Pay movers to move large tank?

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question. Has anyone here paid a moving company to move their larger aquarium into thier home or within thier home? Or is the buddy pizza and beer method best? I am looking into a 240g long aquarium (8'x2'x2') and considering all options for moving it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used family and while it worked it was a beast! I will pay a pretty local saltwater aquarium maintenance business to move it next time! I was going to hire movers but they only wanted to send a couple of guys and I knew it would take at least 6.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, my plan is to travel and pickup the tank. At this point the seller can load onto truck/trailer. Then when I get home I was gonna pay movers to get it inside onto the stand. It needs to go to my basement.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find a local aquarium service place to move it. I have seen too many posts about moving a tank and dropped on a corner not worth it to me. And if not level and secured properly in your truck , if you go over a bump or something in the road it can crack or damage the tank.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a company agree to move a tank as long as we have a wood crate for it. Ended up moving myself but it was in a crate

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call around and see if they will take the job. I got a qoute to move a red sea 750XXl if was crazy high like what the tank cost.
if there is a college around but an add of FB looking for strong men to help move a fish tank and will pay X each. tell them you need 4-6 guys they will laugh at you until they see the tank. but you will get it in.

tip make sure the path is free and clear as much as possible and a cpl of those moving dollies from harbor fright encase you need to set it down or better yet you can roll it.
4 strong guys should be able to do it but 6 would be better

heck 3 of use moved the 750- 3/4" glass weighting 400ish pounds

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I moved I thought of getting movers to move my tank....after a few calls, found no one that would take the job.

They couldn't charge enough to make it worth the time and liability for the job.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned on doing the harbor freight wheel carts as they will help a lot in my case /process I think. Anyone know the approximate weight of this tank? I am guess 500lbs. Plan on buying the 250l from glasscages.com

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large glass 480 gallon aquarium I need to move from my garage to its location in my house. I did find a moving company that will move it, and the quote costs about the same for me to purchase a lift table (harbor freight), suction cups, and rolling stands. I am currently evaluating which route I want to take, but will likely attempt the move with me and about six buddies and the aforementioned equipment.

glass suction cup handles can be found online for relatively low cost. A couple pairs of those are worth their weight in gold when moving a tank. Most suction cup handles have a weight limit, so plan accordingly when using them.

JonnyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 160 gal glass tank and it took 4 of us to move it from the garage to my tank room just using our hands. Rolling stands and suction cups sound like worthy investments because that move was no joke.

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question. Has anyone here paid a moving company to move their larger aquarium into thier home or within thier home? Or is the buddy pizza and beer method best? I am looking into a 240g long aquarium (8'x2'x2') and considering all options for moving it.
If you’re not familiar with what has to be a very well orchestrated process, by all means hire a FINE ARTS mover if there isn’t a major tank installer with significant experience near your location. Smaller cities and towns may not have this type of company in residence though. In any case, moving a large glass aquarium weighing over 500 pounds or more can be dangerous. Dropping that much weight can seriously injure or kill someone. If you organize a team, be clear that only ONE person speaks during the move and make sure that person knows what they’re doing. If you have any questions or want more details feel free to shoot me a PM.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back