Spring grow out contest ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the fall grow out and it has been pretty fun so far,,,little nerve racking at times also Ill be honest lol.
But I was wondering will there be a spring grow out contest ?

@Battlecorals @StatelineReefer @BranchingHammer and @Reefing102

Spring Springtime GIF by Trolli

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hi there,

absolutely guys! and yeah I think we be wise to go with a super hardy old schooler. A classic digi or Stylo even, or something like the slimer or acroberry, Poletti yellow tip would be perfect. honestly I think we'd see everyone make it to the finish line at least.

I still feel terrible about the laser and ghost contest. I think we over shot it and went too big. Too may frags I had to cut unfortunately and things just didn't do well for you guys.

So, we may have to scale things back a little or even a few smaller contests. I'm remembering the shag priority/bliss contest that went really well a few years back. I think we had 20 contestants each. and probably 95% went all the way. or maybe even shorten the span to like 9 months or something? honestly I'm open to any and all input on how w can do better on the next one.

I think the key is that you guys start off with healthy chunky well encrusted frags all of nearly exactly equal size and girth. and that is almost impossible with 70+ frags off the same colony.

what do you guys think?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the concept of using a larger, hardier, and more well established colony. Poletti yellowtip would be awesome. One of those ones that doesn't get enough love IMO!

I like the 12 month duration, but with as fast as some of these guys/gals are growing acros, you might have to stop and declare a winner at 6 months! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the year span, as some frags just don’t take off til getting pretty established.

That said, I’m fine with smaller contest(s) of well healed frags. Maybe max of 25 contestants per contest. I can’t really think of anything else that would make it an easier start

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your cool acros like the Laser. Personally, I got a healthy, encrusted frag and it was doing great in an established system. But, I made a few changes over the year, took on some more coral with pests, and also switched the Laser to another tank. It went through a lot of bad stuff and it was my fault for losing it.

I would really like to see an acro like “Aquaticman” or “Backdraft the Movie”. Those would be awesome. Stick with the current rules too; a year long contest is great

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tip would be cool! But you have a 1000 cool ones to be honest lol
I like the span also I think its give a good buffer for mistakes etc.
I get limiting entry as it can be a headache im sure for everyone especially Adam. I do like the idea of doing couple different frags. maybe charging more and you get two different types of frags ? I did the three last time and its cool cus I know my odds of lasting a year with at least one are pretty good :) and that was heck of a deal to boot! Im 100 percent down with what ever you guys come up with count me in :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a few large colonies of miyagi tort style acros that are almost reaching nuisance status* that would also be an excellent choice.

* in that it just grows so fast and would probably survive in a freshwater tank lol

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there,

absolutely guys! and yeah I think we be wise to go with a super hardy old schooler. A classic digi or Stylo even, or something like the slimer or acroberry, Poletti yellow tip would be perfect. honestly I think we'd see everyone make it to the finish line at least.

I still feel terrible about the laser and ghost contest. I think we over shot it and went too big. Too may frags I had to cut unfortunately and things just didn't do well for you guys.

So, we may have to scale things back a little or even a few smaller contests. I'm remembering the shag priority/bliss contest that went really well a few years back. I think we had 20 contestants each. and probably 95% went all the way. or maybe even shorten the span to like 9 months or something? honestly I'm open to any and all input on how w can do better on the next one.

I think the key is that you guys start off with healthy chunky well encrusted frags all of nearly exactly equal size and girth. and that is almost impossible with 70+ frags off the same colony.

what do you guys think?
How about a forest fire digi? Great color and growth.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know growth rates but some cool ones I’m seeing (I’m linking price with growth rate here):

Brads Raspberry Starburst

Gamorrean Bottlebrush

North Stars Clathrata

Pink Lemonade (the Tyree looking one)

Rainbow Stylo

Shawn Bennett Yellow Tort

Blood Red Milli

The SWK Invalida

Lingonberry Vinegar

Soo many options

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back