May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple reasons… for one if the glass is to thin it helps with deflection and strength of the original silicone joint.. The second reason would be more surface area for the silicone to bond to, in essence it strengthens the original silicone joint again! Also protects it from people and there scrapers gouging it… In theory anyways haha! I don’t know if it’s bad silicone, to thin of glass “which I doubt, water box and others use the same thickness” or just bad stands which are a known problem..
Except the bigger tanks in the G2 line have aluminum support in the stands as well as aluminum under the front panel of the “floating glass”. The S series is all euro braced and full aluminum stands.

While it wouldn’t surprise me, logic of the construction of the newer G2 models won’t have “5 fails in one store” as that claim (hyperbole) states. I haven’t seen anything related to seems on the G2 yet. I have seen one person have a leak not related to the seams (believe it was a crack).

In any event - if I were in the market for a new tank, those new IM EXT models are hard to beat for price, build, aesthetics, and features (aside from a **** looking logo on some sumps ).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it sounds like… crazy!!!! That particular tank blew the bottom seam right in the middle.. it looks like a newer e260 also or very well taken care of.. this whole thing sucks for everyone involved and needs to stop! I can’t believe how many houses have been destroyed and peoples hearts broken over this!
I'm not sure if the E260 has been upgraded to the "G2/G2+" specs. I have a friend with a Max-400 and it hasn't had any issues (close to 3 years).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it wouldn’t surprise me, logic of the construction of the newer G2 models won’t have “5 fails in one store” as that claim (hyperbole) states. I haven’t seen anything related to seems on the G2 yet. I have seen one person have a leak not related to the seams (believe it was a crack).
To me, the "5 fails in one store" comment is suspect. I can see G1 models over a period of years if they sold a lot of Red Sea tanks, but I don't see 5 G2/G2+ failures in under a year.

My LFS (also a Red Sea dealer) has only seen one (1) Red Sea tank where the seam failed (over a period of 5+ years) - and this was on an original 750XXL with the thinner glass (it also didn't have the aluminium lip, aluminium strut/brace or armored seams).

divcesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t aware of this issue and bought a G1 Peninsula 650. There is some salt creep on both sides of the tank. Is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of a disaster in the future?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea doing what they do best:

1698935626417.png

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a brand new poster's first post...wow

since red sea squelches all online discussion of their quality of service, across all platforms, it's good they can't do that here so we can get them semi partially slightly accountable at least in type.

why has there not been a banding together for some type of action in this issue>

stated 11/10/23:

08C5D8CA-7343-4190-B5A8-09F4FAF3292B.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These seam breaks seem (sorry, little pun) related to the 'floating' aspect. I've yet to see any seam breaks on tanks with the aluminium support (625 and up and all the ones with aluminum stands) - although all (like mine) would still be less than 3 years old.

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone like to pile on to Red Sea. I had 2 AGA 300DD fail on me in the span of a year. The first time was a vertical seam, lost 1/3 of water and corals at the top of the water column. Replaced under warranty. The second time was a catastrophic rear bottom seam overnight. That killed 99% of all coral and all livestock that I had for 15 plus years and drove me from the hobby. AGA settled for a pittance of what I lost. Good thing the tank was in the basement in a recroom. Happy with my RS S1000 g2.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread would never exist if there was just 1 red sea break or two like you're mentioning

or even 5

or even ten, I wouldn't have a thread going until we get to like page 70 in another break thread before this one

we're piling onto red sea for completely failing in countless g1 tanks.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add the BRS750 to the list. Ryan talked about in his latest video.

It hadn’t failed yet but was failing so they took it down as a precaution

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for that, wasn't expecting that one

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ANY brand of large tank installation is key. Any sag caused by not being properly leveled is gonna cause problems with any tank. They are extremely heavy and gaps no matter how small will cause issues eventually. Was there a flaw? Sure there was. Did they correct it? Yes they did. G2s are going on 3 years now. Where are all those failures? Who knows how end users installed them and maintained them. Owning a business myself I can attest the amount of scammers trying to get something over on you compared to the legitimate issues are definitely in favor of scammers. I've learned to trust nobody until I know the whole story. Some people just use and abuse their equipment. Just ask anyone whose ever worked returns in retail about all the dishonest people out there.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe G2's have been around for 3 yrs yet. Not sure it's even been 2.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe G2's have been around for 3 yrs yet. Not sure it's even been 2.
Got mine in May of 2021. I've also owned 5 IM tanks over the years. So not defending RS. Simply stating they did good convincing me to buy their product with all the changes for the better they made. In fact I was so concerned I had it dealer installed to make sure if something did go wrong I wasn't liable for improper installation and they signed off on it. Even talked to their rep multiple times about the prior issues. Mine has the G2 tank and upgraded stand brace but not the G2 sump and plumbing. So yea I've got an early G2 setup. I don't even think they called it a G2 at the time. It was just an upgraded tank and stand to address the problems. I've noticed even their nano tanks have the same bracing on the seams now even on the bottoms.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The G1s don’t fail from improper installation. This horse has been beat to death. They fail from improper design by Red Sea. This isn’t even in question at this point.

If you need any more proof, go read Ryan’s comments on his latest video of 52 Weeks Season 2. He even talks about the front glass not being supported properly which causes the separation. The stand “fix” did nothing to correct this.

It would be pretty tough to scam Red Sea with a failing G1. Especially when they won’t acknowledge most failures and try to censor anyone who brings up the failures. This last part is enough to NEVER support or trust them as a company.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone like to pile on to Red Sea. I had 2 AGA 300DD fail on me in the span of a year. The first time was a vertical seam, lost 1/3 of water and corals at the top of the water column. Replaced under warranty. The second time was a catastrophic rear bottom seam overnight. That killed 99% of all coral and all livestock that I had for 15 plus years and drove me from the hobby. AGA settled for a pittance of what I lost. Good thing the tank was in the basement in a recroom. Happy with my RS S1000 g2.
Didn’t AGA recall those tanks though I thought? I thought I recall their failure rate was pretty high too. Can’t find anything but I thought this was like 2010-2013 or so

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope . No recall. I wasn’t aware of the problems when I upgraded/consolidated an old AGA 210 and a miracles 240 into one tank( my electric bill was often over $700 (5x 400w halides, dart pumps, etc). The LFS was critical in helping me out with both failures. I had to sign something both times that I would dismantle/destroy the failed tanks and not resale.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back