1 fish dies every couple nights

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am losing 1 fish every few nights.

I have a Redsea 250. Been running for over a year with corals, snails, and crabs. My parameters are good: 1.024, 10.1Kh, 450 calcium, 1400 magnisium, 0.25 phosphate, and temp is 77F.

I added a Singapor angel three weeks ago. He was good. I added 2 fire fish, clown, pink spotted goby, and melanurus wrasse two weeks ago. I acclimated for 2 hrs. tested the fish store water it was 1.023. The fish have no indications of brook or Ich. . They eat good. I am feeding the New Life spectum fish food and spirolina mysis shrimp. They look good and behave good. Swimming around tank. not hiding. No heavy breathing. They look great and healthy.

Then monday a fire fish was dead in morning. 4 days later the singapor angel was dead. The pink spotted goby is dead this morning. My other fire fish and clown fish are doing great. clear skin, swiming good. eating great. The melunaraus wrass is missing this morning but he has been a good hider and comes out mid day.

Im thinking I have a bobbit worm in tank and he is getting a fish at night????? Any other throughts on what could cause this.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a Redsea 250. Been running for over a year with corals, snails, and crabs. My parameters are good: 1.024, 10.1Kh, 450 calcium, 1400 magnisium, 0.25 phosphate, and temp is 77F.

I added a Singapor angel three weeks ago. He was good. I added 2 fire fish, clown, pink spotted goby, and melanurus wrasse two weeks ago. I acclimated for 2 hrs. tested the fish store water it was 1.023. The fish have no indications of brook or Ich. . They eat good. I am feeding the New Life spectum fish food and spirolina mysis shrimp. They look good and behave good. Swimming around tank. not hiding. No heavy breathing. They look great and healthy.

Then monday a fire fish was dead in morning. 4 days later the singapor angel was dead. The pink spotted goby is dead this morning. My other fire fish and clown fish are doing great. clear skin, swiming good. eating great. The melunaraus wrass is missing this morning but he has been a good hider and comes out mid day.

Im thinking I have a bobbit worm in tank and he is getting a fish at night????? Any other throughts on what could cause this.
Have you found the bodies in the morning and what do they look like? Shredded fins or signs of attack?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess would be sickness. Do you quarantine everything?

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found the bodies in the morning and what do they look like? Shredded fins or signs of attack?
no shredded fins or anything. eyes are clear. no white spots on the bodies or gils. They all looked happy and healthy feeding the night before. Then in the morning only 1 is dead.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess would be aggression (clowns are really good at it), second would be disease, bobbit would be pretty far down the list. What do the bodies look like. Any outward signs of aggression or disease? What makes you think bobbit?

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess would be aggression (clowns are really good at it), second would be disease, bobbit would be pretty far down the list. What do the bodies look like. Any outward signs of aggression or disease? What makes you think bobbit?
The clownfish doesnt show any signs of aggrssion. he just swims around tank. never showed any signs of aggression(like what a marron clown would). jus swims around happy and eats. Same as the purple fire fish.

I was thinking bobbit since all the fish look good all day then only 1 is dead in the morning. I would think disease would affect them all the same.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sounds like either hidden parasite such as flukes, but would have likely hit the remaining fish. Yes Bobbit or other worm IS a possibility.
Ammonia and Nitrate- assure you are not getting false readings, but you can sure take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api kits and see if their readings match yours and even consider an ICP test for me is often a check-up of ALL parameters.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish doesnt show any signs of aggrssion. he just swims around tank. never showed any signs of aggression(like what a marron clown would). jus swims around happy and eats. Same as the purple fire fish.

I was thinking bobbit since all the fish look good all day then only 1 is dead in the morning. I would think disease would affect them all the same.
That would be unusual for a bobbit. They typically kill and then drag the victim someplace to eat. I suppose a sadistic, homicidal bobbit is possible but mainly they kill to eat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no shredded fins or anything. eyes are clear. no white spots on the bodies or gils. They all looked happy and healthy feeding the night before. Then in the morning only 1 is dead.
The losses may or may not be related. Singapore angels are commonly sold, but are really delicate.
One thing that causes chronic fish loss over time with often minor symptoms are Gryrodactylus flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
cryotek74

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like either hidden parasite such as flukes, but would have likely hit the remaining fish. Yes Bobbit or other worm IS a possibility.
Ammonia and Nitrate- assure you are not getting false readings, but you can sure take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api kits and see if their readings match yours and even consider an ICP test for me is often a check-up
nitrates are zero(hanna LR). ammonia is very unlikely given the tank has been running for over a year. FIsh dont show signs of ammonia(heavy breathing or surfacing to breathe. the sump has 10lbs of Seachem matrix.

I have Prazipro.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back