OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, thanks for the reminder. I needed to hear that!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, thanks for the reminder. I needed to hear that!

LoL. Seems like I need to remind myself that everytime I have a "thought" of getting livestock to put in the tank. I should be very happy with what I have now. :)

I know it's different for you as you're in the most exciting times with your tanks, esp having two tanks to fill. Man, just thinking about it gets me excited for yah. Haha...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some awesome corals at the local auction yesterday (at some amazing prices). Reality ultimately set in though -- there were many other corals that went for amazing prices -- and I let some really nice pieces go to other good homes.

All of the corals are still acclimating, but here's a list of what I picked up:

ORA Pearlberry
ORA Purple Plasma
Vivid Ultimate Rainbow Acro
Dendros
Mummy Eye Chalice
Hollywood Stunner Chalice
Orange Ricordia
Tubbs Blue Zoas
Vivid Rainbow Zoas

I did a water change tonight so the tank was still a little stirred up and the SPS pictures just weren't turning out. Here are a few pictures of corals from this evening that I picked up:

**Note: These are all taken under LEDs late into the evening so they're really far into the "blue" spectrum -- colors really appear this vibrant under that lighting though**

Orange ricordia:
DSC_8425_zpsc6964639.jpg

Vivid Rainbow Zoas/Palys (not sure which):
DSC_8427_zpse5c177b1.jpg

Hollywood Stunner Chalice:
DSC_8428_zps830612ec.jpg

Tubb's Blue Zoa's:
DSC_8430_zps94e0384c.jpg

PROP Mummy Eye (not sure if this is the OG, OR, or another morph):
DSC_8434_zpsca4d0402.jpg

ReefStew's Dendros:
DSC_8437_zps8979f8d0.jpg

(they've already eaten mysis, but aren't fully out in this picture)

I also won a Rod's Food pack in an raffle, which was really awesome. I've been wanting to try this food out for awhile, so thanks again for the donation Rod!! :)

DSC_8423_zps5d0d66a9.jpg

Here are a few other pictures:

Red Starfish (the GF picked this guy up mid-week) :)
DSC_8420_zps11689e22.jpg

Phoenix Sunset Chalice (Ha, just made that name up as it was some random chalice I picked up from the LFS. Again, I've shared pictures of this one multiple times, but it keeps getting better and better. No joke, it's way more pink than this in the ADA!)
DSC_8436_zpsacb8e205.jpg

Neon Green Nepthia (loving thing thing -- great movement and color! Softies are underrated!!)
DSC_8440_zps7dc140b0.jpg

Have a good night. More updates tomorrow.

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tease! Hit and run like that! LOL! I love all of the corals you listed. Namely the pearlberry! Hard to come by in these parts.

I love, love, love, love those Tubbs Blue Zoas! I had those in my last tank right next to some Bam Bams, and doood! They were crackalackin' together!

Lovely selection, bro! Yes... I said lovely. I don't say that for just anyone. :) LOL!

Also, you'll like Rod's Food. I use it, and have used it, all the time. I like to make my own food, but it's great to have Rod's around when you need it. Remember, a little goes a long way with it.

Looking forward to tomorrow's update. Have a good night!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tease! Hit and run like that! LOL! I love all of the corals you listed. Namely the pearlberry! Hard to come by in these parts.

I love, love, love, love those Tubbs Blue Zoas! I had those in my last tank right next to some Bam Bams, and doood! They were crackalackin' together!

Lovely selection, bro! Yes... I said lovely. I don't say that for just anyone. :) LOL!

Also, you'll like Rod's Food. I use it, and have used it, all the time. I like to make my own food, but it's great to have Rod's around when you need it. Remember, a little goes a long way with it.

Looking forward to tomorrow's update. Have a good night!

You crack me up Flip! Thank you very much for the compliments. I think the pearlberry that I ended up with was the highest priced "frag" (I use quotes over "frag" because it's a 2" multibranch piece and super colorful) at the auction, however, it was easily worth the high price tag as it would have been at least double what I paid in any store (B&M or online).

I've always liked tubbs blues too, but I've never been able to keep them successfully -- they just melted away on me. Hoping that things are different this go-round. I think these would look really sweet next to some bam bams, which are pretty common around here so I might try to find some and make a little garden somewhere in the ADA.

So far, Rod's food has been a hit. I fed a mixture of the normal blend and some fish eggs yesterday. Everything was gobbled up in seconds!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More updates
I have a melanarus wrasse in QT that is ready to come out. Super colorful and FAT! :) It's eating everything. Really excited about this guy. Going to try and get some pictures up soon.

In other, more unfortunate news, the lawnmower blenny went missing. Seriously, no clue where it went. I've looked all over and around the QT and nothing. Vanished. I'm going to pick up another one though -- either today or early this week.

After doing the water change yesterday, I set up the BRS dual reactor to run carbon (1-cup) and GFO (1/4-cup). I hooked up a Maxi-1200 and let 'er rip (after pumping about 4-gallons of clean saltwater through it into the sink to get rid of the fines). The pump is super loud on the reactor though. Not happy about that. I woke up in the middle of the night and unplugged it because it was annoying me. I'm going to find another pump to use or see if I can find a way to quiet this one down. I'm not sure if it's the back pressure that's causing the noise or something else. I just need to play with it and see if there's something I did wrong.

The QT will be empty so it's time to start planning the next round of fish. Here's the current stocking list:

Envision:

Fish
Melanarus Wrasse (going in today)
Trio of Bartlett's Anthias
Royal Gramma
Orchid Dottyback

Corals

Wild Aussie Table Acro
ORA Hawkins
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Purple Plasma
ORA Red Planet
ORA Joe the Coral
Tyree Oregon Tort
Tyree Strawberry Shortcake
Midnight Stag
Blue Tipped Tenuis

ADA:

FishBlue Flasher Wrasse (juvi) -- so lonely, needs friends asap!

Corals
Neon Green Nepthia
Mummy Eye Chalice
Phoenix Sunset Chalice
Dendros
Duncans
Tubbs Blue Zoas
Vivid Rainbow Palys
Orange Ricorida
Red Salsa Mushrooms

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome additions and planning! There must be something in the water, bro... My Starry Blenny (very similar to a LMB) went missing this weekend too. My wife noticed it yesterday. Odd...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Envision:

Fish
Melanarus Wrasse (going in today)
Trio of Bartlett's Anthias
Royal Gramma
Orchid Dottyback

Corals

Wild Aussie Table Acro
ORA Hawkins
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Purple Plasma
ORA Red Planet
ORA Joe the Coral
Tyree Oregon Tort
Tyree Strawberry Shortcake
Midnight Stag
Blue Tipped Tenuis

ADA:

FishBlue Flasher Wrasse (juvi) -- so lonely, needs friends asap!

Corals
Neon Green Nepthia
Mummy Eye Chalice
Phoenix Sunset Chalice
Dendros
Duncans
Tubbs Blue Zoas
Vivid Rainbow Palys
Orange Ricorida
Red Salsa Mushrooms
list is starting to fill in. 1smile1

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks look awesome. My fishes and corals love Rod's food.

Thanks Thanh! I'm really liking Rod's food -- mixing & matching the different blends and the fish go nuts! We've been target feeding the duncans and dendros with PE mysis, Rod's Mysis and Fish eggs a few times/week too.

Awesome additions and planning! There must be something in the water, bro... My Starry Blenny (very similar to a LMB) went missing this weekend too. My wife noticed it yesterday. Odd...

Dang, bad luck for both of us. And, sorry to hear about your starry blenny. I still haven't had a chance to get over to any of the LFSs -- hopefully I'll have one in QT before the weekend.

Nice shots, I love that Starfish!

Thanks, me/us too! :) I'd also like to get a blue one at some point.
list is starting to fill in. 1smile1

Slowly but surely! :) The little frags are starting to show some growth too. I took some pictures on Monday evening, but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. Soon though.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pictures of the newest SPS additions from last weekend:

ORA Purple Plasma
DSC_8458_zps0ee33278.jpg

ORA Pearlberry
DSC_8469_zps76f15715.jpg

Vivid Rainbow Acro (tiny little guy)
DSC_8463_zps451b2cd1.jpg

As you can probably tell from some of those pictures, I'm still experiencing some new-tank-syndrom algae (what I believe is cyano, dinos, diatoms and possibly hair algae). Besides starting to run some GFO/Carbon and continuing with my regular water changes, I haven't taken any other proactive steps. Still waiting to see if things work themselves out.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new editions s Zibba, I heard things went pretty cheap last weekend.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new additions look great!!

Thanks, Krista! And, I have some news that's right up your alley. My better-half has been researching seahorses for awhile. She really wants to add them to the ADA, but I'm pushing her towards setting up a dedicated tank in her "woman cave" at my house so that we can keep the proper temp. I think we're getting close to setting up that tank -- maybe 4-6 months down the road. Not sure which ponies we'll end up with though. Do you have a build going somewhere? I looked but didn't find it and would love to pick your brain.

Nice new editions s Zibba, I heard things went pretty cheap last weekend.

Thanks Brett. Yeah, things went dirt cheap -- at least -- IMO. Several corals went home because the minimum bids weren't met, which actually made me really happy because the owners shouldn't have lowered the price. If I would have had a bigger budget, the tank could have easily been filed with named/prize/beautiful corals. And, I'm using the term "budget" very loosely since both my GF and myself hit up the ATM at the auction! :) As of right now, I'm planning to go to the next FRAG meeting on Feb. 16. If you can make it up, let me know!

Very nice, that PP is a hairy looking Acro!

Thanks skinz! I'm loving the polyp extension on the PP and it's right next to ORA's "Joe the Coral," which is really "hairy" too -- so I'm looking forward to seeing them all grown up. How's your tank coming along? I think you're due for an update! ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to "hit-and-run" here, but I'll provide more details tomorrow. I picked up a TON of new additions for the tank tonight ;)

DSC_8492_zps12f6d8ff.jpg

Here's a view that any reefer can appreciate ("Zibba's Glow"):
DSC_8484_zpsabfbe584.jpg

Good night!

Last edited:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back