Zeovit discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by hybridazn, May 9, 2017.

1. iiluisii

iiluisii Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Not arguing here but if you have a reef tank you spent more than 5 minutes per day just looking at the tank.

2. ws6kid

ws6kid Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looking for enjoyment or while sitting in the room with it is different than what I am talking about.

All I am saying is that reactive husbandy and proactive husbandry are different. Zeovit forces you to work with your tank every day and this creates a level of proactive habits that are good for any tank.

Anirban, hybridazn and ramabama like this.
  3. zsuzsu

zsuzsu Well-Known Member

I'm a zeo guy, I have pretty much all their products, I dose zs,zb,sp per instructions, I use coral vitalizer twice per week with reef roids, I occasionally use xtra going by look of the animals, b balance rarely, my tank doesn't seem to like it, aahc maybe twice a month at half dosage again going by the look of the corals, I use rox passively. I also use coral snow,and fws occasionally with coral booster at half dosage. The only rules I break are I keep nitrate around 5, and po4 .02. And run alk 8.2 to 8.5, when I go lower I get to much ph swing. All in all I really like the system but the dosage recommendations are really too high unless your reef is just jam packed with coral.

hybridazn, Rick.45cal and iiluisii like this.
  4. iiluisii

There is many ways to fix the constant dosing and here is the way I do it now with good results I got this way from one of Thomas Phols last post on the zeovit site. this will leave you with not having to do anything manually Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Reactor:
    get an avast vibe which will take away having to shake the media manually daily.

Zeostart3: you can dose it with a doser daily.

The rest of the elements:
    zeofood 1 day per week (Monday)
    amino hc 1 day per week (Monday)
    phol xtra 1 day per week (Monday)
    coral vitalizer 1 day per week (Monday)
    FWS/Coral booster 2 days per week (Monday and Friday)
    B Balance/PIF/Sponge power 3 days per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
    K balance 2 days per week (Monday and Friday)
    Zeoback 2 days per week (Monday and Friday)
    Coral snow 1 day per week (Sunday)
    zeozym 1 day per week (Wednesday) and 1 time per month
    A Balance every 10 days
    Biomate 2 days per week (Wednesday and sunday)
    Zeospur macro elements every 1 month
    zeospur2 every 10 days

hybridazn likes this.
  5. daelie

daelie Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I run zeovit on my current system. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. iiluisii

any pictures of the sump area and share your dosing schedule I like this thread we should have more zeo folks sharing their success.

hybridazn likes this.
  7. daelie

daelie Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Ooo! I haven't taken a picture of my sump area for a very long time and before I even put a doser under there among other things, so this is the "newest" picture I have of my sump, but the empty space on the right is taken up by dosing containers and reactor at this point but the rest has largely not changed at all.

[​IMG]

Dosing Schedule is:

Monday: Zeostart3, Pohls Xtra, Zeobak, Coral Snow, K-Balance
    Tuesday: Zeostart3, CV, AA HC, SP, PIF, Zeofood
    Wednesday: Zeostart3, Pohl's Xtra
    Thursday: Same as Tuesday minus Zeofood
    Friday: Same as Monday with B-Balance
    Saturday: Same as Thursday
    Sunday: Zeo3, Zeofood

For me, whenever I'm going to feed my fish, I just grab some tank water, add all my Zeo stuff for that day and put that in when the fish get fed.

8. ksfulk

ksfulk Grow sticks, grow!!! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

^^^ This

I think one of the main reasons I went with Zeo on this tank build is 1.) I've gotten complacent and lazy in other tanks and the results have clearly suffered as a consequence. Forcing me to watch daily and look for trends, rather than react once something has gotten out of control is a plus in my book. 2.) Im curious about new systems and how they work. Granted my system has only been up about 8 months now, but my experience has been positive thus far - Im not dosing "a million tiny blue bottles" and Im seeing net positive results in growth and health of the system inhabitants. I think that some of the daily "hands on" stuff gets blown out of proportion. I spend less time than it takes to do my daily Alkalinity test on Zeo related activities. Ive left the system for multiple 7-10 day periods without adding blue bottles or shaking the reactor. No real detrimental effects. I havent had issues with carbon changes or ZeoLite exchanges. I tested my nitrates for the first time since October last week just to see what my numbers were. I think I have a phosphate result from my Triton test I found a few months ago.

I dont see any corals in the tank as "pastel" or super light colored. My red planet is a dark red color, and my bonsai has the deep rich purple I expect from that coral. Im not sure if its my flippant attitude toward the system, or the buffer from performing weekly scheduled maintenace with a meticulousness that I didnt have in other systems, but I have nothing negative to say about the system at this time. Ive been told that LPS wouldnt be keepable in a Zeo system, and that a mixed reef is close to impossible - but I havent had any issues with it thus far. And to those that are angry about the unknown materials - I get it, I do. But I dont care whats in the containers, as long as I get the perscribed results - in the end, thats what Im paying for. All of the additional stuff is great too, but as a chemist by trade, I try not to add something that Im not testing for when it comes to chemicals - so K/B Balance isnt in the cards for me. I dont dose aminos, I dont dose spur. I wouldnt know to dose those either unless it states specifically to test for "potassium at levels of X - Y" or whatever. I think people get carried away just scooping up all of the blue bottles and dosing everything that is available.

All Im doing is attempting to establish a stable system - good quality imputs that I can control (salt, 2 part, etc) and maintain a nutrient export system that can keep up with the large number of fish that I keep.

hybridazn, Anirban and iiluisii like this.
  9. iiluisii

Post your schedule if you don't mind.

ksfulk likes this.
  10. ksfulk

ksfulk Grow sticks, grow!!! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Here's my current routine:

Monday
    : 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~1 minute
    Tuesday: 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~1 minute
    Wednesday: 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, 12 drops ZeoBak, 5 drops ZeoFood (if I didnt dose on Saturday), Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~2 minutes
    Thursday: 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~1 minute
    Friday: 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~1 minute
    Saturday: 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, 10 drops ZeoBak, 5 drops ZeoFood (if I didnt dose on Wednesday), 10-20% water change/sand vacuum, Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~15-20 minutes
    Sunday: 1ml ZeoStart, 8 drops SpongePower, Pump the ZeoVit Reactor 10-12 times: Time spent ~1 minute

Total time spent in a week: less than 30 minutes

11. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award PMAS Member Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Great points, and some of those are why I've decided to give this a whirl. I'm always fiddling with the tank every night so adding another 5-10 minutes to add a couple drops of something or shake some stones isn't a big deal.

So to aid in keeping alk low in a zeovit system, what salt is everyone using. I'm switching to this from RSCP

20170509_230858.jpg
    Aquaforest reef salt. Alk is between 7.8-8.2

iiluisii and ksfulk like this.
  12. ksfulk

Ive used IO since the start of the tank, but I recently have been going with Red Sea blue bucket, since the parameters are more in line with what Im attempting to keep. Plus, since Im not QTing a bunch of fish anymore, Im not going through 120lbs of salt a month now :)

hybridazn likes this.
  13. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award PMAS Member Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice, I thought about the blue bucket lime I said but the price of the blue bucket is more than the box of aquaforest from BED. The blue bucket costs more locally as well, the Same as RSCP

14. hybridazn

Whoa I missed s bunch of posts, stupid work lol. I'll reply to the others here when I can lol

15. iiluisii

Great I'm ordering mine this weekend.

hybridazn likes this.
  16. hybridazn

Thanks for sharing. How long have you been using zeo?

Beautiful pics! That's what comes to mind when I think of a zeovit tank and what I am striving for!

What is your total water volume?

Like you I too want to be more "hands on" and be aware of things daily as opposed to waiting for something to go wrong to be active about it. I feel zeovit will keep me on my toes more so to speak.

Thank you for sharing your schedule. I would love to see some pics if you have any to share.

17. BroadBno615

BroadBno615 Well-Known Member

So for the ppl that have used zeovit. How did you get started?

hybridazn likes this.
  18. iiluisii

You will need the reactor, the zeolite stones , zeobak, Zeostart3 and zeofood.

Anirban and hybridazn like this.
  19. hybridazn

Could anyone elaborate on the first 14 days on what to do for zeovit?

20. Mike220

Mike220 Well-Known Member

Why don't they tell the dose is maximum ?
    Stupid information

1stNoel and hybridazn like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted