1 year in but water still cloudy

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is a 1000L FOWLR tank which has been running for almost a year. Ever since the tank has been running it seems to always have a slight cloud to the water. It’s not very noticeable when looking at it from the front, however side on makes it quite apparent. It can be hard to see one end of the tank to the other when looking through the tank. The tank is 10ft long but I don’t think that’s the issue.

Temp: 26.7
Salinity: 34.9
Ammonia: <0.05
Nitrite: <0.01
Nitrate: 20-25
Oxygen: 6
KH: 11
Calcium: 520
Magnesium: 1760
Phosphate: 1.8
Silica: <0.1
PH: 8

Does any one have an ideas where I’m going wrong ? I know phosphates are high but I wouldn’t expect them to cloud like that and they are coming down with no improvement to the water. I’ve also got a very strong UV running 24/7 so don’t think bacterial bloom.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of biological filtration do you have and do you think it is large enough for your FOWLR load.

Are you bare bottom or crushed coral ? do you have sand borrowing fish such as wrasses or gobies ?

My guess is bio from free flowing bacteria even though you have UV.

Not saying you have too, but most people with 8-10 tanks find that column hard to make crystal clear without heavy use of carbon and water polishing. The ultimate fix would be Ozone, but that comes with a lot cost and deep knowledge of Ozone. I wouldn't suggest Ozone to anyone that doesn't really research it well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm any pics? have you tried running carbon or what kind of filter media do you use?
It’s hard to get a pic to show it. My phone isn’t great with the reef lights

I’ve tried carbon, I’ve got Seachem matrix carbon in at the moment.

I use phosguard, purigen and JBL Bio nitrate X. Carbon on and off but I’ve never actually seen it make a difference.

I’ve increased surface movement. No help.

My female Maroon clown does swat the sand with her tail before she lays but I don’t think it’s enough to cloud the whole tank like that

Upvote 0

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca above 500 and mg above 1700 in fowl tank.... Hmm....

Also, kh 11 with such high values...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of biological filtration do you have and do you think it is large enough for your FOWLR load.

Are you bare bottom or crushed coral ? do you have sand borrowing fish such as wrasses or gobies ?

My guess is bio from free flowing bacteria even though you have UV.

Not saying you have too, but most people with 8-10 tanks find that column hard to make crystal clear without heavy use of carbon and water polishing. The ultimate fix would be Ozone, but that comes with a lot cost and deep knowledge of Ozone. I wouldn't suggest Ozone to anyone that doesn't really research it well.
The tank is well stocked so I went really heavy with bio filter. I’ve got a mix of aquaroche pellets and seachem matrix, combined probably about 3kg worth. The rock it’s self in the tank is a mix of real reef rock and Aquaroche.

I have a crushed coral base and some of my fish do kick it up, especially the female Maroon before she lays but I don’t think it’s enough. Apart from her any other movement is from the eels or a tang trying to get under a ledge that’s too small for it

Do you think ? My UV is a TMC commercial unit. Does the wattage make a difference ? I have little to no knowledge of ozone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about you filtration and maintenance schedule
I have two Fluval FX6’s connected to the tank. Both have a good amount of filter pads in them. Both normal and extra fine. I change the pads in both every 1-2 weeks. I clean the filters on a rotation. The left one is cleaned every 3-4 weeks, the right is done 2 weeks after the left. They aren’t particularly dirty though. Normally the filter pads take the worst of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bacterial issue if the rocks can’t keep up with your bioload… do you use filter socks or polishing pads or anything?
I have about 3kg of bio filter and 80-100kg of rock. I’d hope it’s enough. I do use polishing pads yep

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For proper application check the UV's flow rate. If the flow is to fast you are in effect bypassing it.
What flow rate would you expect to fight the bacteria ? I set it up with ich in mind so the flow is aimed at fighting ich. I was always told to run it slower with fighting ich. I’d assume ich is hardier than bacteria as how much UV is needed to kill them ?

Upvote 0

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is well stocked so I went really heavy with bio filter. I’ve got a mix of aquaroche pellets and seachem matrix, combined probably about 3kg worth. The rock it’s self in the tank is a mix of real reef rock and Aquaroche.

I have a crushed coral base and some of my fish do kick it up, especially the female Maroon before she lays but I don’t think it’s enough. Apart from her any other movement is from the eels or a tang trying to get under a ledge that’s too small for it

Do you think ? My UV is a TMC commercial unit. Does the wattage make a difference ? I have little to no knowledge of ozone
What Watt UV are you running, Yes it makes all the difference.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm any pics? have you tried running carbon or what kind of filter media do you use?
IMG_4700.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to get a pic to show it. My phone isn’t great with the reef lights

I’ve tried carbon, I’ve got Seachem matrix carbon in at the moment.

I use phosguard, purigen and JBL Bio nitrate X. Carbon on and off but I’ve never actually seen it make a difference.

I’ve increased surface movement. No help.

My female Maroon clown does swat the sand with her tail before she lays but I don’t think it’s enough to cloud the whole tank like that
If you have really fine sand, some of it is perma suspended in the water column. Also, maybe you need to see an eye doctor, maybe your eyes are going to poop. I am worried about you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emonemo25

emonemo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have really fine sand, some of it is perma suspended in the water column. Also, maybe you need to see an eye doctor, maybe your eyes are going to poop. I am worried about you!
I used crushed coral sand, mix of fine and corse. It could be but I would have thought after so long my filters would pull it out no ? Thanks for the concern, maybe a trip for an eye test is needed !

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back