zoa melting HELP!

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had it these last two weeks I've been seeing some of my zoas melt one by one as if its a disease spreading to each frag.

All along my frags been growing tremendously from 2-3 polyps to 10-15 polyps in about a month. But I've noticed some frags which were doing very well initially slowly melt away polyp by polyp then frag piece by frag piece.:cry:

So I'm not really sure what may cause this, could it be an unforseen pest in the tank?

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing iodine to the tank did the trick for me. I used to have the problem of zoos slowly melting away. I use Kent's liquid slow release Iodine weekly.

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did u use Kents Lugol iodine and dosed weekly? right now I'm quite discouraged w/ my tank's zoas slowly dying off.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your zoas can be removed from the tank, i would cut away the ones that are infected and make sure you scrape off any nasty looking stuff. and then try an iodine dip. i have also tried a peroxide dip but doesnt always work.

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i tried the iodine dip yesterday and removed all the dying zoas. I placed the frag back to the tank but still looks like its struggling to open up.

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you inspected for pests? Nudis? Would be a good idea to give them a good dip in Revive in any case.

What fish are in the tank? It's possible something is nipping at them.

Look closely for worms that have taken up residence between the polyps and could be irritating them.

How much light are the problematic zoos in? Some like TONS of light.

What are your parameters? Mine don't like low Alk. Temperature swings? pH swings?

You dipped in iodine, but did you try dosing the tank like I recommended?

Have you tried spot feeding them? If your tank is sterile (ULNS) they may be starving.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back