May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, but pretty sure I read the comments right. I’m not saying he may be mistaken, but he believed it was a g2. I confirmed with him in a separate exchange.
Yes, before the video was taken down he said in the comments that it was a G2 and that they had several others tanks doing the same thing.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but pretty sure I read the comments right. I’m not saying he may be mistaken, but he believed it was a g2. I confirmed with him in a separate exchange.
Even someone else mentioned what was stated:

It was of the guy depicted having to replace a client's failing RS tank. It was out of warranty, but the client received a discounted G2 after Red Sea acknowledged an issue with the tanks.

FYI, G2s haven't been out for over 2 years yet, meaning if it was a G2, it would have been replaced at zero cost because the standard warranty is 3 years.

There has been no documented issue for anything seam related for the G2. I'm just stopping the spread of misinformation as you misread/misheard the comment (what was referred to as G2 is what it is being replaced with). The G1 is infamously known to leak - there's not question. Trying to imply G2s still carry the same "ticking time bomb" assumption is dishonest.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, before the video was taken down he said in the comments that it was a G2 and that they had several others tanks doing the same thing.
This is incorrect. They stated it was being replaced with G2. If it was a G2, it would be replaced under warranty with zero issues as there's nothing that exist that's beyond the out of box warranty yet.

Interesting that in the comments he said this issue has happened with two other RS tanks. Also commented it’s a G2..

IMG_6973.png

Even in the only screenshot provided before it was taken down: "glad to hear they gave the customer a good discount but IMO it should have been a free replacement for a defective model". This indicates it's out of warranty, as if it was in warranty, it wouldn't be discounted at all and free aside from shipping. It is clear this is an out of warranty G1 being replaced with a G2.

Last edited:

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s clearly the floating glass design or just bad silicone.
The 525 and larger G2s don't have a floating glass anymore. The front panel sits on an aluminum support bar.

I'm not defending RedSea at all, I'm just correcting all the misinformation i'm seeing here. When looking for a new tank, I dove deep in research in the G2 vs G1, along with new IM and Waterbox tanks, etc. Don't care about one brand over the other, but trying to lump G2s in with G1s is not productive here.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 525 and larger G2s don't have a floating glass anymore. The front panel sits on an aluminum support bar.

I'm not defending RedSea at all, I'm just correcting all the misinformation i'm seeing here. When looking for a new tank, I dove deep in research in the G2 vs G1, along with new IM and Waterbox tanks, etc. Don't care about one brand over the other, but trying to lump G2s in with G1s is not productive here.
Ok hope it really is the G1 and not the G2

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my lfs is setting up a new model of red sea tanks today i wonder if they have fixed the issue

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still coming!

Hi - I was wondering how concerned I should be with this picture located in the front, middle, and bottom of the tank. All of the other seams look normal. I've been sadly reading much more about Redsea tank failures. Please let me know -thanks

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we could get work jobs off all these collapses.

preemptively, people who own the g1 setups could be reaching out here and getting free skip cycle tank transfer work done to safely move into a tank with integrity.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read all 18 pages so I will post my situation and what RS is offering me.

I purchased a Refer 350 in mid 2015. Days after filling it up with water an air pocket appeared in the top left corner. I contact RS and they sent me a replacement take a couple months later. That tank was then setup at the beginning of 2016.

A few months ago I noticed another air pocket develop. At first it was about 5mm long but has grown to 25mm long in 3 months. Again contacted RS, not expecting much and they are offering me a 25% discount on buying another tank directly from them.

I am however considering suing them instead. Since they have since come out with 2 new variations of the tank my argument would be they have identified a manufacturing. materials and/or design flaws from the original tank, which have been remedied in the newer versions. That by default is an admission their previous tanks are prone to failure and they know it.

However, I would like to know if there have been any noted seam failures in these new tanks. If so, then my argument wouldn't hold water so to speak.

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with suing Red Sea. It’s an 8 yr old tank that made it through its manufacturer warranty without issue, and lasted years longer. There is no way it would ever be economically feasible to start litigation, nor do you have much of a case with an 8 yr old tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't read all 18 pages so I will post my situation and what RS is offering me.

I purchased a Refer 350 in mid 2015. Days after filling it up with water an air pocket appeared in the top left corner. I contact RS and they sent me a replacement take a couple months later. That tank was then setup at the beginning of 2016.
Most of the documented problems were in larger tanks - and it was guesstimated to be < 5 %. (which if true is still unacceptable) - My 725 XXL I think was bought in 2015 or 2016 - and have had no problems.
A few months ago I noticed another air pocket develop. At first it was about 5mm long but has grown to 25mm long in 3 months. Again contacted RS, not expecting much and they are offering me a 25% discount on buying another tank directly from them.
It's not a bad deal. However, I would try negotiate more of a discount.
I am however considering suing them instead. Since they have since come out with 2 new variations of the tank my argument would be they have identified a manufacturing. materials and/or design flaws from the original tank, which have been remedied in the newer versions. That by default is an admission their previous tanks are prone to failure and they know it.
You bought the tank, had a problem, they replaced it and its well out of the warranty period. A number of things could have caused your issue the second time (installation, moving, your stand, etc). I read once somewhere that the average tank life is about 10 years - though I've had many for years longer.
However, I would like to know if there have been any noted seam failures in these new tanks. If so, then my argument wouldn't hold water so to speak.
I believe every tank with every design, including the new versions has had incidents or problems (this is from memory earlier in the thread - I would ask RedSea). however, the question is are the failures (and I don't know the number for redsea) any different than other manufacturers of similar tanks.

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 240g Miracles custom aquarium that developed a lower drip that I got out of around 2017. Been surfing around for a larger custom frag tank and decided to see if they are still around ( they are). While perusing their page I stumbled upon their warranty disclaimer.

“Please also note that Wave Generators apply long-term, dynamic stresses on the glass and sealants used in the construction of aquariums. For this reason, Miracles in Glass will not honour any warranty claims for glass or sealant failure of any aquarium which has been exposed to dynamic pressures exerted by wave generators.”

Pretty interesting that a major player won’t warranty a tank with wave making powerheads, acknowledging the issues they present. Now if you couple rimless, floating edge, and wave makers, maybe there’s something to be considered there specific to certain Red Sea tanks.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a red sea being deconstructed, the front panel preemptively removed

and that silicone comes apart with almost no effort

in my opinion that's relevant here.

*let the record reflect: a week ago in the general forum there was a seam break reported from a non-red sea tank. non rs breaks do happen.

I however cannot find 30 instances of that brand breaking throughout last year, but I can find that for rs.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

red sea, one day you're going to pay up to your buyers.

you have not issued a recall because: we all know why.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back