most are shot with an iPhone with no real post editing. But here's a couple showing the coloration of my SPS after 8+ months of ZeoVit.

IMG_1442.JPG
Pink Lemonade and Bonsai (side view)

IMG_1551.JPG

Same corals, but a top view... theres a Pearlberry just south of the McCoskers too, with some acans and another SPS in the bottom corner
IMG_1554.JPG

Strawberry shortcake and a ORA PlumCrazy (and a baby rock nem)

IMG_1561.JPG
ORA Red Planet, ORA Hawkins, JF Tierra del Fuego thats hiding in the bottom right and a CC Needle in the Haystack at the bottom (still on the plug)

IMG_1562.JPG
Green Monti cap, CC Firefly, AV Orange Crush and a green slimer nub in the far back.

IMG_1568.JPG

Most of the same corals from the last two pictures (Hawkins, TDF, Firefly, etc), just from the side. Theres a granulosa nub thats just starting to take off, now that I have it under better lighting for it.

Very nice! Love the pics, it seems when ppl running zeovit completely strip the water of all nutrients and don't feed enough cause the pastel look. That's one thing I look go avoid.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read mixed reviews on the cyano fix with coral snow. Some swear by it while other such as yourself say it's snake oil haha. Have you tried their cyanofix?

Very nice! Love the pics, it seems when ppl running zeovit completely strip the water of all nutrients and don't feed enough cause the pastel look. That's one thing I look go avoid.
Also keep in mind that starting a tank with zeovit its completely different than starting zeovit on a tank that has been running for a while.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind that starting a tank with zeovit its completely different than starting zeovit on a tank that has been running for a while.

Very true, I will not be following the 14 day start up. My tanks been up for a while haha

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no way an expert on this, I haven't even started yet lol. But I would think you need to feed a bit more.

Mine grow good but color not good, i'm not sure if I am lack of food or lack of trace elements.
Basic 4
Reef Chili: Everyday 2 spoonfuls
Coral Vitalizer, SP, AA, Xtra special; 3 times a week

Pump up for expert [emoji12]

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grow good but color not good, i'm not sure if I am lack of food or lack of trace elements.
Basic 4
Reef Chili: Everyday 2 spoonfuls
Coral Vitalizer, SP, AA, Xtra special; 3 times a week

My question to you would be why did you pick those additives over others? What corals dont have good color? How long have those corals been in your tank? What have you changed recently? What is "good" color? There are some trace elements that are linked to specific coral coloration (though some of it may be speculative) - but usually overall dull coloration is a symptom of some other causation - not system wide trace element depletion.

Often when I hear "I dont have good colors on my corals" it seems like people are angry that their 1" frag isnt the same coloration as an established mother colony. Not saying thats the issue in your case, but its prevailent in the hobby. Other times its the creature getting settled in a new environment thats still experiencing significant change. One local guy stated "All parameters are good and fine, but everything is bleached" - come to find out he changed lights, protein skimmers, biomedias, added pellets, stopped using Kalk and started using a calcium reactor and switched salts in a 6 week period! Thats a significant change for a 50 gallon system. Our timeline of "nothings changed" and that of the tanks may also be different. 3 months may seem like a long time, but in "tank" years its not at all. I consider my tank still new at 8 months old :)

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question to you would be why did you pick those additives over others? What corals dont have good color? How long have those corals been in your tank? What have you changed recently? What is "good" color? There are some trace elements that are linked to specific coral coloration (though some of it may be speculative) - but usually overall dull coloration is a symptom of some other causation - not system wide trace element depletion.

Often when I hear "I dont have good colors on my corals" it seems like people are angry that their 1" frag isnt the same coloration as an established mother colony. Not saying thats the issue in your case, but its prevailent in the hobby. Other times its the creature getting settled in a new environment thats still experiencing significant change. One local guy stated "All parameters are good and fine, but everything is bleached" - come to find out he changed lights, protein skimmers, biomedias, added pellets, stopped using Kalk and started using a calcium reactor and switched salts in a 6 week period! Thats a significant change for a 50 gallon system. Our timeline of "nothings changed" and that of the tanks may also be different. 3 months may seem like a long time, but in "tank" years its not at all. I consider my tank still new at 8 months old :)

"it seems like people are angry that their 1" frag isnt the same coloration as an established mother colony" and to be honest, i'm one of those lol
I sometimes get the frags from online vendors then after a week or 2 their color shift a lot, nothing looks like the color when i first receive them and a few of them color up a little bit but not all of them in a few week/month. later.
I thought that i was doing something wrong with Zeovit system then i started those little blue bottle such as Coral Vitalizer, AA, Poh Extra, introduce new fish and feed a lot more but nothing help for coloration except grow, not to mention i change the light ( add 4 t5 bulbs in addition with 2 radions).

DSC_7644.jpg

DSC_7650.jpg

DSC_7655.jpg

DSC_7656.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"it seems like people are angry that their 1" frag isnt the same coloration as an established mother colony" and to be honest, i'm one of those lol
I sometimes get the frags from online vendors then after a week or 2 their color shift a lot, nothing looks like the color when i first receive them and a few of them color up a little bit but not all of them in a few week/month. later.
I thought that i was doing something wrong with Zeovit system then i started those little blue bottle such as Coral Vitalizer, AA, Poh Extra, introduce new fish and feed a lot more but nothing help for coloration except grow, not to mention i change the light ( add 4 t5 bulbs in addition with 2 radions).

DSC_7644.jpg

DSC_7650.jpg

DSC_7655.jpg

DSC_7656.jpg

Yes they are frags but they look healthy! Let them grow and the colors will become vibrant!

I agree with @ksfulk that doing huge changes all at once could be bad, if not fatal. But I think your frags look fine, give them time :)

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are frags but they look healthy! Let them grow and the colors will become vibrant!

I agree with @ksfulk that doing huge changes all at once could be bad, if not fatal. But I think your frags look fine, give them time :)

I always say to myself that patients is a key but sometimes i'm not following the rules lol.

Yes, good thing is they have great polyps extension and grow

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at some point, we are all guilty of it - Ive been "lucky" I guess, in that Im convinced that it will all happen if I just focus on the day to day stuff, and in a year or so, things will all be beautiful. From those pictures, I would be content. My favorite part of SPS, is when they hit the rockwork and start climbing onto the rock work - thats when I start to see the colors shift slightly or the hidden green or yellow or whatever comes out in the growth ring. And I can almost "see" them growing by the adjustments I have to make to my Alkalinity dosing. I wouldnt worry about coloration at this point. Let them sticks grow and get established, when they flush out a dozen little growth tips, thats when you see your real colors :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to follow this thread.
I won a raffle with a bunch of zeo products and was reading how to start it. First of all, I didn't win a reactor so I would have to buy it. 2nd, after reading it, I thought, this seems like a lot of work.
So after reading this thread, ya, seems like more work and $ than I'm willing to put in to it. I may be selling my raffle prize. Lol.

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank new with Zeo and its doing well...have some nice frags growing. its only been 5 months. My only problem has been not changing my Zeolites out(went a couple weeks to long i guess) and caused some coral losses. Thats the only change i made and some of the frags i thought were toast turned around started growing.
It seems to devastate certain SPS immediately and others look unaffected. I had this happen twice. Since my tank was new an adding corals over the time I am learning which seem to be more sensitive.
I am now going to change them every 4 weeks to be safe.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back