What do you HATE about Reefing (IN PICS)

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun...
What is it that you HATE about this hobby?
Post answer with a pic/gif!

Ill get it started ;Dead:

aquarium-test-kit.jpg

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it’s got to be the prices… I’m fortunate enough to be able to setup a small tank, but this hobby really excludes a lot of people due to the setup costs. I must have $2000 into a modest 15 gal aquarium. I had a small nano tank years back and a similar frag was $5 or basically free with a purchase of other corals. This is just an example, but I think things have gotten out of hand while I was away. WWC has a coral for $3500 currently. Don’t even get me started on the equipment costs.

Attachments

• EDA10ED3-04FA-400A-B10C-E0E68AE1CE91.jpeg
    EDA10ED3-04FA-400A-B10C-E0E68AE1CE91.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 112

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t take a pic this evening (lights were off), but around two hours after lights out, I noticed my ‘lobo’ (Acanthestrea Pachysepta) doing exactly this to my dragon soul ‘favia’ (Goniastrea) and Yuma:

B498CC73-E095-48CD-AEEF-8A80BB1342C8.jpeg
I had moved a few corals on the sand bed around to make some room for a new Cynarina and it apparently didn’t like it’s new spot (really only moved it an inch or so). It looked like Spider-Man shooting out webs in two opposite directions. The dragon soul is done for I think, but I think the Yuma will be okay.

This also is a good example of another problem, he constant misidentification of corals. Reclassifications don’t help, but I think vendors should prioritize proper ID over using common names to make searching easier.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t take a pic this evening (lights were off), but around two hours after lights out, I noticed my ‘lobo’ (Acanthestrea Pachysepta) doing exactly this to my dragon soul ‘favia’ (Goniastrea) and Yuma:

B498CC73-E095-48CD-AEEF-8A80BB1342C8.jpeg
I had moved a few corals on the sand bed around to make some room for a new Cynarina and it apparently didn’t like it’s new spot (really only moved it an inch or so). It looked like Spider-Man shooting out webs in two opposite directions. The dragon soul is done for I think, but I think the Yuma will be okay.

This also is a good example of another problem, he constant misidentification of corals. Reclassifications don’t help, but I think vendors should prioritize proper ID over using common names to make searching easier.
War!

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reclassifications don’t help, but I think vendors should prioritize proper ID over using common names to make searching easier.
I’ve been thinking this since getting into the reef game! At first it was cool looking at all the wild names and color patterns. Started getting real confusing when two vendors would claim to have the same coral (chili pepper Monti for example) but one described it as encrusting and another as plating.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • D/C

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Both

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 16.9%
Back