Zero nitrate/phosphate, should I run skimmer?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2017
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,566
Location
Houston, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System:
50g frag tank (3 months old)
trigger 30 sump
refugium (doesn't yet grow chaeto)
(Somatic 60 skimmer on standby)
4 fish, planning on adding a few more

I haven't installed the skimmer yet because I'm still at 0 nitrate & phosphate. I'm trying to get it to at least 10ppm/.05ppm respectively so I can add corals (zoas & shrooms mostly).
So should I be running the skimmer?
 
System:
50g frag tank (3 months old)
trigger 30 sump
refugium (doesn't yet grow chaeto)
(Somatic 60 skimmer on standby)
4 fish, planning on adding a few more

I haven't installed the skimmer yet because I'm still at 0 nitrate & phosphate. I'm trying to get it to at least 10ppm/.05ppm respectively so I can add corals (zoas & shrooms mostly).
So should I be running the skimmer?

I wouldn’t run it or if you want to run for oxygen remove the cup
 
I would say no, if anything I would dose to raise both. Running 0 nitrates and phosphate open you up to a whole bunch of other issues including Dinos.
 
I would say no, if anything I would dose to raise both. Running 0 nitrates and phosphate open you up to a whole bunch of other issues including Dinos.
Thanks, I will do that. I bought both nitrate and phosphate for dosing, but was trying to raise them naturally.
Had no idea about the dinos with 0/0
 
Thanks, I will do that. I bought both nitrate and phosphate for dosing, but was trying to raise them naturally.
Had no idea about the dinos with 0/0
It caused my tank to crash, had to rebuild it, not fun. Now I manage my nitrates and phosphate much more.

Its a balancing act, you want to promote green algae without actually growing it so it out competes Dinos and such.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new