Aquarium Tool that needs to be invented?

1mbrews8

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones biggest "complaint" or annoyance that could be "fixed" with a tool that hasnt been invented yet?

mine is a make decent "turkey baster" type feeder..

my new tank is lower now - 24"- but it is still hard to get to some areas to spot feed with my sea squirt (which leaks and has a too small opening).

what is everyone elses???????

mike

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a piece of rigid airline with a small piece of flexible airline to connect it to the baster, works fairly well.HTH

For an item that needs to be invented I'd say a calcium reactor that doesn't need adjusting... just automatically adjusts itself:)

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a scraper blade with a siphon attachment t suck up the stuff you are scraping?

The Sea Squirt works great with a little mod. I was ready to throw the thing in the trash until I cut the tip off and bent it at a slight angle.

IMG_0280.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote go's for a controller that constantly monitors Cal, Alk, and Mag! It could watch nitrates and phosphates too but I would be happy with the big 3.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a under water shop vac that recycles the water, with attachments, a powerful one at that..... I have been playing with the idea and some day might get it dialed...;) I could just throw a big piece of floss in it and vacuum all the rocks etc.....

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a under water shop vac that recycles the water, with attachments, a powerful one at that..... I have been playing with the idea and some day might get it dialed...;) I could just throw a big piece of floss in it and vacuum all the rocks etc.....

+1 I want one

My LFS used a diatom filter the vacuum rocks and clean there tanks

uchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a inline gauge to tell how much water you take out your tank when doing water changes.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for the underwater shop vac, have you seen the eheim sludge extractor?
never used it but sounds like what youre looking for

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a 50 micron sock zip tied to 1" ID tubing. I start a syphon and place the sock end in my sump. I then stir up my substrate and the sock catches everything with no need to do a WC.

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 50 micron sock zip tied to 1" ID tubing. I start a syphon and place the sock end in my sump. I then stir up my substrate and the sock catches everything with no need to do a WC.

Hmm... I've thought about doing this but always how well it would work

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 I want one

My LFS used a diatom filter the vacuum rocks and clean there tanks

Marinelands Magnum 350 canister filter works fairly well for that purpose,if you use the polishing micron filter in it....problem with it is it stops up rather quickly,a larger version of it would be nice for huge tanks...I'm sure you could build it bigger and better Troy :bigsmile:
lg-321027-49046-42142-fish.jpg

Marineland Magnum 220 & 350 Canister Filters - Guide Product Review

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatom.jpg

built this a while ago. 750gph so its really strong. changed the insides to a huge paper micron filter that lasts forever.. huge surface area... best gravel vac ive used/seen. it was a really cheap DIY too. like 100$ total so not bad at all.

to the guy that mentioned a diatom filter.... i also ran this as a diatom filter.. what u do is but it in re-circulation mode via the valves and add diatomaceous earth powder. let it run until the water clears and all of the diatom powder as caked onto the paper filter... then i open it up to tank water for polishing or vacum. i know this sounds crazy, but i think running this filter like this literally sucked the ich our of my water that had been plagueing my tangs for several months. ran this sucker for one week and not a single spot of ich since. maybe a coinsidence, but diatoms are about the only thing that could capture free floating stage of ich.

Last edited:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back