Zoas creeping on base of SPS; is this problem?

rerana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas are creeping in on the base of some of my SPS. I am starting to get worried. Should I be? I feel like this will only get worse. One of the plugs already has a few polyps on it.

How should I deal with this? Although I like the Zoas, I like the SPS much better. I would be ok with trimming or removing the zoas if i had to, but not sure the best way to go about it. I like the rock a lot, so removing it would not be ideal. Thoughts?

39947300675_70f0fb3ea9_b.jpg
[/url]

40133322474_4fbda9a00a_b.jpg
[/url]

39947299975_75af1028bb_b.jpg
[/url]

25970261487_da69965225_b.jpg
[/url]

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way would be to move the sps. Otherwise you could take out the rock, and very carefully (not sure if these zoas carry palytoxin or not) remove them and rehome the zoas to their own island. ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO WEAR PPE WHEN HANDLING ZOAS OR PALYS!!******

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, the zoa's (faster growers) will overtake the SPS. Removing is with great caution. Zoa's and Paly's have palytoxin, which is highly poisonous...even with skin contact. So when removing wear gloves. If you've removed the rock to work at getting the zoa's off, also wear safety glasses...they can atomize this poison.

I had a problem years ago trying to net a fish and bumping into zoas in the process. I broke out with welts on my hands and spent the next day in bed feeling darn lousy.

So proceed with caution.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and one more bit of bad news....if you decide to do this removal in tank, if you PO enough of these little poison bombs, they can impact other corals and fish.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and one more bit of bad news....if you decide to do this removal in tank, if you PO enough of these little poison bombs, they can impact other corals and fish.
Agreed..Almost better to rehome the SPS. I had a similar situation except mine was GSP. It was choking out my tri color and my strawberry shortcake acro. Ended up scraping off the whole mat, still lost the strawberry acro though :(

OP
OP
rerana

rerana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I think i'll just have to keep an eye on the SPS to make sure no zoas creep up on the base, and rehome when they do. Seems like eventually I'll need new rock to isolate the zoas. I definitely did not foresee good growth as a problem back when i bought these suckers 2+ years ago. On a bright note, I have no zoas on the left side of the tank and I somehow knew to isolate the GSP on its own rock.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back