Zoa won’t close

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Zoa colonies won’t close not for some reason. I’ve blown food on them and touched a little with a sea squirt and they won’t close. They look like small umbrellas. Is this cause for concern?

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this bad boy up today. May be a change in venue is causing him issues?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures always helpful. But I think no this isn’t a problem. Usually when they don’t open you have problems
@footgal might be able to help more
I just put the frag in today so it may just be a change of scenery causing him issues. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. It looks like what I’ve seen called “umbrella syndrome”. But I doesn’t look like it’s bothering the zoa so no big deal if it wants to look like that.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoa looks completely normal. I’ve got a couple zoas that won’t shut no matter what I do. Lights out, poking them, even throughout the fragging process; completely open. I’ll take the colony out, frag it, and the freshly glued frags that have been totally out of the water for at least 2 minutes now are still wide open.

“Umbrellaing” would be where the center of the zoa is above the skirt— so it’s inverted. This is usually caused by a lack of light and can be easily remedied but I don’t see yours doing that :)

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoa looks completely normal. I’ve got a couple zoas that won’t shut no matter what I do. Lights out, poking them, even throughout the fragging process; completely open. I’ll take the colony out, frag it, and the freshly glued frags that have been totally out of the water for at least 2 minutes now are still wide open.

“Umbrellaing” would be where the center of the zoa is above the skirt— so it’s inverted. This is usually caused by a lack of light and can be easily remedied but I don’t see yours doing that :)
Thanks! I’ll keep you posted

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was that frag earlier tonight

Attachments

• 34527B9A-41E9-4A19-BC91-4BFBECFF9FDC.jpeg
    34527B9A-41E9-4A19-BC91-4BFBECFF9FDC.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 70

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was that frag earlier tonight
Its a lovely scrambled egg! My scrambleds don’t close at night either. They do react to me poking them pretty quickly though. The utter chaos beside them, I’ve never seen that one close all of its polyps

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a lovely scrambled egg! My scrambleds don’t close at night either. They do react to me poking them pretty quickly though. The utter chaos beside them, I’ve never seen that one close all of its polyps
Yeah I poke the crap outta this guy and he’s just like bring it on lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back