Zip-lock bags reef safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Formulator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to mount a magnetic frag rack to the front of my overflow, so the “dry side” of the magnet would be submerged in my overflow box. Since I’m not 100% confident in the seal integrity of that magnet, I was thinking about putting it in a zip-lock bag to keep it dry while submerged. Should I be concerned about leachables from the bag?
 
As long as the bag is empty when you start i don't think you need to worry about anything leaching. The bag may get covered in coralline algae with time.
 
Perhaps silicone bags might be better as those can be obtained being air tight. Don’t think it leaches but Randy would be best to ask
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new