Zoa ID please :)

Anthony Epifano

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
136
Reaction score
101
Location
Marlton
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Need some help IDing a zoa I picked up at my local fish store. It caught my eye in the misc section for 29.99. It has a decent amount of heads on it too! Let me know what you think!

PS: I don’t really care about names, but curious to hear what you think. I’ve been reefing for 15 years now and the names have gotten out of control!

D2949F1E-7109-477A-95D5-E037AE530580.jpeg D5B20838-08A6-4509-B528-257AEEB0F8AD.jpeg
 
Hey all!

Need some help IDing a zoa I picked up at my local fish store. It caught my eye in the misc section for 29.99. It has a decent amount of heads on it too! Let me know what you think!

PS: I don’t really care about names, but curious to hear what you think. I’ve been reefing for 15 years now and the names have gotten out of control!

D2949F1E-7109-477A-95D5-E037AE530580.jpeg D5B20838-08A6-4509-B528-257AEEB0F8AD.jpeg
Hawaiian people eaters
 
For future reference, many zoas and palys are toxic, so you shouldn't really be handling them with your bare hands. Particularly not any of the larger ones, as the especially nasty ones tend to be larger. Nothing to worry about as long as you take the same basic precautions that should be applied to anything involved in a reef tank (to avoid bacterial infections), but not something you want on your skin, just in case.

They're Hawaiian somethings. They should get to a decent size per polyp, and may spread at a fairly high rate, so put 'em somewhere you want a nice big patch.
 
Looks like Hawaiian agaves ding dangs possibly
@FreshSaltH2o is pretty on the money with zoa identification. The ding dangs though don't have that high of a pink look to them. I do 100% agree they are Hawaiian though. AquaSD was selling some in the past as Pink Galaxy zoas, and I grabbed some. Here is their photo of them https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1496/0344/products/PinkGalaxyPalys-_50_720x.png?v=1668908352 Also while looking up other names for it, I came across people in the UK selling them as Yellow Mambas for some reason.
 
@FreshSaltH2o is pretty on the money with zoa identification. The ding dangs though don't have that high of a pink look to them. I do 100% agree they are Hawaiian though. AquaSD was selling some in the past as Pink Galaxy zoas, and I grabbed some. Here is their photo of them https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1496/0344/products/PinkGalaxyPalys-_50_720x.png?v=1668908352 Also while looking up other names for it, I came across people in the UK selling them as Yellow Mambas for some reason.
So may variations of this zoa all of them are nice. Agreed it definitely has more pinkish hues.
 
For future reference, many zoas and palys are toxic, so you shouldn't really be handling them with your bare hands. Particularly not any of the larger ones, as the especially nasty ones tend to be larger. Nothing to worry about as long as you take the same basic precautions that should be applied to anything involved in a reef tank (to avoid bacterial infections), but not something you want on your skin, just in case.

They're Hawaiian somethings. They should get to a decent size per polyp, and may spread at a fairly high rate, so put 'em somewhere you want a nice big patch.
I should wear gloves when I handle these, but my hands didn’t have any open cuts and I avoid grabbing them by the heads but I better be safe than sorry as my mother would tell me.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new