10 gallon stocking

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got a im nuvo 10 a couple weeks ago. and I need to come up with a stock list

I was thinking

. tailspot blenny

. pistol shrimp, goby pair I was thinking yellow watchmen but I am open to suggestions

make sure you are sitting down when you read this ;)

. red scooter blenny(dragonet)
before the dragonet police arrest me I understand they need a lot of pods. before I get one I will learn pod, and phyto culturing and I understand I might need to hatch brine shrimp daily. and I will have a back up plan, I will make sure there are several suitable tanks(lfs, local reefers) I could move it to.

is that too many fish?
Thanks for the help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stocking amount is fine, may be a little inactive for watching purposes as most fish listed are pretty calm. You may be able to add a firefish because all are low waste.
Do you have bigger tanks the dragonet can go in right away? From what I’ve read, anything you can do to feed one in too small a tank always fails eventually.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stocking amount is fine, may be a little inactive for watching purposes as most fish listed are pretty calm. You may be able to add a firefish because all are low waste.
Do you have bigger tanks the dragonet can go in right away? From what I’ve read, anything you can do to feed one in too small a tank always fails eventually.
I don't own a bigger tank I could use but before I start working towards getting one I am going to ask local reefers and my lfs if they would take it if anything went wrong
Like shark bait said, you could give the scooter a crack but it would be extremely difficult and timely.

Nigel
controlling nitrates phosphates? or culturing pods, and phyto?

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a bigger tank I could use but before I start working towards getting one I am going to ask local reefers and my lfs if they would take it if anything went wrong

controlling nitrates phosphates? or culturing pods, and phyto?
Parameters are the easy part, what I mean is that it would be a challenge to be able to keep enough pods for it to eat. It is easier in a larger tank because they have more area to roam around and hunt, however in a smaller environment it just makes this a little trickier. If you could somehow be hatching enough pods to keep the little guys appetite satisfied then I think it can be done. But their is little margin for error.

Nigel

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are the easy part, what I mean is that it would be a challenge to be able to keep enough pods for it to eat. It is easier in a larger tank because they have more area to roam around and hunt, however in a smaller environment it just makes this a little trickier. If you could somehow be hatching enough pods to keep the little guys appetite satisfied then I think it can be done. But their is little margin for error.

Nigel
I was thinking I would hang a 2 liter bottle that slowly drips pods or brine shrimp and I refill it every day

SWMBO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely easier than a mandarin. Just make sure you have a backup culture, and a backup for the backup etc.
Or buy A LOT of pods regularly?

Fun quiz, who has cost more to feed this month?

Candidate 1: 17kg Siberian Husky,

Or

Candidate 2: teeny tiny Dragonet.

Attachments

• 20210320_102927.jpg
    20210320_102927.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210607_112417.jpg
    20210607_112417.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or buy A LOT of pods regularly?

Fun quiz, who has cost more to feed this month?

Candidate 1: 17kg Siberian Husky,

Or

Candidate 2: teeny tiny Dragonet.
#2 which is why I am going to culture them

cute dog btw

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 which is why I am going to culture them

cute dog btw
Your culture project is going to turn into a daily job. They forage ALL THE TIME...your best bet is to track down one that has been weened onto pellets already, or work like heck while QT'ing it to get it to take pellets.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your culture project is going to turn into a daily job. They forage ALL THE TIME...your best bet is to track down one that has been weened onto pellets already, or work like heck while QT'ing it to get it to take pellets.
its a good thing I don't have a job ;) do you know if brine shrimp will work long term?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a good thing I don't have a job ;) do you know if brine shrimp will work long term?
They'll eat em, but nutritionally it won't fill the bill and the dragonet will be problematic on a brine shrimp only diet.

With that said, I raise brine shrimp for my tank....about every 3 days I dump a big ol' cup in and my fish/corals love it. I try and fortify them with phyto. I made a lil' brine shrimpery out of some ice tea bottles and an air pump. I can shoot ya a pic if ya want. Super easy.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll eat em, but nutritionally it won't fill the bill and the dragonet will be problematic on a brine shrimp only diet.

With that said, I raise brine shrimp for my tank....about every 3 days I dump a big ol' cup in and my fish/corals love it. I try and fortify them with phyto. I made a lil' brine shrimpery out of some ice tea bottles and an air pump. I can shoot ya a pic if ya want. Super easy.
so if I feed them phyto it still won't work?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I will be patient and wait until I can afford a bigger tank for the dragonet. so what could I add with the tail spot blenny and goby/pistol shrimp pair? I think @Sharkbait19 mentioned a fire fish

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I will be patient and wait until I can afford a bigger tank for the dragonet. so what could I add with the tail spot blenny and goby/pistol shrimp pair? I think @Sharkbait19 mentioned a fire fish
Firefish and the like tend to be a bit jumpy, I have a geometric pygmy hawk with my pistol shrimp and goby and he's a super cool dude. I'd check out a blue neon goby, they are fun and stay small.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red firefish seem to be less skittish from what I’ve read. Mine would greet me by the glass and acclimated to tank life rather quickly.
Clown is always an option. Coral gobies and neons are fun fish. Neons do like the sandbed though and may get into fights with the shrimp and goby.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back