Aquarium Tool that needs to be invented?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my fantastical idea: a nano particle coating that resists algae and film buildup to keep aquarium glass crystal clear.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of device that can be attached to snails and hermits to help them auto roll over when they fall onto their backs.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love a live tissue printer, think 3d printer. I'd get some color changing coral, I'd even put my name on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Electrokate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatom.jpg

built this a while ago. 750gph so its really strong. changed the insides to a huge paper micron filter that lasts forever.. huge surface area... best gravel vac ive used/seen. it was a really cheap DIY too. like 100$ total so not bad at all.

to the guy that mentioned a diatom filter.... i also ran this as a diatom filter.. what u do is but it in re-circulation mode via the valves and add diatomaceous earth powder. let it run until the water clears and all of the diatom powder as caked onto the paper filter... then i open it up to tank water for polishing or vacum. i know this sounds crazy, but i think running this filter like this literally sucked the ich our of my water that had been plagueing my tangs for several months. ran this sucker for one week and not a single spot of ich since. maybe a coinsidence, but diatoms are about the only thing that could capture free floating stage of ich.

Ich filter... patent that sucker fast!
+1 on either this idea or the magnums. HOT magnum is what I have. Works great but won't hang on my acrylic tank. Great for tank maintenance jobs where the customer overfeeds flake...

hydroinnovations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an invetor for a living and I love this thread. I actually worked an invention that turned out to be pretty hard to manufacture. I wanted to create an underwater UV light for killing anyhing that you directed it at, algae, unwated corals, aptasia etc. To create it I used a diving LED flashlight and removed the standard LED and replaced it with a costly UVC LED ($500). This is not a normal UV LED, it takes a special one to sterilize. I attached a cord to it to replace the batteries and I had the transformer outside the tank. There is one main problem and that is that the UV would not pass through the plastic lens and I had to replace it with quartz, with this quartz lens it was making the LED too weak to kill. Anyways I'm still working on it. It would be too expensive for most folks but this would be a great tool to rent to reefers to take care of some problems.

I was hoping that I could dail it in so that you could pass it over corals and kill AEFW and redbugs but not kill the coral.....that would be freakin awesome.

Last edited:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an invetor for a living and I love this thread. I actually worked an invention that turned out to be pretty hard to manufacture. I wanted to create an underwater UV light for killing anyhing that you directed it at, algae, unwated corals, aptasia etc. To create it I used a diving LED flashlight and removed the standard LED and replaced it with a costly UVC LED ($500). This is not a normal UV LED, it takes a special one to sterilize. I attached a cord to it to replace the batteries and I had the transformer outside the tank. There is one main problem and that is that the UV would not pass through the plastic lens and I had to replace it with quartz, with this quartz lens it was making the LED too weak to kill. Anyways I'm still working on it. It would be too expensive for most folks but this would be a great tool to rent to reefers to take care of some problems.

I was hoping that I could dail it in so that you could pass it over corals and kill AEFW and redbugs but not kill the coral.....that would be freakin awesome.

good idea.,but unless its like 9 watts its not going to work well. hey if worse comes to worse you have a nice hand held tanning machine perfect for bikini line tanning lol

hydroinnovations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought a 5 watt but I think that they offered up to 10 watts...it was about $900! I'm not giving up just yet, just taking a break from it.

Oh and my other problem was keeping the LED to cool enough to operate properly, it is supposed to have a large heat sink installed which I don't have room for inside the flashlight. Instead I'm using heat transfer epoxy on the backside hoping that the surrounding water would draw out the heat.

Last edited:

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a device that resonates a sound frequency that will make coralline fall of the glass/acrylic ;)

ScottyMcReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout a t5 bulb that never blows out or needs changing.... It would save the dent in my wallet every 6 months. Then again just a reef capable light that does this :)

Sent from Scottys HTC Evo 4g

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like a better way to siphon up the detritus in the sump. The canister filter option is nice, but for the occasional job it would be good to have a Mag pump with tubing connected to both ends, with the output going into a filter sock. This allows you to siphon non-stop until done, assuming the pump doesn't clog up on small shells and junk.

I'd like a small scraper that runs along the front glass to clean the area between the glass and sand. A spatula works somewhat.

I'd like a brush to clean the lid of my skimmer as well as the base within the skimmer's body. Heating up a toothbrush to bend it gets a better angle.

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like a better way to siphon up the detritus in the sump. The canister filter option is nice, but for the occasional job it would be good to have a Mag pump with tubing connected to both ends, with the output going into a filter sock. This allows you to siphon non-stop until done, assuming the pump doesn't clog up on small shells and junk.

Needs to have an impeller (or something in addition to it) that operates like a garbage disposal and just grinds everything up...hmmm, might be good for all pumps now that I think about it...

DeathWish302

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones biggest "complaint" or annoyance that could be "fixed" with a tool that hasnt been invented yet?

mine is a make decent "turkey baster" type feeder..

my new tank is lower now - 24"- but it is still hard to get to some areas to spot feed with my sea squirt (which leaks and has a too small opening).

what is everyone elses???????

mike

Someone already did, but NFS. PaulB takes a 60mL pipette bulb (can be found at places like ColePalmer) and inserts over a piece of 1/2" arylic tube. The end of the tube can be bent to any angle youe desire with a heat gun or a gas range burner. I have one from him that is 2+ yrs old and going strong. This is the best piece of DIY equipment I have ever used. Hands down I would never buy a cheapo-depo wally world $5 piece-o-garbage baster again.

I can send some pics and part numbers of the pipette bulb if your interested. Acrylic tube is availabe at your locals plastics dealer or Tap Plastics.

Back