Zoanthid stretching for light

sascoaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I have 2 zoas glued to a rock and one has 2 heads the other has 1. The stalks on the one with 2 are low and fat with it not stretching at all. But the one with 1 head is really stretching and thin and long what should I do because they are glued to the rock so the only thing I can do is turn the light up or leave it? So the question I was wondering is two things one should I turn the light up or two can I leave it or is it bad for a zoa to have to stretch?

OP
OP
S

sascoaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 73

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would suggest to take pics of what you want us to see, very difficult to offer suggestion based on description only.

But if you're sure that it is stretching, then turn up the lights or move the coral higher. They are generally described as a low light coral, but many zoa/pally can take higher light than people think

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a night pic? Zoas have stems and require moderate light and water flow. Assure it not due to elevated phosphates or nitrates. Also if you are Using NoPox, it can stress zoa corals. Too little flow will also cause stress to zoa.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture, I suspect some something different than light, they are all not opened at all. Now, did you just introduce them into the tank and if so, it can take for them few days to acclimate.
Other than that it can be flow or chemistry/nutrient issue as reefer above stated.
If they were needing more light, thyey would spread open, not reach up.

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture, I suspect some something different than light, they are all not opened at all. Now, did you just introduce them into the tank and if so, it can take for them few days to acclimate.
Other than that it can be flow or chemistry/nutrient issue as reefer above stated.
If they were needing more light, thyey would spread open, not reach up.
This is a picture of them with the lights off. OP hasn't indicated that they usually don't open when the light is on.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of them with the lights off. OP hasn't indicated that they usually don't open when the light is on.
A day time pic should definitely be posted… but I’ve had zoas in the past that take weeks to really open completely. They’re super resilient. My point was, if water quality, light and flow are good, give them time. They look like new additions and obviously not an established colony. So what can you do but wait? I don’t think one being longer than another is a sign that it is “reaching for more light.” Not at this stage anyways.

OP
OP
S

sascoaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a night pic? Zoas have stems and require moderate light and water flow. Assure it not due to elevated phosphates or nitrates. Also if you are Using NoPox, it can stress zoa corals. Too little flow will also cause stress to zoa.
Yes sorry it was a night pic here is a day pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 60

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back