Zoa rock purchase help.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys my name is Nathan and i am new to the reefing community, my brother introduced me to it and i am enjoying learning how to take care of my little peice of the ocean.
I recently made a purchase of a mixed zoa rock and i was happy with it until i looked at the back of it and saw some white spiky ball.. is it a hitchiker or is it a normal part of a zoa colony.

Please help me with identifying it.

Ive attached an image.

Thanks in advance

218426228_534364711328530_6601952063367718295_n.jpg
hi Nathan and Welcome,
+1 vote ball anemone - despite others opinions on colonial hydriod ...

I'm dealing with both at moment. Instead of trying to smother ball anemone with F-Aiptasia like I recommended, my BF instead decided to scrub it off, resulting in each tiny bit becoming its own anemone... so we went from one to oodles... Still not a 'terrible' pest, but like anything you don't want its much easier to deal with one/few than hundreds/thousands... if i counted my colonial hydroids I might even be in tens of thousands... in pictures my colonial hydroids look like I have algae with their green center (comes in different colors), its that many... but in person or up close they are obviously not algae. Hydroids everyone says they clear up on their own, ... jury here still out on that but don't want a sea hare and can't find lynx nudibranch... glad nothing is bothered by them

Glad you joined. Would love to see more photos

OP
OP
N

Nathan123789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Nathan and Welcome,
+1 vote ball anemone - despite others opinions on colonial hydriod ...

I'm dealing with both at moment. Instead of trying to smother ball anemone with F-Aiptasia like I recommended, my BF instead decided to scrub it off, resulting in each tiny bit becoming its own anemone... so we went from one to oodles... Still not a 'terrible' pest, but like anything you don't want its much easier to deal with one/few than hundreds/thousands... if i counted my colonial hydroids I might even be in tens of thousands... in pictures my colonial hydroids look like I have algae with their green center (comes in different colors), its that many... but in person or up close they are obviously not algae. Hydroids everyone says they clear up on their own, ... jury here still out on that but don't want a sea hare and can't find lynx nudibranch... glad nothing is bothered by them

Glad you joined. Would love to see more photos
After reading your message i did a quick google search for ball anemone, turns out they like to come out at night. I will watch after lights out and see what happens with it.
It seems like a good size to use some tweezers on. Just a shame i dont have any tweezers :)
Thanks for you message, i will upload some more pictures soon. :)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your message i did a quick google search for ball anemone, turns out they like to come out at night. I will watch after lights out and see what happens with it.
It seems like a good size to use some tweezers on. Just a shame i dont have any tweezers :)
Thanks for you message, i will upload some more pictures soon. :)
If it is, do NOT use tweezers... you'll break it and then each broken part becomes another... Smother it.

Pickup Frank's F-Aiptasia or perhaps Aiptasia X is similar - don't use something injectable like Joe's Juice etc due to risk of injection accidentally breaking off bit with needle.

OP
OP
N

Nathan123789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is, do NOT use tweezers... you'll break it and then each broken part becomes another... Smother it.

Pickup Frank's F-Aiptasia or perhaps Aiptasia X is similar - don't use something injectable like Joe's Juice etc due to risk of injection accidentally breaking off bit with needle.
Ah right.. good point xD. Il pick up some aiptasia x tomorrow.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NATHAN!!! WELCOME!!! As others have said, looks like a Ball Nem or colonial hydroid. In either case, look how your zoas are responding to their presence, and from the photo, it looks as though they are not responding positively. So, they/it must go! How you deal with them, follow what @Fish Think Pink advises, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back