20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Agreed.
Wish I understood it better than I do to be honest.
I believe @ISpeakForTheSeas had a post with a great chart on which algae uses which light but I'm not positive.
Yeah, I've posted on it before - for the simplified version, both algae and coral will grow fine under either white or blue light; some people believe algae does better under white light, but that may or may not be the case.

However, certain corals do better under white light while others do better under blue light; I usually suggest a full-spectrum (i.e. white) light that leans heavy on the blue and light in the red (too much red is not good for corals, but a little red may or may not be good).

Similarly, some kinds of light may be important for some species of fish/invert, but may not be strictly speaking necessary.

Anyway, for the long versions (posts 59 & 63 in this top link):
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/white-lighting-as-it-pertains-to-algae.975639/page-3#post-11224375
The study below tested Acropora variabilis and Porites lutea harvested from 2-6 m deep at maintained 6 m deep; they compared dark (no light), full-spectrum (the control), and blue light settings at 200 μmol and 400 μmol (they tested full-spectrum at 800 μmol as well, but 400 μmol was the highest they could get the blue); they used a metal halide light with polycarbonate filters to control what spectrum the corals were being exposed to - the corals grew (calcified) fastest under the blue light, but there was more photosynthesis under the full-spectrum (white) light:

"The light to dark calcification ratios of A. variabilis under 400 μmol photons m−2 s−1 of control and blue light were 8.4 and 10.5, respectively; while lower ratios were observed in P. lutea (3.4 and 4.5). In both cases, calcification under blue light exceeds even these of the control"

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2015.00122/full
So, under controlled PAR with metal halides, these shallow water corals grew faster under blue light than white, but but photosynthesis decreased drastically under blue light when compared to white.

To contrast with that, though, another study (using three different species of Acropora - A. tenuis, A. muricata, and A. intermedia at 100 μmol and 200 μmol [low numbers, I know] with LED's) compared different spectrums (the first link below) and found that the inclusion of some red light drastically increased the growth rate (the second link below; the green/yellow spectrum made a little bit of difference, but they didn't add much of it in with any of the three spectrums used; it may have made a bigger difference at higher intensities):
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...study-A-PBR-400nm-purple-430nm_fig1_367478086https://www.researchgate.net/figure...erent-light-spectra-Values-are_fig6_367478086The actual study:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._physiological_adaptation_of_Acroporid_corals
Another contrasting study - Stylophora pistillata from shallow (3 m) and deep (40 m) waters; the shallow specimens showed the highest photosynthesis rates under full-spectrum lighting, but the deepwater specimens showed the highest photosynthesis rates under blue lighting (sadly, they didn't measure growth rates, and the study only took place between March and April, so it was rather short, and results may have changed if the study had been longer).
https://journals.biologists.com/jeb...-spectral-quality-of-light-is-a-key-driver-of
So, does blue light grow Acropora or other SPS faster than full-spectrum (white) light? It depends on the coral (both species and individual specimen), the location and depth/temperature the coral is from, what light the corals are photo-acclimated to (a shallow water coral growing under blue light in a hobbyist tank for 5 years is likely going to be acclimated to blue light despite its origins), year-round weather conditions (storms and such play a big role in determining what light is reaching the water), the clade of zooxanthellae they're using, etc.

Does the kind of light used (metal halide vs t5 vs LED, etc.) make a difference, or is it all in the spectrum, intensity, and photoperiod? I don't think we'll be able to answer this unless someone is able to make LED's with the exact same spectrum as those other types of lighting, but I'd guess any differences would be minimal.

So, lots of different things go into the growth, and again, fast growth doesn't necessarily equate to excellent health/coloration (it might, but it also might not). Does each coral species have it's own optimal spectrum for growth/health/color? Probably, but I doubt it would perfectly match a different species own optimal spectrum, so I don't know that it would much matter in our tanks - instead, we'd need to find the optimal spectrum for a broad range of corals, which may not be optimal for any particular coral we keep:

"Zooxanthellate corals display contrasting photoacclimation responses, coral cover, colony morphologies and genetic richness along depth gradients33,49,50,51,52,53,54, which collectively suggest that coral species occupy different light niches."
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-25094-5
Personally, I'd expect to see similar (not the same, but similar) growth rates from a lot of corals under both blue and full-spectrum lights; some will likely do better under one than the other, but determining which is a lot of effort.

For that reason, like I've said before, at this point in time (barring a major, undeniable scientific breakthrough with our knowledge of corals and light), I would personally only suggest running the windex blue tanks if you really want to see the coral fluorescence pop (as mentioned by others, though, the colors may be best in the long run if you run different spectrums than just blue throughout the day). Like many others have mentioned in various forms by this point, I'd personally run a full-spectrum (white) light that leans somewhat more toward the blue side of things. Is that the "best" spectrum? Maybe, maybe not, but it seems like a good, safe place to start from.
TLDR; white and blue light both work for coral and for algae; what's best for one coral or algae may not be the best for another (even of the same species).
 
So here’s the lighting formula I figured out years ago

If your light has multiple blue channels and violet, treat them as one channel.

Adjust to desired par

For me, I aim for 100 par on the sandbed. So I make Blue, Royal Blue, and Violet the same, and increase together, until my sandbed is approx 100 everywhere. Slight variations in some spots is normal. For my light, mounting height, and tank, this results in channels 3,5,6 at 40%

Then, white channel is like seasoning. Add white to your taste. For me, this is around 5-8% on ch 4. But i ran my reef over a year with white on 0-2%. And I know many that also do not use white channel at all.

Red and green channel are then leftover on my fixture. They are useless and I leave them at zero

Then to grow macro algae, all you need is red

Lighting complete!
So what do you do if your only options are blue and white? That's the only thing I can control on the reef beat Leds I have.
 
After these last light comments I may need to adjust my noopsyches. My Radion is set to "natural reef" and I haven't been able to get the reef link to talk to my network.
 
So lowering just white light a few percent shouldn't effect Par too much? I went from 20% to 12% and without a par meter, I didn't have actual numbers.
White can have big impact but we usually only use it in very low percentages so it’s not to significant
 
After these last light comments I may need to adjust my noopsyches. My Radion is set to "natural reef" and I haven't been able to get the reef link to talk to my network.
Mobius app?
 
So what do you do if your only options are blue and white? That's the only thing I can control on the reef beat Leds I have.
I would use same strategy. Blues to get to needed par levels then add white to adjust spectrum to personal preference
 
So what do you do if your only options are blue and white? That's the only thing I can control on the reef beat Leds I have.
I think these comments suggest that's pretty much all you need. Are you getting adequate par?
 
I love mine, but for me they have been slow growers, @JoJosReef also has some I think, let's wait for him to shows up to see how his does.
Lost mine. They grew well and were hardy, but I didn't tend to my zoa garden and loat both my magicians and my utter chaos to a faster grower that overtook them.
 
I would use same strategy. Blues to get to needed par levels then add white to adjust spectrum to personal preference
Still confused maybe I should stick with one of the preset programs that came with it. Or the one I still have saved from when Jennifer had the lights that her reef guy made for her...
 
Mobius app?
It's too old. I bought it used from Premium Aquarium in Salem, OR about 7 years ago, although it wasn't used for 2 years or so after my 1st tank crashed.
 
Yeah, I've posted on it before - for the simplified version, both algae and coral will grow fine under either white or blue light; some people believe algae does better under white light, but that may or may not be the case.

However, certain corals do better under white light while others do better under blue light; I usually suggest a full-spectrum (i.e. white) light that leans heavy on the blue and light in the red (too much red is not good for corals, but a little red may or may not be good).

Similarly, some kinds of light may be important for some species of fish/invert, but may not be strictly speaking necessary.

Anyway, for the long versions (posts 59 & 63 in this top link):
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/white-lighting-as-it-pertains-to-algae.975639/page-3#post-11224375
TLDR; white and blue light both work for coral and for algae; what's best for one coral or algae may not be the best for another (even of the same species).
Thank you very much!
 
It's too old. I bought it used from Premium Aquarium in Salem, OR about 7 years ago, although it wasn't used for 2 years or so after my 1st tank crashed.
Correction after my 3rd tank crashed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new