Zoa sellers- I need advice!

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone who frags and sells zoas-
How often do you frag?
What tools are your favorite for fragging?
Do you ever have trouble knowing how to price?
Do you try to sell more as single polyps or as multiple?
Show me your frag tank setup!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas take a while, palys I can't frag fast enough. I don't do high end stuff but I have been fragging with a nice stainless steel pocket knife for many years and usually sell zoas around $10 for 4 polyps (obviously some are a little cheaper, some a little more expensive). I never sell my homegrown zoas for more than $15 a frag (I like to give people deals)

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started fragging my zoas. I like to create frags that have at least 2 -3 polyps so that there is a better chance for the polyps to establish themselves on the new frag. I have some high ends that I want to frag but the grow pretty slowly (about one new polyp every couples of weeks). I just use boxed razor blades to cut the matting of the zoas and then carefully scrap them off then glue them directly to the new frag plug. People have said it is better to not glue the polyps directly to the frag because the glue can cause the polyps to die. But so far in my experience all of my fragged zoas have survived and opened up over time. I try to frag many about once a month depending on how populated my tank gets. I only have a 10 gallon with about 12 different zoanthids.

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, I am still struggling on pricing. I have some high end zoas that I have seen people selling one polyp for $100 but I plan on selling one polyp of that same species for maybe $60 or $70. I am dropping the price because I want people to come back to buy more frags for discounted prices. I have seen a lot of locals in my area creating whole threads of about 30 different zoanthid frags that they have put up for sale. But they have those threads posted every couple of months.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back