Zoa won’t close

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 4, 2020
Messages
1,946
Reaction score
1,251
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Zoa colonies won’t close not for some reason. I’ve blown food on them and touched a little with a sea squirt and they won’t close. They look like small umbrellas. Is this cause for concern?
 
Pictures always helpful. But I think no this isn’t a problem. Usually when they don’t open you have problems
@footgal might be able to help more
 
Just picked this bad boy up today. May be a change in venue is causing him issues?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 114
Pictures always helpful. But I think no this isn’t a problem. Usually when they don’t open you have problems
@footgal might be able to help more
I just put the frag in today so it may just be a change of scenery causing him issues. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. It looks like what I’ve seen called “umbrella syndrome”. But I doesn’t look like it’s bothering the zoa so no big deal if it wants to look like that.
 
The zoa looks completely normal. I’ve got a couple zoas that won’t shut no matter what I do. Lights out, poking them, even throughout the fragging process; completely open. I’ll take the colony out, frag it, and the freshly glued frags that have been totally out of the water for at least 2 minutes now are still wide open.

“Umbrellaing” would be where the center of the zoa is above the skirt— so it’s inverted. This is usually caused by a lack of light and can be easily remedied but I don’t see yours doing that :)
 
The zoa looks completely normal. I’ve got a couple zoas that won’t shut no matter what I do. Lights out, poking them, even throughout the fragging process; completely open. I’ll take the colony out, frag it, and the freshly glued frags that have been totally out of the water for at least 2 minutes now are still wide open.

“Umbrellaing” would be where the center of the zoa is above the skirt— so it’s inverted. This is usually caused by a lack of light and can be easily remedied but I don’t see yours doing that :)
Thanks! I’ll keep you posted
 
The zoa looks completely normal. I’ve got a couple zoas that won’t shut no matter what I do. Lights out, poking them, even throughout the fragging process; completely open. I’ll take the colony out, frag it, and the freshly glued frags that have been totally out of the water for at least 2 minutes now are still wide open.

“Umbrellaing” would be where the center of the zoa is above the skirt— so it’s inverted. This is usually caused by a lack of light and can be easily remedied but I don’t see yours doing that :)
This was that frag earlier tonight
 

Attachments

  • 34527B9A-41E9-4A19-BC91-4BFBECFF9FDC.jpeg
    34527B9A-41E9-4A19-BC91-4BFBECFF9FDC.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 138
This was that frag earlier tonight
Its a lovely scrambled egg! My scrambleds don’t close at night either. They do react to me poking them pretty quickly though. The utter chaos beside them, I’ve never seen that one close all of its polyps
 
Its a lovely scrambled egg! My scrambleds don’t close at night either. They do react to me poking them pretty quickly though. The utter chaos beside them, I’ve never seen that one close all of its polyps
Yeah I poke the crap outta this guy and he’s just like bring it on lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new