Zoas Getting Long Stalks And Closing Up

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a hydrogen peroxide dip for 5 minutes. They may not open for a week after but I have had 2 colonies that never seem to open all the way or only open for short periods of time a per day. Dipped them in peroxide and about 5 days later they began to open up more, by day 10 after the dip they seemed completely normal. Zoas can also take a while to acclimate sometimes. Be cautious dosing iodine, overdoing can be bad from what I have read. I dose iodine but only started dosing after an icp test determined my tank was deficient. I only dose half of the recommended dose as I would rather be on the low side of safe then overdosing.

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a hydrogen peroxide dip for 5 minutes. They may not open for a week after but I have had 2 colonies that never seem to open all the way or only open for short periods of time a per day. Dipped them in peroxide and about 5 days later they began to open up more, by day 10 after the dip they seemed completely normal. Zoas can also take a while to acclimate sometimes. Be cautious dosing iodine, overdoing can be bad from what I have read. I dose iodine but only started dosing after an icp test determined my tank was deficient. I only dose half of the recommended dose as I would rather be on the low side of safe then overdosing.
Agreed, I haven’t gotten the iodine as I don’t have an iodine tests available.
I might try the peroxide dip.
:)

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I haven’t gotten the iodine as I don’t have an iodine tests available.
I might try the peroxide dip.
:)
I had a frag not opening fully even after I dip them on melafix and iodine so I ended up dipping it twice on peroxide and only then they opened up.

I do 50/50 peroxide and tank water for 3 minutes.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag not opening fully even after I dip them on melafix and iodine so I ended up dipping it twice on peroxide and only then they opened up.

I do 50/50 peroxide and tank water for 3 minutes.

+1 on the 50/50. Also dont be freaked out while the zoas in the dip, I thought for sure I was killing them the first time I did a peroxide dip. They will close up, shrink and bubble like crazy.

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the 50/50. Also dont be freaked out while the zoas in the dip, I thought for sure I was killing them the first time I did a peroxide dip. They will close up, shrink and bubble like crazy.
Thank you good to know, it seems like dipping coral in peroxide would kill it like you said.
But apparently it can benefit it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back