HELP! Cyano won't go away!!!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the image that Twillard confirmed for me. Look for the spirals.
tapatalk_1484320869555.jpeg

This image with the spirals; is that cyano?

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was spirulina. Look for the spiral chains. H2O2 does nothing to it along with the other popular fixes.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the hydrogen peroxide test to see if it's cyano or spirulina! Without knowing that you won't be able to fix it! There is also a pretty good posibility that you have both! (That's what I had). When you have both, it can be challenging.

Ok before you go squirting Vibrant in your zeovit tank, be aware. At least in my tank the vibrant made nutrient management with zeobak VERY difficult. I had to switch over to using MicroBacter7, I figured while I was at it I would swap carbon sources over to NOPOx to try and trade up the food source that the cyano/spirulina was using as fuel. (It's what they specialize in, fixing carbon sources in nutrient poor environments). I can only make guesses as to why I had to change bacteria sources, I think zeobak may be closely related to chrysophite/cyano/spirulina and the Vibrant wiped it out. It nearly eliminate the bacteria mulm when I pumped my reactor. (Just saying).

So be prepared for that if you choose to use Vibrant. Grab some MB7 and NOPOx too. I haven't heard any other people mention noticing this, it may just be a case of what happens in my tank doesn't happen to anyone else.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the hydrogen peroxide test to see if it's cyano or spirulina! Without knowing that you won't be able to fix it! There is also a pretty good posibility that you have both! (That's what I had). When you have both, it can be challenging.

Ok before you go squirting Vibrant in your zeovit tank, be aware. At least in my tank the vibrant made nutrient management with zeobak VERY difficult. I had to switch over to using MicroBacter7, I figured while I was at it I would swap carbon sources over to NOPOx to try and trade up the food source that the cyano/spirulina was using as fuel. (It's what they specialize in, fixing carbon sources in nutrient poor environments). I can only make guesses as to why I had to change bacteria sources, I think zeobak may be closely related to chrysophite/cyano/spirulina and the Vibrant wiped it out. It nearly eliminate the bacteria mulm when I pumped my reactor. (Just saying).

So be prepared for that if you choose to use Vibrant. Grab some MB7 and NOPOx too. I haven't heard any other people mention noticing this, it may just be a case of what happens in my tank doesn't happen to anyone else.

But doing a water test ain't nowheres as fun as doing it on a microscope. I want to see the pest in action! LOL

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy test is to get some so called cyano out your tank and put it in a clear cup.
Add 3ml of Ho2o to that and swirl for a few seconds
Let it stand overnight, if color change on the red stuff we talking cyano if not its spirulina.

Don't I need to put some tank water in the cup too? Or just the slime and H2O2?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding a microscope really makes the hobby more enjoyable but you start to feel wierd about sticking your arm in the tank after seeing some things.o_O

LOL!! My husband is so scared after he saw me siphon out a tapeworm he won't even feed my fish anymore! He's such a wimp.

And yah, don't put your fingers in your mouth! It's amazing we're not all sick and dying! We all gotta be INSANE. Ya gotta LOVE it! I know I do. [emoji886]

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 3oz but the cyano in question, rose to the top. I'm waiting for color change. I added 3ml of housegrade hydrogen peroxide
1484330042176.jpeg

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Vibrant and H2O2 and they both had little effect. After a month and a half I nuked the tank and the problem was gone 3 days. I used one treatment. I did a water change 7 days after the first treatment. What the cyano treatment do is starve out the bacteria with a bacteria. Yours is light compared to mine and I would suggest doing a water change 72 hours after you start

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back