Zoanthids vs. Acropora: Which Coral Gets Your Vote?

• Zoanthids

Votes: 192 33.9%
  • Acropora

Votes: 270 47.6%
  • I love them equally

Votes: 105 18.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never found the reason to have sun flower like peddles but to each their own yet I also prefer mushroom covered rocks over sticks. go figure :thinking-face:
HA! We'll have a shroom VERSUS thread soon! :p

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, I think visually I like Acropora more, but growth wise, it's almost instant gratification with Zoas

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted acros but I have more and more success with zoas

CorktownNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the appeal of acropora. They have very little movement; they're not all that colorful for the most part; and they're difficult to keep. I think they're only popular because they are so difficult to keep. They've become a sign of mastery (and for good reason). However, once the hobby advances to the point where most reefers can keep them, I predict that you will see their popularity fade very quickly. People in the future will ask, why did anyone find acro-dominant tanks attractive???

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas become very invasive and they are definitely TOXIC. I do my best to remove them from my display...

After all the horror stories, I wear gloves and eye protection when dealing with the zoas in my tank.

Acros are definitely the most sought after coral due to their challenge to keep health and thriving. The challenge is the reason for their popularity.
20230514_072235.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the appeal of acropora. They have very little movement; they're not all that colorful for the most part; and they're difficult to keep. I think they're only popular because they are so difficult to keep. They've become a sign of mastery (and for good reason). However, once the hobby advances to the point where most reefers can keep them, I predict that you will see their popularity fade very quickly. People in the future will ask, why did anyone find acro-dominant tanks attractive???
That’s the same thing people have been saying for the last 20 years and it hasn’t gotten any easier.. a successful Sps tank is very colorful and like you said a very hard challenge to succeed but it’s possible..they got plenty of movement .
IMG_0028.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the flip side, zoa can only cover rock. No form of reef, I never understood the appeal of zoas. Not that colorful for the most part and not very difficult to keep. Once one gets the hang of keeping the most basic of coral, I predict they will move on and forget all about them and move to acros and build a real reef. Then they will ask "why did I ever think a zoa dominant tank was attractive"?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These two popular corals often get a spotlight in reef aquariums, but everyone has their own preferences. We want to know which one you love more and why! Are you mesmerized by the vibrant colors, unique patterns, and diverse morphs of Zoanthids? Or do you find yourself drawn to the intricate branching structures and stunning growth forms of Acropora?

Which one gets your vote and why?

versus acro 1.jpg

coral image via @AquaSD
Acros because I can’t grow Zoas without bleaching them under too much light or them being munched on by my angels.

mruggee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my reef with a zoa garden in the center and acros the tops on the sides. My two favorites but my vote went to zoas because they have such nice unique color patterns and also are so unique - I’ve got some stylo, anacropora, Montipora and digitata that are all kinda like acro

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the diversity that I appreciate and that is why I like them equally.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a healthy appreciation for both but I'm clearly team zoa.

Reason being is that acros will break your heart in the course of a day or two; zoas will always give you a chance to save them. I realize that's a pretty broad statement but there's a lot of truth it in. I love all the branching acros and I love how people have coaxed so many different colors out of tennuis sp. I'm a sucker for colonies of large tabling acros as well. The 'but' is that in some cases their care and coloration is so tied lighting and and water parameters that it's difficult to have sustained success over the course of years and years - I know I'm not the only one who's had to break up a big beautiful long-held acro colony due to RTN or something else. That said, I do have a piece of potato chip pavona from 2003. I love my montis for the same reason I dig that pavona; it lives, looks cool.

Zoas, for their part, are a massive pain in the but. They tend to suffer from all kinds of bacterial and protozan issues. However, in most cases an zoa starts going sideways there's always things you can do to try and save them... which I've gotten very good at over the years. Further, it is a lot of fun looking for old strains and finding new ones (and I'm not talking about paying a ridiculous PP premium for something 'named' and 'released' by one coral site or another). People are coming up with 'discount bin wins' all the time in the zoa forum looking for ID's. I'd already been in the hobby 15 years when I finally really started to get into zoas. Still have the first 4-5 strains I bought including fire and ice back in 2011. That's some quality longitivtiy.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoanthid eating Asterina starfish in my tank. I've tried creating zoanthid gardens and everytime I did, they were gone in 2 weeks. My acropora though, grow from a half inch frag to being 6-8 inches tall with numerous branches. So, I guess acropora love for me.
I have a zoanthid plug that started with 6-8 polyps that I finally glued down to my rocks. So far it's taking off. Either the asterinas haven't found the zoanthids yet or they moved on to other food sources. We shall see. . . My love may switch at some point.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back