1 or 2 gyres?

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2016
Messages
344
Reaction score
292
Location
Midwest
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 54 gallon corner aquarium. Currently I have a 1k gyre on the right hand side running alternating at 80%. There are only fish in it at the moment while it finishes up its ugly phase. I’m thinking I’m going to want more flow once I start adding corals though. Will be LPS dominated.
Would you recommend 2 1K gyres or 1 3K gyre?


BFDBE204-E3E9-4B1D-8264-8DB5F7855252.jpeg
 
A 1k is more than enough for a 55 with LPS. However i am a fan of random and changing directional flow. So with one pump your flow will always travel in the same direction. It may change in speed depending on controller settings. But adding another power head will allow different flow direction, random flow with both going at the same time and alternating power between the two. Another bonus are dead spots can be reduced.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new