Zoanthid eaters have started to destroy my Zoa garden!!

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been pretty busy lately. I spent the other night cleaning and inspecting my tank and found that half of one of my largest zoanthid colonies has been eaten. I immediately took them out and dipped them and low and behold nudibranchs, a whole mess of them. I let them stay in the dip for 20 mins and the colony is still deteriorating. I think I need to toss it before it infects the others. Any thoughts?

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start dipping everything else as well unfortunately. In my experience if one corals got it more than likely everything else has it

zoacrazy42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! Hopefully the dipping and using a q-tip or brush helps. I seen some double the strength of certain dips.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dipping all of my zoas. I got rid of the one colony that they ate 3/4 of...pretty sad

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple halichoerus wrasse, dusky or lightning. Forget about all the others people list they don't hunt like these 2. Nudis will be gone in minutes.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 Line Wrasses Are Awesome.

I put a Six Line Wrasse in Every Tank as they LOVE to Eat Pests.

Without Fail Every Time I add a New Frag the 6 Line Wrasse Swims Over and Sticks His Nose in Every Nook and Cranny Inspecting for Pests.

These Guys are AMAZING and Every Tank Tank Should have a 6 Line Wrasse for Pest Control!

Also, Dip All Your Zoanthids Once a Week in Bayer for a Few Weeks.

You have to Kill Them Before they Lay Eggs because Dips Will Not Kill the Eggs and they Will Be Back Again.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty aggressive especially in a 10 gallon lol.

I do not get this Whole 6 Lines are Aggressive Thing.

I have Literally Had at Least Ten Different 6 Lines Over the Years.

I have Never Seen Them Bother Another Fish. EVER.

They Keep to Themselves.

Infact, They are Probably the Friendliest Fish that I have Ever Kept.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not get this Whole 6 Lines are Aggressive Thing.

I have Literally Had at Least Ten Different 6 Lines Over the Years.

I have Never Seen Them Bother Another Fish. EVER.

They Keep to Themselves.

Infact, They are Probably the Friendliest Fish that I have Ever Kept.

What size systems have you kept them in ? In smaller systems they can be more aggressive.

Sorry to hear about your zoa. I hope you get all sorted.

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also dip your zoas in Flatworm exit to kill nudis.

BTW, had to get rid of my 6 line in 90 gallon tank. At first he was cool, but than became a devil and started attacking my swissguard. Would swim from one end to the other just to chase the swiss. Do a search on google and you will see others have the same issue.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take all zoos out and put in a small tank, a bucket with water circulation might even do. dip on weekly basis and return to anew bucket and keep your tank zoas free for few weeks to starve out the ones in there.
As for the 6 lines they do become very aggressive, how long did you keep the ones you had? takes some time for them to grow a bit and become more territorial.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take all zoos out and put in a small tank, a bucket with water circulation might even do. dip on weekly basis and return to anew bucket and keep your tank zoas free for few weeks to starve out the ones in there.
As for the 6 lines they do become very aggressive, how long did you keep the ones you had? takes some time for them to grow a bit and become more territorial.

Some for Years.

Never had a Problem.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked a small 6 line up and he immediately booted the clown goby out of his home. He will only be in my tank until the pests are gone. It is a beautiful fish but my tank is too small too keep him in for very long .

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 6 lines are often a problem in tanks 100 gallons or less. The smaller the tank the greater the problem.
In big tanks with a lot of stone it is totally different. I even had a pair in my 400 gallon with no problem at all. (About 650 pound of live rock) Totally peaceful. No aggression between them or to other fishes.
To my customers i recommend them for 150 gallons or more with at least 100 pounds of live rock in the tank. They need something to do. Thats the reason for so much rock.
But it is easier to have a Halichoeres. Just have a place with sand for them to sleep and the problems are gone.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, this little dude is more of a borrowed fish lol. It's a beauty but too aggressive. He will be back in my lfs in about 2 weeks when I am sure that these pests are gone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back