1.5g Oddity Jar

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick background!
I’ve been keeping planted freshwater tanks for years and have always had an interest in a marine system, since I love the ocean and am actually a grad student who works often in the marine sciences, but I’m also one of those people who researches things to death and I’ve never reached a moment in my reading where I felt confident enough to start something up.

Until apparently two weeks ago? While away from home I’ve been missing my fish and cats something awful (they’re safe with my mom). I really need something to cultivate and care for, to keep me sane, and for some reason instead of a normal potted plant I decided to take the plunge with a Pico saltwater tank. This will be dedicated not to coral but to the sorts of amazing critters that tend to hitchhike into our boxes via quality live rock, as my fascination with them knows no bounds.

Eventually I would like to create a “pest” tank containing only oddballs, macro algae, and the sorts of animals that we normally regard as undesirable in the hobby. For now, I’ll probably not be adding any sorts of coral unless it’s hardy enough to survive an overnight journey across the continent in May.

So, here’s my journal for the Oddity Jar. Please pipe up with critique, info, advice, etc whenever you see fit!

Equipment
Anchor Hocking Montana Glass Jar, 1.5 gallons.
Marina floating thermometer (soon to be replaced with a digital one since I don’t think it’s reading correctly).
Bubblefin ATC salinity refractometer.
Instant Ocean sea salt.
Hydor 25W mini heater.
Inkbird temp controller.
Hygger mini air pump.
Kingbo 18W LED (considering switching to ABI 12W tuna blue if/when coral is added).
15” gooseneck lamp with clamp.
Timer for lamp.

Innards
2 lbs of rock given to me from a reputable fish store refugium, very clean/critterless but has purple coralline so that’s cool.
Aragonite sand.
Handful of macro I haven’t identified yet.

Arriving shortly
~2 lbs of uncured live rock and some chaeto from KP Aquatics. Will switch out the existing rock.
Algae magnet.

Need to acquire
A lid better than the plastic wrap I usually stretch over the top.

Params:
Ammonia at 0 within 12 hours as of yesterday. Nitrates around 5 when tested this morning.
Salinity of 1.025
Temp around 78-79, working on figuring out how to lower it a bit. Issue of the light and heater.
Light on 8 hours a day.

Photos (I haven’t tried to scape this yet or clean up the tubes so it looks pretty janky right now)

DFA24017-8AB6-4505-A749-2335422EA5FA.jpeg

2ADEFCA6-81A0-4263-BACE-8AD3268B4A94.jpeg

OP
OP
C

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
(Edit to move pics around)

My chaeto and LR arrived today. I cannot say enough good things about KPA and their correspondence with me.

I got a bit too much chaeto. For the moment I have some in a breeder box until I decide what to do with it. I may stuff it into the OJ for the time being since it will help with nitrates and filtration...

The LR is beautiful. Several live brittle stars have been sighted, to start, and two tiny crabs. Lots of orange and pink on this winters rock.

Everything is in. Not quite scaped yet, and lights off to help things acclimate. Hope I got some weird and fantastic critters!

Also. Man I’ll never get work done now. Will be constantly staring into a jar.
Wish us luck!!

4482FF87-EA5B-4C13-9670-D013B165C6A7.jpeg

2F81E17C-DA6A-40D5-8560-4A5F4BCA0C77.jpeg

1981B629-553C-4765-BFBC-8A226B47463E.jpeg

AB4C8A29-98CB-42C2-836F-033F3EE9F0B9.jpeg

C3557CA5-0DC0-4E92-9A93-45DE7162B2D9.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey looks good, and that's quality live rock too. This system needs to be fed lightly with reef foods right before the water change, you don't want rotting feed stewing in the system with daily additions like normal tanks use. the right way to run this is with sparse feedings, but occasionally you dose the sys then chg water.

OP
OP
C

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey looks good, and that's quality live rock too. This system needs to be fed lightly with reef foods right before the water change, you don't want rotting feed stewing in the system with daily additions like normal tanks use. the right way to run this is with sparse feedings, but occasionally you dose the sys then chg water.

Thank you for the tip! I was thinking that feeding before a WC is best, so like a tiny amount of phyto or something similar to reef roids once a week (since I'm doing one large WC weekly)? That still needs to be worked out. I haven't been growing a ton of algae yet, so I want to make sure things can eat.

I was just given a 3g cube and might upgrade everything soon, if only because I'd have room to convert the BB or an AC to a fuge so the chaeto can be utilized properly.

Seen a few more cool bugs.

I've been hassling local reefers for aiptasia and/or majano. Would also eventually like to find some other varieties of macro...

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tiny tank! I got my rock from the same place. I had a some nudis that were bad and I still have at least two hairy crabs with black claws so good chance you will get your pest critters! I’ll send you my crabs if I ever catch them:D

OP
OP
C

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tiny tank! I got my rock from the same place. I had a some nudis that were bad and I still have at least two hairy crabs with black claws so good chance you will get your pest critters! I’ll send you my crabs if I ever catch them:D

Oh yay, how exciting!! So far have only spotted brittle stars. The crabs I found alive were super tiny, so it's hard to ID.
I've seen at least one pod, prob from the chaeto -- which is also full of tiny bivalves or snails, can't tell. And a micro critter that looks like half a centipede swimming around, but with a clear body. I think I'm gonna invest in some live phyto.

OP
OP
C

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awful discovery today. At least two of the brittle stars are loosing limbs. I’ve read that this is a sign of stress...so, probably from moving, and likely my params weren’t what they were used to. I must’ve not acclimated them correctly.

I did a 100% water change this morning before leaving for class. When I came back I saw a tiny feather duster that popped back into its tube when it sensed me, as well as a snail on the glass.

I feel terrible about these stars. Hope that keeping the water clean might be enough to help them through.

OP
OP
C

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gorgeous!!

Snuck up on the feather duster and was able to take this last night. Do they ever get less shy? :p I had to slowly crawl up to the jar on hands and knees to get this pic...
0AC66C54-EA76-4CB7-A114-FF11CAC0BE9A.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them out all day in past tanks, but have one now that is very finicky. That is actually a good word for them in general.

OP
OP
C

coralcello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved everybody to a 3g, mostly so I could hack an AC50 to keep the chaeto in so it doesn’t crowd. Plus, yay refugium.

Cool life I’ve spotted since last update:
-Mystery creature that lurks in a hole. Looks like a massive pod but how big can these things actually get?! It’s nocturnal and has eyes that glint in the flashlight (I may need to invest in a red light)
-Tiny crab that was grazing on some algae
-Bristle worm
-Delicate red worm
-Another small worm, no bristles
-An intact brittle star thank god
-Something that is either a tiny lone polyp of a sort or a very small anemone

Also: EXCITING next post to come ASAP :)

E8D4873E-2B8C-40ED-AD54-6625560630E9.jpeg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back