20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Hope you feel better soon.
wow, everybody's really feeling it from something these past few weeks. Can't get fresh air outside when it's 40% humidity either! Eyes don't want to open.
 
it has never accepted anything when i spot feed it mysis. it just lets it float away.
ill try flipping it over and checking underneath. so you think the frogspawn might be bothering it?
Oh absolutely! I didn't notice that in the picture, and it is on the irritated side. I can't say for sure that's what happened, but I'll say that it sure could be! My octospawn was stinging some corals when it was on the sandbed too.
Mine usually only accepts food at night after lights out, when it extends its feeders
Screenshot_20250108_115603_Gallery.jpg
 
I did not know blue Jay's were conquistadors! That's crazy... I'm so sorry you had to deal with that..
We lived in the Sierras for about 8 years and the blue jays were so big and aggressive they'd literally carry away a small dog,which I have two.
 
Joel, I'll trade you a sack of pecans for all that bacon lol. Free pecans for any Smorgasbord family actually. Local pick up only like Kev's birdsnest frags.
images-2.jpeg
 
Oh absolutely! I didn't notice that in the picture, and it is on the irritated side. I can't say for sure that's what happened, but I'll say that it sure could be! My octospawn was stinging some corals when it was on the sandbed too.
Mine usually only accepts food at night after lights out, when it extends its feeders
Screenshot_20250108_115603_Gallery.jpg
What exactly am I looking at for a coral right now? I really like that!
 
Joel, I'll trade you a sack of pecans for all that bacon lol. Free pecans for any Smorgasbord family actually. Local pick up only like Kev's birdsnest frags.
images-2.jpeg
Man you know I'd be there in a heartbeat if I was closer John!
 
do any of you have advice for me on a scoly? its my first and as you can see its starting to pull away from its skeleton. i reached out to the seller and they didnt have any advice for me. ive had it about a month i think
Resized_20250106_152527_1736294301968.jpeg
Scolys can do this. A few important things to check on:
1. Is flow pushing too hard against the flesh in that spot?
2. Are there any coral boring worms, vermetid snails, even feather dusters, or small Aiptasia on the skeleton under that spot?
3. Is there algar growing on the skeleton? Bubble algae and GHA can make it hard for them to recover over exposed skeleton. Looks pretty clean from this point of view though.
4. What are you feeding it and how often? I target feed my meat corals more often when they are in "recovery" mode.

Of course, make sure the scoly isn't getting blasted with acro light levels.
 
do any of you have advice for me on a scoly? its my first and as you can see its starting to pull away from its skeleton. i reached out to the seller and they didnt have any advice for me. ive had it about a month i think
Resized_20250106_152527_1736294301968.jpeg
Forgot to mention bristleworms. While considered innocuous, they can still molest a coral by crawling into skeleton cavities, so have a look for any bristleworms bother it and pull or bait it out.
 
Joel, I'll trade you a sack of pecans for all that bacon lol. Free pecans for any Smorgasbord family actually. Local pick up only like Kev's birdsnest frags.
images-2.jpeg
Family in Louisiana used to have pecan orchards. I still eat them by the handful :-)
 
Family in Louisiana used to have pecan orchards. I still eat them by the handful :)
Louisiana is like God's grocery store! The best ingredients and the best food, right next door.
 
Back to food.
Attempt with the kids to be creative and make alligator bread. Will try a lobster next time.

IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_5018.jpeg
That is awesome! How long do you proof your dough for these?
 
thanks kingranch. i have never seen it extend like that. even after lights out.
Give it a little time. Move it over and make sure that side is in a nice lower flow for now. These corals can be resilient after an injury as I've observed in mine and other's tanks
 
That is awesome! How long do you proof your dough for these?
this one was just store bought frozen French bread dough. I thawed and then constructed the patter. lots of knife cuts.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new