Zibba's Reefs -- ADA 90P & Envision 100g

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my thread. I'm new to Reef2Reef and I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with this community and getting feedback as these tanks take form. This will be my second endeavor into the hobby. I had a standard Oceanic 90-gallon set up from 2007 to mid-2009. Knowing that these two tanks are going to take some time to set up, I'll definitely be sharing pictures from the past to keep this thread filled with photos. On that note, my second hobby is photography and I particularly love aquarium photography. I'll do my best to post lots of pictures along the way. But I'm a novice and always trying to learn new tricks. Any tips are greatly appreciated. The same goes for reefkeeping. Although I learned a lot with my 90-gallon over that 2.5 years, I learn something new with practically every thread I open!

Anyway, enough background -- we'll talk more about that later -- on with the show.

I sold off every piece of equipment when I got out of the hobby back in 2009 so I'm literally starting at ground zero. I wanted to do something different this time around and thought of doing one larger tank (60x36x20) but it just didn't look right after taping off those dimensions in the room. I also couldn't decide whether to go with starphire glass or acrylic on that bigger tank. So to calm my indecisiveness, I decided to go with two display tanks (in two different rooms) and a third grow out system, none of which are up and running yet.

Tank #1 -- ADA 90-P

I've always appreciated the clean lines of ADA aquariums. The dimensions of this tank are 35.5"x17.75"x17.75" with a clear overflow. This is very unique to say the least. Actually, now that I've had it for awhile, I can't decide whether I want to paint back black or leave it. Seems sacrilegious to even think about modifying this tank. But I'd like everyone's opinion on that. This is going to be more a new-age, LPS dominated, techi-reef.

The equipment list is still being modified and I'd like input going forward:

Lighting
1 x Ecotech Radion

Flow
1 x MP10wes or 1 x MP40wes or both; I just don't want to have the pumps ruin the overall ascetics.

Skimmer
JNS Cone 2 (aka Aquamaxx Cone 2)
or
RO SRO-XP1000

Return Pump
Waterblaster 3000; 750 gph internal (T-off to manifold for carbon, gfo, uv, etc.)
or
Pan-world 50pxx; 1100 gph external (T-off to manifold for carbon, gfo, uv, etc.)

Here are a few shots of the empty aquarium:

20120321-DSC_6725.jpg

20120305-DSC_6643.jpg

20120305-DSC_6638.jpg

20120321-DSC_6730.jpg

Tank #2 -- Envision Acrylic

I'll admit, I got lucky with this aquarium. A local reefer purchased it and never set it up because it was a bit too large for his space (don't worry, he ended up with a rockin' Elos 70). This aquarium is completely custom from head-to-toe: a rimless, coast-to-coast external overflow beauty. Dimensions are 36"x32"x22". The plan for this tank is quite a bit different. It will be predominately SPS and what many will consider to "old-school" due to the lighting choice. Several years ago, all the best aquariums I saw in person were lit with Radiums and VHOs. So this is going to have a single 250w Radium in a Lumenbright pendant with two UVL VHO Super Actinics built into a floating canopy that will hang 12-18" over the tank.

Lighting
Lumenbright Pendant with 250w Radium
Lumentek select-a-watt ballast (will run Radium on 250wHQI setting)
2x36"-UVL VHO Super Actinics on ARO Ballast

Skimmer
JNS Cone 3 (aka Aquamaxx cone 3)
or
RO SROXP 2000
or
[open to other options]

Flow
This is where things get tricky on this build. The coast to coast overflow limits placement of vortechs on the back wall; so I may end up going with Tunze streams (I used the old 6100s and nanos on my old tank and experienced great customer service) but I remain undecided at this point. As the build progresses, I'll be researching more on this end.

Return Pump
Waterblaster 5000
or
Pan-world P50XX (if I don't use it on the ADA)

I'm going to tease you with some sketch-up drawings from the previous owner since I don't have any good pictures of this one yet.

envisiondisplaytankfron.jpg

envisiondisplaytankback.jpg

That's it for now, tons more to come. Hope you join and enjoy the ride!!

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick!!! I love your angles!! now let's get this thing ROLLING WITH SOME PIC'S filled up!!!!....Suscribed!...go with the MP 40's!!! Trust me!!

cabi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I'm about to set up my tank with the same dimmesions.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Reefer & cabi for joining in!

I'll be taking my time in buying equipment and waiting to find good deals because setting up a few different aquariums at the same time can get expensive really fast! But I know there are few pieces of equipment that I'm just going to have to pony up and buy new (e.g. Radion and the JNS skimmers, if I go that route).

With that said, I have bought a few toys already:

First purchase:
photo.jpg

Second purchase:
20120321-DSC_6734.jpg

Then I bought the aquariums! :)

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can tell from the background of the MP40, I'm already cooking rock in the grow-out tank. I got the rock from another local reefer who was tearing down his tank. The rock was live and covered in coraline, but for my own piece of mind, I wanted to start fresh. So I gave it an acid bath in muriatic acid, rinsed/scrubbed it under a garden hose, then let it dry off under the Phoenix sun for a few days. I forgot to take pictures of the entire process, but I have some pictures from the last time I did this so these should give you a general idea of what I did this time around.

Remember "do as you oughta, add acid to watta," use gloves and do this outdoors or in a well ventilated area. :)

Nano4of6.jpg

I mixed this in a 5:1 ratio (water:acid), which turned an every day garbage can into what will appear to be the best skimmer ever:
Nano5of6.jpg

Nano6of6.jpg

The rock came out pretty clean, but I did end up scrubbing the rock off with a toothbrush under a garden hose to get the last of the nasties off. Even still, there's plenty of crap that sheds off during the cooking process. I'll start documenting how I'm doing that.

Last edited:

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a fun project on your hands. Are you planning to cover the overflow\pipes in the ADA tank?
I have an ADA tank and love it, although got a couple of scratches so be carfeful.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exciting builds and I see you have some photography skills too! :D Welcome to R2R! Please keep us updated!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a fun project on your hands. Are you planning to cover the overflow\pipes in the ADA tank?
I have an ADA tank and love it, although got a couple of scratches so be carfeful.

You know, I'm not sure. If your ADA has an overflow, did you cover yours? Any pictures or thoughts? Between the acrylic and ada, I'm definitely going to have to be careful when it comes to scratches!

Dublo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zibba!!!!! What have you done to my poor rock?!? :cry: haha j/k. Glad to see you will be able to use at least some of the stuff you got from me. I knew you were the one that snagged that custom envision tank. That thing is freaking nice! I'm also glad you haven't shown actual pictures yet, not sure if these people can handle it or not LOL. Good luck buddy, i'll be following along.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zibba!!!!! What have you done to my poor rock?!? :cry: haha j/k. Glad to see you will be able to use at least some of the stuff you got from me. I knew you were the one that snagged that custom envision tank. That thing is freaking nice! I'm also glad you haven't shown actual pictures yet, not sure if these people can handle it or not LOL. Good luck buddy, i'll be following along.

Sorry Dublo! haha :) Some of the rock I got from you is going in the ADA, some will go in the envision -- there are a few cool pieces of rock. Your 40br set up is going to be made into a nice frag tank eventually. I'll be taking your advice and making some modifications to the stand and repainting it. All in time!!

Since we're talking about rock. I kind of made a small misstep: I started cooking the rock before planning the aquascaping. Meaning, that by the time it comes to epoxying/shaping the rock it should have some "liveness" to it and I'll have to work under a little more pressure. I might just start planning the aquascaping this weekend and re-cook the rock. Dry scaping is definitely easier.

As with almost all the builds these days, I'll be going with a relatively small amount of rock in the main display. Anything left over will be placed into the sump or refugium if there's room. If there's not enough room, I'll just sell it or hold onto it for the next project (as if I don't have enough on my plate already!).

Here's a sneak peak at how I like to aquascape:

Bulkheads1of9.jpg

I'll be sure to post a few different layouts so I can get some feedback.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was hoping to give an update with some different aquascapes today but I just wasn't happy with anything I made yesterday. So, I'm going to try again in the next few days to see what I can come up with. I'll post a few ideas soon.

In the mean time, I found a good deal on a MP10wes for the ADA:
20120321-DSC_6732.jpg

I tested it along with the MP40wes on the 40br rock cooking aquarium and it's pretty nifty! Fun to see them anti-sync. Makes me rethink my flow ideas on both the ADA and Envision. I was a little disappointed with how loud they were at full power though. I'm picky when it comes to noisy tanks. We'll see how they perform over time.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my MP40's!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my MP40's!

Did yours quiet down over time? I've experienced sound-dampening with skimmers in the past. At this point, I'm thinking I might need to send mine into Ecotech. When they're at 100% I can hear them when I'm on the other side of the house.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried moving them around and adjusting them as they run to see if you can find a quiet spot? Mine are fairly quiet actually.

Are these brand new?

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I followed Ecotech's directions of moving them around on the lowest setting until they are quiet, which they are. It's just that when I turn them up or set them to one of the pulse settings, hear vibration and/or the motor running pretty loud. Both the MP40 and MP10 are used; manufacture dates are August 2011 and April 2011, respectively.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks anemonekeeper! I'll get pictures of the acrylic tank up ASAP. :)

For the time being, I need some advice on aquascaping. I only had a chance to put together two options for the Envision, but figured you guys/gals could point me in a direction. As a reminder the dimensions are 36x32x22, but the interior dimensions are about 34x28x21. Forgive the crudeness, the box in the background is to give me an idea on height. The tank will be about right at the edge of the top picture and the overflow will pour over right at the top of the box.

Idea #1:
Front
20120326-DSC_6754.jpg

Right
20120326-DSC_6747.jpg

Right-front
20120326-DSC_6746.jpg

20120326-DSC_6753.jpg

Left-front
20120326-DSC_6756.jpg

Left
20120326-DSC_6757.jpg

Top-down
20120326-DSC_6752.jpg

20120326-DSC_6749.jpg

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Envision is not in the room it will ultimately end up in and it's a little dusty at the moment, but here's a sneek peak:

20120329-DSC_6862.jpg

20120329-DSC_6861.jpg

20120329-DSC_6859.jpg

20120329-DSC_6851.jpg

20120329-DSC_6852.jpg

Here's a quick look at the plumbing, more of which will be covered later.

20120329-DSC_6855.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back