“Budget” wave maker

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m currently on the stage of starting a new tank. This time I try to be as “budget” as possible to see how far down I can get this hobby in.
As stated in the title, I’m not planning on buying a wave maker such as jebao/jecod or any of those cheap sorts, but I’m planning to install a submersible pump (I’ll attach an example below) and installing pvc pipes to branch off into two that will create static flow all over the tank. I would like to ask if anyone else has done this, and either way, would it be a good alternative? Because submersible pumps are way more cheaper and just plonking on pvc pipes intro a T structure would create 2 “wave makers”
7494CD46-8143-4B23-9492-E6DEF07BC056.jpeg

This isn’t the exact model but something like this. For a nano tank btw (16inch by 16 inch by 16 inch cube)

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many great nano wave pumps, and cheap ones, so no need for experimenting.....

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hygger Mini Wave Maker Magnetic DC Powerhead with LED Display Controller for Saltwater Tank, 1600 GPH Aquarium Water Circulation Pump 5 to 30 Gallon https://a.co/d/a5latqB

Hard to beat this one on a budget. This was the first one I owned and only upgraded bc I wanted app control. Now the hygger it's on a qt tank.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hygger Mini Wave Maker Magnetic DC Powerhead with LED Display Controller for Saltwater Tank, 1600 GPH Aquarium Water Circulation Pump 5 to 30 Gallon https://a.co/d/a5latqB

Hard to beat this one on a budget. This was the first one I owned and only upgraded bc I wanted app control. Now the hygger it's on a qt tank.
Wdym by hard to beat on a budget? Is it because doing this project isn’t worth it or will not suffice enough flow/proper for the tank?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on what the budget actually is. The Hygger listed above is quite expensive for what I would consider to be a "budget" wavemaker compared to the pump like the one pictured above that can be had for less than $10...
The Hygger is still a good option, just not as cheap as submersible pumps.

I've used the similar submersible pumps for flow in my QT's and they work well. So far, I have only mounted them on the sidewall and put nothing on the outlet end, but I have parts designed for 3D-printing to make flow nozzles for these pumps for an option way cheaper than even "cheap or budget" wavemakers.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A submersible pump, a enough pvc to create 2 nozzles, and a 16” cube doesn’t leave you much room for the stuff your going to actually want to keep in your tank.

I don’t understand your concern over “cheap” Jebao products, vs a no name chinamart submersible pump. Literally no difference, except the Jebao is actually most likely higher quality.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydor‘s are almost bullet proof. I had a chunk of shell, seize mine up while on vacation, got so hot, it distorted the back cover. Took the shell out, cooled, it’s been running fine, for almost a year. I’m blaming my Urchin for this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that size wouldn't the Jabao be enough flow, plus whatever flow is coming from your filtration?
Tbh, I’m planning to go for the simplest build. No filtration at all. Maybe carbon max or a skimmer if things get out of hand. I’ve seen Danny’s Aquarium do this method. Filterless. Just biological filtration, powerheads and water changes

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are going to have equipment and media in the tank maybe consider the new Sicce Shark filter. Sort of goes against the "no filtration" but even so, it is an attractive way to hide media and to generate some flow.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to have equipment and media in the tank maybe consider the new Sicce Shark filter. Sort of goes against the "no filtration" but even so, it is an attractive way to hide media and to generate some flow.
Would only the filter provide enough flow? Or would you recommend another powerhead

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A submersible pump, a enough pvc to create 2 nozzles, and a 16” cube doesn’t leave you much room for the stuff your going to actually want to keep in your tank.

I don’t understand your concern over “cheap” Jebao products, vs a no name chinamart submersible pump. Literally no difference, except the Jebao is actually most likely higher quality.
Yea, I realise some people did state that the size of the tank is too small to set up something like this.

I have a submersible pump on hand right now, thats why Im thinking of doing something like this haha

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on what the budget actually is. The Hygger listed above is quite expensive for what I would consider to be a "budget" wavemaker compared to the pump like the one pictured above that can be had for less than $10...
The Hygger is still a good option, just not as cheap as submersible pumps.

I've used the similar submersible pumps for flow in my QT's and they work well. So far, I have only mounted them on the sidewall and put nothing on the outlet end, but I have parts designed for 3D-printing to make flow nozzles for these pumps for an option way cheaper than even "cheap or budget" wavemakers.
3D printing is kind of out of the equation here, but I see the idea. So I guess those pumps only provide static and concentrated flow in the tank? Was is enough to cover the tank? Or did you need multiple pumps to do so.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have an elaboration? I dont understand what that statement means
It's essentially a centralized pump (internal or external) that provides flow throughout the tank through a manifold system. The cool thing about this is you can hide the outlets in rockwork and direct flow exactly where you want it, albeit through a less efficient system overall than if you just ran something like a gyre wavemaker.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back