May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This issue always reminds me of a former gpu company evga. They had an issue with some 30 series cards bricking while running certain games. What they did is re-evaluate and test their products, they owned the error in the faulty manufacturing components, and fixed the problem. Not only that but they planned ahead, they had set aside a certain amount of cards for quick replacements for people so when the problem popped up once the customers had proof they mailed the broken cards back evga mailed them out a replacement right away. The customer didn't have to wait for the company to receive the card, diagnose the issue and run through months of paperwork and back and forth emails. They had their replacement cards within days of mailing the broken cards back. And this was during a time where silicone for gpu chips was scarce causing a huge shortage of stock.

My point in saying all this is companies are allowed a mistake here and there, but there's ways to respond that is respectful to their customers. This was a good example for me of the good way to deal with an issue. Red sea is the bad example.
As far as I know, RedSea responds to people on an individual basis. I have no clue the cause or the fix for this problem - and my guess it's not one problem - but multiple potential issues that can lead tanks to leak. If there is some fixable issue and for whatever reason they are not fixing it - thats a problem. I am still curious as to how many tanks that used the 'brace fix' failed after.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We just can't keep everyone on topic I'm seeing. Posting off topic is what I think should be banned

There will always be a cancel undercurrent in this matter clearly, even though red sea was who I posted to

So glad to have level- headed input from friends

Finding and posting patterns in break dynamics/ inspection and prevention hopefully will be a benefit of our discussion. Those were the original requests I'd given directly to red sea. If they won't elucidate, peers will
Red Sea does not post here - the last time either of their employees posted here was in 2022. The fact is, that they (like every other company) do not want/let people in their Facebook group about problems since there is no way for them to independently verify the complaint. I would suggest to you and everyone - if you want RedSea to answer your questions, call their customer service/technical support

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be fair, if repeat threads were banned from R2R, this place would be pretty dead.
I wasn't commenting on 'repeat threads'in general. I was commenting on the fact that R2R has multiple threads discussing the same issue right now. There seems to be (at least the way I'm reading them) - that many people seem to believe that there is a single flaw with RedSea tanks, they they know what it is - and they are not commenting on it. For example there are probably 50 threads on the fish disease forum containing problems with the same issue (lets say white spots) - but there are multiple possibilities.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea does not post here - the last time either of their employees posted here was in 2022. The fact is, that they (like every other company) do not want/let people in their Facebook group about problems since there is no way for them to independently verify the complaint. I would suggest to you and everyone - if you want RedSea to answer your questions, call their customer service/technical support
I think the purpose is more about using the biggest, or one of the biggest, reefing platforms for public viewing and knowledge. These threads can't be buried on a FB page or kept private in a phone call. The worst thing for consumers IMO is for these threads to just "go away". If the public doesn't demand and expect accountability then who will?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if we were neighbors I'd grill you your fare of choice for that contribution. it's the intended angle for the thread, the discussion that could not be + crowdsourced interception/break prevention idea exchange

ways to inspect for seam challenges early on, to give all rs owners peace of mind on the seal integ

the very input we need from red sea can be gained alternatively from peers for sure just not as fast or effective or far-reaching as if rs guided the matter in a discussion

look at this up close seam positioning / suspected cause of the matter posted in the other thread:
1682530699714.png

the panel in question sits on the air gap that allows the door to open and close

even the reinforcement part of the stand is behind the shear point stress, it seems, based on the picture (maybe its scooted too far fwd, therein the problem stands out perhaps)

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure, just assembling puzzle pieces

having to guess, since papa rs won't show up to lay down the law on seam breaks :)

that is indeed a hanging lip any way it's sliced

what if: the leveled, non-warped/no water damage stand extended out full and + extra quarter inch for good measure, wouldn't that seem to shore up shear weight vs this current way its set, which looks odd and is associated with solely front panel seam breaks at the bottom not the sides or top>?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This overhanging glass has been discussed over and over multiple (at least they said they were) engineers stated it was a non-issue.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure, just assembling puzzle pieces

having to guess, since papa rs won't show up to lay down the law on seam breaks :)

that is indeed a hanging lip any way it's sliced

what if: the leveled, non-warped/no water damage stand extended out full and + extra quarter inch for good measure, wouldn't that seem to shore up shear weight vs this current way its set, which looks odd and is associated with solely front panel seam breaks at the bottom not the sides or top>?
I personally know of one local 750XXL owner who had their stand/tank sag and the seam break - but this was on the pre-v3 model. With the v3/G2/G2+ revisions, they introduced edge bracing on all corners and seams, added the aluminum strut and the "floating" tank is now supported by a 2-3" wide aluminum edge (1/4" to 5/16" thick) that's bolted to the top of the cabinet (underneath the foam pad).

So there's still a gap between the tank and the cabinet/doors on 3 out of 4 sides, but it's only a partial (1/4") gap on the sides and the front has that aluminum piece that extends all the way along the front.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This overhanging glass has been discussed over and over multiple (at least they said they were) engineers stated it was a non-issue.
I know I much prefer having the aluminum edge piece to offer support on the front of my tank. So if it was in fact a non-issue, then why was it added? I suspect that at least on the larger tanks it's not a non-issue.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I much prefer having the aluminum edge piece to offer support on the front of my tank. So if it indeed was a non-issue, then why was it added? I suspect that at least on the larger tanks it's not a non-issue.
I have a 525 and 750. The question is (logically) - would that aluminum support even the weight of the front glass over time? I have not heard of this 'addition' - so I am not contradicting you - but - we're talking thousands of pounds for the whole tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I much prefer having the aluminum edge piece to offer support on the front of my tank. So if it indeed was a non-issue, then why was it added? I suspect that at least on the larger tanks it's not a non-issue.
BTW - thanks for the information!!!!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I much prefer having the aluminum edge piece to offer support on the front of my tank. So if it was in fact a non-issue, then why was it added? I suspect that at least on the larger tanks it's not a non-issue.
I’m pretty sure the aluminum front pane support was for pudgy peeps like me leaning on the glass during maintenance….. maybe not me as they would have gone with a six inch steel i-beam ha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 525 and 750. The question is (logically) - would that aluminum support even the weight of the front glass over time? I have not heard of this 'addition' - so I am not contradicting you - but - we're talking thousands of pounds for the whole tank.
Yes, I believe it would (does). It's a really thick piece of aluminum that's bolted to the entire edge/top of the stand/cabinet. The top piece of plywood has been routered by the thickness of the aluminum strip so that the entire top of the stand is completely flat/flush.

I can't remember how many screws/bolts were securing it in-place, but there were quite a few.

BTW - thanks for the information!!!!
Np!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure the aluminum front pane support was for pudgy peeps like me leaning on the glass during maintenance….. maybe not me as they would have gone with a six inch steel i-beam ha
You're not kidding! I've danged near fallen into the tank a few times now - with the front pane of glass being the only thing between me and an unplanned saltwater bath... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

So from the 'idiot' standpoint, it definitely seems like it was designed with me in-mind...

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not kidding! I've danged near fallen into the tank a few times now - with the front pane of glass being the only thing between me and an unplanned saltwater bath... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
You don’t realize how deep a 750 is until you try and reach something on the bottom middle rear of the tank! I’m 6’4” and have to use a step ladder as my arm could barely reach without. I’ve had nightmares of slipping and putting all my weight on the pane and flooding the living room

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t realize how deep a 750 is until you try and reach something on the bottom middle rear of the tank! I’m 6’4” and have to use a step ladder as my arm could barely reach without. I’ve had nightmares of slipping and putting all my weight on the pane and flooding the living room
It's my recurring nightmare... I'm self-conscious every time I have to reach into the back of the tank as I'm worried about getting deodorant into the water. And I'm only 5'8"...

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if the design flaw is the design of the tank itself. Coming from a non-engineering perspective, it would make sense to me to have the front glass supported by the bottom glass not just connected to it by silicone. Thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m curious if the design flaw is the design of the tank itself. Coming from a non-engineering perspective, it would make sense to me to have the front glass supported by the bottom glass not just connected to it by silicone. Thoughts?
This has been discussed at length - I'm coming to the point of view that - despite aesthetics - it would be best to have the front rim on a solid surface.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been discussed at length - I'm coming to the point of view that - despite aesthetics - it would be best to have the front rim on a solid surface.
Sorry I honestly haven’t read up much on these issues as the RedSea set ups have been outside my price range when looking at tanks. I would have imagined it got brought up in the past but yea. I appreciate the insight!

Back