HELP! Cyano won't go away!!!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a recommended dose for a 120g
Typically, 1 mL per 10 gallons, but on healthy, established systems, the dose can be much higher. I've dosed as high at 1 mL per 2 gallons with no ill effects.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 3oz but the cyano in question, rose to the top. I'm waiting for color change. I added 3ml of housegrade hydrogen peroxide
1484330042176.jpeg

I did this test over the weekend and my results look just like your picture. The water is still clear and there is no pink or any color at all. Some pieces are clumped together and some are not. They are floating on top. So what does that mean? Do I have Cyano or Spirulina?

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this test over the weekend and my results look just like your picture. The water is still clear and there is no pink or any color at all. Some pieces are clumped together and some are not. They are floating on top. So what does that mean? Do I have Cyano or Spirulina?
My water did have a slight pink tint to it. Not much tho. Last night I chalked my phosphate, it was at .02 using the Hanna Checker Hi, and nitrate was 5, so today I am doing a 20 gallon water change. It will help, but it's not resolving the problem. How can we fix this before I get too upset!. Lol

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy test is to get some so called cyano out your tank and put it in a clear cup.
Add 3ml of Ho2o to that and swirl for a few seconds
Let it stand overnight, if color change on the red stuff we talking cyano if not its spirulina.
It turned green. That means it Spirulina. How do I treat for that?

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looks like cyano. Cyano in h202 turns green and bleeds the red into the water making it look pink.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirulina in h202 will do basically nothing, just stays red and doesn't change the color of the water.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowefx, what did you end up deciding to do?

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker I dosed h202 for 2 days, appears that the cyano was getting worse, so I did a 20g waterchange and sucked most of it out. I'm going heavy on kz cyanoclean for a few days. I may revisit h202 in the future. I read that to much h202 can burn the gills of the fish.
It's an ongoing process, and I will continue to post here.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am stepping away from the h202, but I'm going to do weekly water changes and the last 2 days I've been dosing 20 drops of cyano clean. I don't know if this is good or bad (double the dosage), but I'm giving it a try.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide won't kill all of the good bacteria, but it will kick the cr@p out of cyano. Start slowly and give it a try. If it's truly cyano, you'll results in 2-4 days.
How does one treat cyano with h202? What level strength do I need? Do I just use a turkey Baster and shoot it at it? Could I just dip some rocks in a solution of peroxide?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one treat cyano with h202? What level strength do I need? Do I just use a turkey Baster and shoot it at it? Could I just dip some rocks in a solution of peroxide?
Some people spot treat, I just dumped it into the overflow. You use standard 3% peroxide from the pharmacy. Start at 1 mL per 10 gallons and see how that works.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker I dosed h202 for 2 days, appears that the cyano was getting worse, so I did a 20g waterchange and sucked most of it out. I'm going heavy on kz cyanoclean for a few days. I may revisit h202 in the future. I read that to much h202 can burn the gills of the fish.
It's an ongoing process, and I will continue to post here.
May have been spirulina all along.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back