May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New one for red sea to sit quiet on

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New one for red sea to sit quiet on
I thought this was for 2-3 year old tanks only?

Also, is this thread supposed to be specifically for Red Sea? Or all brands? If this is for leaks of 2-3 year old tanks in general (as is the title), you seem to conveniently have left out many threads this year about other brands.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its strictly red sea, any iteration. their patterns are so seriously outlier compared to any company I've ever seen we need a separate tracking thread to comb patterns

if rs was doing a good job we'd have patterns of people on here saying rs was proactive in fixing them up after the fact, or reaching out before the fact with seam break prevention steps.

radio silence from red sea is what we have

On a separate thread you should really start the all other brands collection. I would like to see if it can be to page 15 in a few mos of examples. I've seen two, that's two total water box brand breaks this year compared to like 40 from rs. I am legit curious to see the patterns for other companies, because in those posts we'll also get the patterns on how the companies helped out (or didn't at all, radio silence until pressed, like red sea)

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
had a reefer 300 xl 3 years ago and sold it. Did notice the bubble in the seam but didn’t know anything about seams bursting. Sold the tank when I moved. Just went back to the LFS in my new area to pickup a red sea 350 xl. The store owner swore that RS has the best support and that they would replace the entire tank for free. He also said that it comes with 5 year warranty(with additional pay but didn’t mention that) as well as the warranty covers EVERYTHING to include lose of fish and corals and any damage to property….bought the tank set it up and started reading. Found out about the seem issue and then reviewed the warranty. It does not cover anything expect the tank. My fault for not verifying and taking his word for it but still annoyed that he would say that. Also asked about a discount which he told me they’re not able to do as dealers make no money on tanks only supplies. Asked if they would be on sale during Labor Day and he said no but maybe Black Friday. Payed full price plus a premium of $200 for assembling the stand(although they missed some steps). 2 weeks later the tanks were on sale for $300 cheaper.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reviewed the warranty. It does not cover anything expect the tank.
For the first 2 years, it covers everything including the stand. For the final extra third year (and additional 2 more via paid extension), it's the aquarium only (meaning seams bursting or anything that would cause the tank to fail). I had to contact Red Sea when I saw another thread call out weird language about aluminum etc. After first 2 years, its limited to aluminum in bigger stands and the aquarium itself (meaning no wood stands or sump warranty after 2 years).

If you bought the G2 you should be fine. The beefier seems and the armoring they use on the G2 models reinforces everything. G1 models have suspect seem quality.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20231014-090756_Samsung Internet.jpg

Let the unsolicited buyers simply feedback on the purchase, then log the patterns is what we're doing. From that lot we can skim out 3rd time owners who may have moved them too roughly or custom stand owners who didn't reinforce correctly

But 1st gen owners with decent stands all breaking in a tight succession means something worth tracking

Any person with a shred of inherent quality assurance tendency wants this data and business students should have the right to study how a company handles a significant break frequency in a given production lot

What an ethical response to buyers might look like (should the company proactively warn customers or let them find out the hard way)

When there are no more breaks to bear i guess the threads will die down.

Owners of gen one tanks still aren't being proactively warned of a known pattern before bigtime floor damage and animal loss, it's written right above in the pic uploaded from humblefishs site.

I'm saying the key to the testimony above is that he wanted to know of known obvious patterns by outbound contact

Proactively

Not reactively and 100% certainly not by willful refusal to discuss the pattern (banning all Facebook mentions of breaks for example)

Any instance of that in pattern as reported by buyers is a fair market pattern to study.

What to do if you offend thousands of your buyers should be required graduation study discourse material for all business students.

Is red sea handling this the right way=the fundamental question.

You can plainly see they're willing to help tangibly when someone reports a seam break

The only missing part is the proactive reach out via email every logged gen1 buyer

Plus a full social media admission to warn 2nd or 3rd hand owners so they can get out ahead of time

An honorable recall

Everybody knows the new gen is a reinforced design working well

Don't forget about that prior version= you have a lot of buyers and reputation responsibilities to be working on that's for sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The testimony above is quite serious. It's one of the most impactful writeups from a split seam owner I've seen and I've seen about 100 pages worth of logged statements on web forums
(By searching out 'red sea seam breaks' and picking out the details)

How dangerous is it for gen 1 owners to not know that saltwater might spray across all their electrical outlets up under the tank

Is it possible to search out some recent articles that show saltwater pouring over electronics plugged into the wall a/c = a notable cause for concern in homes and businesses?

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this is pretty amazing. The rimless tank fad will probably be dieing out

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this is pretty amazing. The rimless tank fad will probably be dieing out

Other companies rimless tanks are holding up fine. It's a Red Sea issue. The G2's might have fixed the issue, but it's too early to tell.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This Red Sea brand scares me…. It takes about 2-3 years just for your tank to fully take off into colonies … just to restart again ? Yeah

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get now…it’s a totally biased Red Sea only thing. I actually thought you were going to be scientific and open to ALL manufacturers and compile the data for presentation and trend tracking. Carry on with the witch hunt then.
Redsea have brought this **** on themselves tbh there tanks are always failing. Not saying other tanks don't fail but RS tanks are utter garbage and I'd never buy one .

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank you for posting for sure that’s what we collect / unfortunate but that’s the testimony we compile here, maybe reports will stop one day in the future

1697725399283.png

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still problems with the G2 line as well? I wonder which specific models?
That’s what it sounds like… crazy!!!! That particular tank blew the bottom seam right in the middle.. it looks like a newer e260 also or very well taken care of.. this whole thing sucks for everyone involved and needs to stop! I can’t believe how many houses have been destroyed and peoples hearts broken over this!

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That source is obscured but considering the prior fourteen pages it’s not otherworldly to consider

I haven’t seen the g2 pattern splits, as time and data compile on the matter it seemed like g1s. The humblefish thread on breaks is garnering it’s own firsthand testimonies and so far it’s the g1s still

Social media other than reef boards (all our examples here so far are from forums) must have troves of viable patterns to inspect. I don’t do fb or twitter etc. if there are running threads on those platforms that discuss the matter I’d like to see them linked if relevant

whats the market saying, that’s what I’d like to know.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would the armored seams help with tanks splitting? The silicone that holds the tank together is between the panes not the excess that the armor is protecting. In either case if silicone is failing armored seams don’t help.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would the armored seams help with tanks splitting? The silicone that holds the tank together is between the panes not the excess that the armor is protecting. In either case if silicone is failing armored seams don’t help.
Couple reasons… for one if the glass is to thin it helps with deflection and strength of the original silicone joint.. The second reason would be more surface area for the silicone to bond to, in essence it strengthens the original silicone joint again! Also protects it from people and there scrapers gouging it… In theory anyways haha! I don’t know if it’s bad silicone, to thin of glass “which I doubt, water box and others use the same thickness” or just bad stands which are a known problem..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back