1 MP60 or 2 MP40's?

kingkongds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone...
I have been looking for an answer, but have not been able to find it. Maybe if someone can help point me in the right direction if this has already been answered.... or... help me with my question.

Tank: 160 gallon display tank / Peninsula tank / mixed reef / 3/4" glass / 72"length x 24"wide x 23"tall

Question: For the peninsula tank, I am planning to put the ecotech MP's on the side wall where the overflow is. Should I run 1 MP60 approximately 12" down from the top or.... do 2 MP40's approximately 1/3 ways down and 2/3 ways down?

Thoughts?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96x24x24
I have 4 MP60s in it. 2 on each end. I think you are being a bit optimistic about their capabilities.
2021110717260680-iOS-Upload-File-77480681-L.jpg

I use 2 MP40s in my 75 gallon tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the MP's due to the cost. However just having them on one side probably won't be enough. The idea is to have no dead spots for flow. So pumps on both ends and possibly even on the back wall may be necessary depending on the rock structure. Gyre pumps may also be something to look into.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 350 gallon reef. All my pumps are on the ends. 60s 1/3 down towards back, 40s 1/3 down towards front . Wave makers towards top center.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get 2 mp40s. I have a pair on my 200g sps dominant tank and they kick out some serious flow. I don’t even run them at full power because they are so powerful.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get 2 mp40s. I have a pair on my 200g sps dominant tank and they kick out some serious flow. I don’t even run them at full power because they are so powerful.
I agree. Running all mine at 45% the only reason for two mps on each end is that my tank is 36 inches front to back.

OP
OP
K

kingkongds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96x24x24
I have 4 MP60s in it. 2 on each end. I think you are being a bit optimistic about their capabilities.
2021110717260680-iOS-Upload-File-77480681-L.jpg

I use 2 MP40s in my 75 gallon tank.
Thanks WVNed! I have a Peninsula Tank and would like to run on 1 end only..

I've never used the MP's due to the cost. However just having them on one side probably won't be enough. The idea is to have no dead spots for flow. So pumps on both ends and possibly even on the back wall may be necessary depending on the rock structure. Gyre pumps may also be something to look into.
Jekyl.. thank you for the suggestion… I do want to keep it all on 1 side. I’m hoping to not have any dead spots. Using MP’s because I want to just control them from one controller and… no wires coming out of the display tank. I’ll definitely look into the Gyre pumps, never heard of before.

reefz… I might try this and see how it goes. Do you think the mp40 is strong enough to push water 6’ … I’m only planning to use one end… why I got a Peninsula tank.

I agree. Running all mine at 45% the only reason for two mps on each end is that my tank is 36 inches front to back.
kzenoni.. I have a peninsula tank.. just thinking to keep all the heads in one end… that’s why I was thinking maybe the MP60… but maybe the MP40 can push water 6’ ?

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks WVNed! I have a Peninsula Tank and would like to run on 1 end only..

Jekyl.. thank you for the suggestion… I do want to keep it all on 1 side. I’m hoping to not have any dead spots. Using MP’s because I want to just control them from one controller and… no wires coming out of the display tank. I’ll definitely look into the Gyre pumps, never heard of before.

reefz… I might try this and see how it goes. Do you think the mp40 is strong enough to push water 6’ … I’m only planning to use one end… why I got a Peninsula tank.

kzenoni.. I have a peninsula tank.. just thinking to keep all the heads in one end… that’s why I was thinking maybe the MP60… but maybe the MP40 can push water 6’ ?
My tank was a 7 ft , I’m afraid that the one end won’t have enough current to do much but the other end would be blowing sand. With one on each end you will end up with good turbulence in the center of the tank.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally--and this may be over kill, but i like a lot of flow at times in my reef tanks--i bought six mp 60's for a 72 inch long peninsula. All will be on the overflow end as i can't stand--and would never have--pumps or cords on viewing panels.

OP
OP
K

kingkongds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally--and this may be over kill, but i like a lot of flow at times in my reef tanks--i bought six mp 60's for a 72 inch long peninsula. All will be on the overflow end as i can't stand--and would never have--pumps or cords on viewing panels.
Do you have a picture of this by any chance? I am thinking of starting with 2 mp60's now...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with this. I have 2 MP40's on one side, and 1 MP60 on the other side of my 6ft tank, and it's PLENTY of flow.
It depends on a lot of factors, including how your rockscaping is setup. You're saying you're good with 3; a few of us have suggested 4 - and the OP has 3. So he can try it with the 3 and see how it goes.

OP
OP
K

kingkongds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on a few items to arrive but I am going to try running everything on the overflow side of my Peninsula tank to see how it goes... did a lot of asking and looking and it doesn't seem like there is much regarding Peninsula tank set ups....
For now, will be planning on running 2 MP60's on one end where the overflow box is located. I also purchased a Maxspect XF350 Gyre which I think I can attach it to the overflow box under the weirs.

I have not aquascaped the tank yet.. but will probably be doing a few islands with arches.... the rocks won't be extending past the half way height of the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back