Zoas sick, help please

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved some of my zoas from QT to DT, and they were doing great in the first couple of days. Yesterday I noticed that the zoas are not opening up and today I found that there are tiny white spots on them, I suspect those were sand grains because sometimes my sand got blown up by powerheads. (I'm planning to remove the sand bed).

Question is, what should I do with these zoas? Do I leave them to spit out the sand by themselves(if they can) or do I manually remove them, or is it a disease/infection?

Any advice will be welcomed, need help as I'm quite a noob about corals.

4bfd77abba7ad43b14be9874e0150d9.jpg b159e8a3a120def1d187724197712e4.jpg d3dba0696f86ee9f4ef9b02e00492de.jpg

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved some of my zoas from QT to DT, and they were doing great in the first couple of days. Yesterday I noticed that the zoas are not opening up and today I found that there are tiny white spots on them, I suspect those were sand grains because sometimes my sand got blown up by powerheads. (I'm planning to remove the sand bed).

Question is, what should I do with these zoas? Do I leave them to spit out the sand by themselves(if they can) or do I manually remove them, or is it a disease/infection?

4bfd77abba7ad43b14be9874e0150d9.jpg b159e8a3a120def1d187724197712e4.jpg d3dba0696f86ee9f4ef9b02e00492de.jpg
I'm a noob too, but I bought a bunch of zoas back in October and kept them in a QT until my new tank was up and cycled. When I put them into QT after dipping, some opened up right away and others took close to two weeks. When I finally moved them into my DT about six weeks ago, the same thing happened all over again.

I spent some time watching which ones seemed to be stretching for light or staying closed when they were in the path of too much flow, and then moved them around a little to adjust to whatever I guessed their ideal conditions might be. I had one frag that had to go back into QT while my tank fluctuated a little (seemed to be more sensitive than the others?), and I had a rowdy clownfish that kept kicking sand onto some. I tried blowing it off with a turkey baster at first, but eventually stopped bothering with it. Now they're all settled in and encrusting the rock around the frags plugs.

Honestly, if I were you, I might just dim the lights a little for a few days and try not to bother them while they settle in. Mine have proven to be far more resilient than I thought.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a noob too, but I bought a bunch of zoas back in October and kept them in a QT until my new tank was up and cycled. When I put them into QT after dipping, some opened up right away and others took close to two weeks. When I finally moved them into my DT about six weeks ago, the same thing happened all over again.

I spent some time watching which ones seemed to be stretching for light or staying closed when they were in the path of too much flow, and then moved them around a little to adjust to whatever I guessed their ideal conditions might be. I had one frag that had to go back into QT while my tank fluctuated a little (seemed to be more sensitive than the others?), and I had a rowdy clownfish that kept kicking sand onto some. I tried blowing it off with a turkey baster at first, but eventually stopped bothering with it. Now they're all settled in and encrusting the rock around the frags plugs.

Honestly, if I were you, I might just dim the lights a little for a few days and try not to bother them while they settle in. Mine have proven to be far more resilient than I thought.
That's some very helpful info and advice! Thanks!

I might move them back to QT because I'm going to move the tank on Monday.

HMCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your zoas doing? Mine are getting white spots on the heads that aren't sand and doesn't look like zoa pox. It looks just like this, actually, where there is white circles on the flesh. I was about to post my own thread and came across this one, so wanted to see how yours faired.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your zoas doing? Mine are getting white spots on the heads that aren't sand and doesn't look like zoa pox. It looks just like this, actually, where there is white circles on the flesh. I was about to post my own thread and came across this one, so wanted to see how yours faired.
They got better in a week or two, so probably it's not a big issue. I didn't do much with them, I just put them in my QT and let them sit. I hope my info helps.

cassie_culp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever someone says there’s something wrong with corals I always recommend a good look at your water parameters. What does Calcium, alkalinity, and Magnesium, etc. look like? Those tend to be some of the biggest areas when trouble shooting corals.

HMCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They got better in a week or two, so probably it's not a big issue. I didn't do much with them, I just put them in my QT and let them sit. I hope my info helps.
Great, thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to leave them be and keep an eye on them. They're on a rock with four other types of zoas, and it's only these that look off. Strangest thing!

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water parameters might be out of wack in your DT. Zoas don’t need high flow or high intensity lights. I lost my first zoas due to alkalinity problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back