Zoanthids vs. Acropora: Which Coral Gets Your Vote?

Zoanthids vs. Acropora: Which Coral Gets Your Vote?

• Zoanthids

Votes: 192 33.9%
  • Acropora

Votes: 270 47.6%
  • I love them equally

Votes: 105 18.5%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought acro's were boring when I first started the hobby. Now I think they're easily the most beautiful things in the tank except for euphyllia.
Euphyllia win over most other corals.
I just wish I didn’t have a coral nipper as Duncan’s are my number one coral but my colony has been declining recently. I don’t know whose nipping but it was incredibly fluffy a few months ago and now it’s noticeably split down the middle of the colony.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my little pico, which is also my first dive into reefing, I was all about LPS, zoas, and shrooms. I didn't care for the other softies and the only SPS I thought I wouldn't kill was encrusting montis. Fast forward a couple of years and I've been bitten by the acro bug. I have more acro frags than the rock real estate can support, yet I still keep buying "just one more frag". I still like zoas but I see them as more of a weed. I actually bought a majano wand to beat back some zoas and claim some of that real estate back.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haven’t gotten much into acroporas yet, so my vote for zoas may be a little bit biased. However, it probably depends on the type, cost, and how easily they can be grown. I personally can’t justify paying $500 for a stick that may or may not survive, but the same can probably be said for spending $500 on a single polyp that could melt away…
They have a habit of doing that to ya. Breaks ya when it does.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin' these answers from everyone.

I guess you can say zoas are like the good girl you bring home to mom, and you sort of take them for granted because they're good to you and will always be by your side.

Acros are like the hot girl that you hope you don't tick off and leave you.

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight edge for zoas for me. Acropora frags look awful until it fills out to colony size. Can’t stand the look of a tank with a bunch of tiny stick frags on plugs. A fully grown out SPS tank looks incredible though.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Slight edge for zoas for me. Acropora frags look awful until it fills out to colony size. Can’t stand the look of a tank with a bunch of tiny stick frags on plugs. A fully grown out SPS tank looks incredible though.
They b both showers and growers.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaallll together now…. All together now

Attachments

• IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 55

Black_Electric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids simply for their hardiness and color range. Also haven't been able to grow Acropora yet, so maybe a bit of bias, haha.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neither!

Acros = too much work

Zoas = palytoxin
I enjoy my system and don’t think the husbandry requirements meet the “too much work” end of the spectrum. Zoas are fine. It’s not like ur boiling or nuking zoa /paly crusted rock and aerosolizing it. B smart on how u reef.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticks all the way…. There’s really no comparison between a brightly lit beautiful tank full of sticks vs a dark dim tank full of Zoos.

I understand some people just can’t keep acros or aren’t willing to put in the “extra” Work to keep sticks but Zoas will never compare to a fuzzy stick

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both can break your heart but also equally hook you in.
Both have their own unique challenges, but they really can work well together for those going for mixed reefs.

why either or? : )
zoa can handle higher flow, but will shrink in size slightly. Some zoa can handle high light while a good amount can not handle the high light levels of a reef where your acros will be.

and yes there is a difference between standard/pest zoa and collector zoa.

but oh yes do they work well together, easy on the eyes
76D5F53C-B579-4882-846F-0D7FC7B3459E.jpeg

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas become very invasive and they are definitely TOXIC. I do my best to remove them from my display...

After all the horror stories, I wear gloves and eye protection when dealing with the zoas in my tank.

Acros are definitely the most sought after coral due to their challenge to keep health and thriving. The challenge is the reason for their popularity.
20230514_072235.jpg

Attachments

• 20230507_071606.jpg
    20230507_071606.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 41

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back