May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link the video where Ryan talks about this
It’s buried in the comments to the actual video 3 days ago.

“Tank is 5 years old and we got one of the first 750xxl off the line. This was one of their first attempts at a larger tank. I believe the issue was the front pane was too heavy to not be supported and ~10% of that first batch was affected. I was told to look out for the silicone coming away from the glass and sand working it's way in., When we saw that it was time to move the corals, I didn't want to wait for an emergency.”

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s buried in the comments to the actual video 3 days ago.

“Tank is 5 years old and we got one of the first 750xxl off the line. This was one of their first attempts at a larger tank. I believe the issue was the front pane was too heavy to not be supported and ~10% of that first batch was affected. I was told to look out for the silicone coming away from the glass and sand working it's way in., When we saw that it was time to move the corals, I didn't want to wait for an emergency.”
Interesting as he seems to indicate a belief it’s the vertical unsupported floating edge of the the tank that causes the failure rather than water load/force. Couple that with the rimless design there’s nothing to support that front pane save for silicone. Makes me recall all the crappy pine stands that large AGA tanks sit/sat on. When I got my 210 second hand I beefed up the stand, and raised it a foot. Funny thing, the plastic center brace split from the heat. I secured it with aluminum, but couldn’t get it all the way touching each side with the tank filled. I got out of that because of worry of it failing as an older tank, then the new one failed in short order. It’s a glass box filled with water and vibrating pumps. There’s always a risk.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1700598724894.png

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally know of one local 750XXL owner who had their stand/tank sag and the seam break - but this was on the pre-v3 model. With the v3/G2/G2+ revisions, they introduced edge bracing on all corners and seams, added the aluminum strut and the "floating" tank is now supported by a 2-3" wide aluminum edge (1/4" to 5/16" thick) that's bolted to the top of the cabinet (underneath the foam pad).

So there's still a gap between the tank and the cabinet/doors on 3 out of 4 sides, but it's only a partial (1/4") gap on the sides and the front has that aluminum piece that extends all the way along the front.
Are there close-up pictures of the new aluminum edge and how it’s mounted to the actual cabinet? If this solved the floating panel weakness, then it can be a retrofit solution even the smaller tanks

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the link you posted. It looks like one of the newer G2 with aluminum brace in the middle of the tank?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the link you posted. It looks like one of the newer G2 with aluminum brace in the middle of the tank?
That's not a G2. G2 hasn't been out more than 2 years yet. Also, black piping, and no aluminum lip support for the floating glass. Looks like it just has the retrofit brace added that Red Sea was sending out.

EDIT: Also looks like the OP confirmed
I think you are correct - it's the original XXL 750 V-3 (not G2) - they are replacing it with a G2. Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't believe there's any reports of any G2 seam failures. I have seen one thread where there was glass cracked on shipment that led to leaks, but nothing of the G1 known breakages.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was of the guy depicted having to replace a client's failing RS tank. It was out of warranty, but the client received a discounted G2 after Red Sea acknowledged an issue with the tanks.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of money is changing hands due to these breaks

and hundreds more are coming, this thread will be a hundred pages of them in a few years is the bet. that causes all kinds of cross motivation in actions and outcomes. I don't think red sea will be able to formally avoid much longer

by avoid, I mean still refusing to acknowledge on their social media and deleting absolutely any mention of it other than in emails to corp. I think one day they should have to recomp broken tank owners for home damage, purposefully avoiding discussing the subject outside corp emails could have reasonably warned people to dump v1s before home damage occurs.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea

You're reading this because I've had people who reached out to me send this thread to you

you're reading it right now, literally at 10:20 am central time Dec 23rd

preemptively reach out to all g1 owners you have on your contact lists, warn them to get rid of your product before it's too late, that's what you're required to do now.

and when you don't

the sheer size of these threads coming one day, plus the pressure created by channels you couldn't heavyregulate, will require you to, that's the bet. and I think you'll have to redress a long ways back, to make up for the purposeful digging-of-heels you're currently up to.

that pressure

it's coming

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I appreciate the “hold them accountable” mentality and push, nothing is ever going to come of this.

First off, it would take a class action lawsuit from hundreds, if not thousands, of owners.

Second, it will just bankrupt Red Sea and nobody will be paid out.

Lastly, only attorneys win in class action suits and the tiny amount each owner would receive is so minuscule it’s a slap in the face.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there was less of a chance for any pressure or affect potential when there were no threads discussing the breaks, and each individual tank owner just thought they had a single bad round

maybe the collection across a few sites over a few years in hindsight may be a pressing log, time will tell.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that in the comments he said this issue has happened with two other RS tanks. Also commented it’s a G2..
You’re incorrect. They commented they replaced it with a G2. This is a well documented G1 problem.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re incorrect. They commented they replaced it with a G2. This is a well documented G1 problem.
Sorry, but pretty sure I read the comments right. I’m not saying he may be mistaken, but he believed it was a g2. I confirmed with him in a separate exchange.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but pretty sure I read the comments right. I’m not saying he may be mistaken, but he believed it was a g2. I confirmed with him in a separate exchange.
Thanks, appreciate the confirmation that it’s a G2. I understand the G2s have thicker glass and armored seams and marine ply cabinets. So it’s clearly the floating glass design or just bad silicone. This info will help me decide which manufacturer to avoid when it is time to upgrade to a 100 gallon tank.

Last edited:

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate the “hold them accountable” mentality and push, nothing is ever going to come of this.

First off, it would take a class action lawsuit from hundreds, if not thousands, of owners.

Second, it will just bankrupt Red Sea and nobody will be paid out.

Lastly, only attorneys win in class action suits and the tiny amount each owner would receive is so minuscule it’s a slap in the face.
Godforbid, should any of these red sea tank leaks or breaks caused a personal injury for example a seam break that happened catastrophically and the glass fell on someone or the massive amount of water caused a near fatal fall. The chances of something like that happening increases with the number of tank failure occurrences. At that point class action law suits will happen… and about price of tanks going up after that… I am seriously hoping manufacturers do a recall or at least reach out to warn especially if the rate of failure is significantly higher than normal. Sincerely hoping this doesn’t blow up and mirror what happened in the G.A.(general aviation) Industry.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back