100 gallon reef build - basement sump

LostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted a 100 gallon tank and have a 90 gallon that had hesitated setting up because I was renting. I finally bought a house I will be in for at least a decade. I am not exactly a newbie but in some ways it seems so.

My history:
Late 90s to early 2000s- as a teenager I took over my mother’s fish tanks. Started with a 30g freshwater angel tank. Tried breeding and raised a few batches and sold them to the lfs.
Got a 55g and had an overstocked fishonly (not enough live rock to be fowlr) lost a of maintenance required and when I went to college it crashed without me.

In college - got a 200g for $100 but too broke to “do it right.” Diyed everything. Remote deep sand bed. DIY hang on back overflow. About 100 gallons of sump between storage totes, trashcans, and buckets. Fowlr. Got it dialed in to fairly low maintenance. Yellow tang the size of a small plate. Pair of maroon tangs that got enormous. Various other fish that I thought were pretty. I was starting with my first zoas.

Damsel disaster! The yellow tailed damsel that I had gotten on the advice of the pet store... I know better than to trust advice from a “pet store” now, but I didn’t know better back then.

According to my roommates while I was out of town, the damsel seemed to have gone insane. It started attacking everything. One fish died. My stupid roommates (in a drunken decision) decided to help. They took everything out of the tank and used the mop bucket to do it. Everything died by the time I got back. I gave up.

NOW:
I am starting again! New house! New tank!

7d629fc6c0d8f20ea6e9e4def1627c15.jpg

100 gallon tank with internal overflow. 2 - 1 inch drains. 1 1.25 with Durso standpipe. I want to use these for a bean animal, but have never made one.

This will flow through the floor to the unfinished basement. I am wanting a 100-150 gallon stock tank for a sump.
Jebao dcp 15000 for the return pump.
Several heaters of various wattages.
Reef octopus skimmer.
About 70 lbs of baserock that was once live rock.
2 metal halides (don’t know the wattage)

OP
OP
L

LostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1:
65a0291531238d2f947752f6893b2be0.jpg
a13061c207d787e7d0865a3d6f65e6bc.jpg
2467a9fda5b4a78803fe0ec698151371.jpg
668611c9a03114b4f3d1d71d34cfe6a7.jpg
70b9393020de42440571b2acade40113.jpg

My very shallow sand bed became a bare bottom when I tested the power heads... but they were free and they worked.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted a 100 gallon tank and have a 90 gallon that had hesitated setting up because I was renting. I finally bought a house I will be in for at least a decade. I am not exactly a newbie but in some ways it seems so.

My history:
Late 90s to early 2000s- as a teenager I took over my mother’s fish tanks. Started with a 30g freshwater angel tank. Tried breeding and raised a few batches and sold them to the lfs.
Got a 55g and had an overstocked fishonly (not enough live rock to be fowlr) lost a of maintenance required and when I went to college it crashed without me.

In college - got a 200g for $100 but too broke to “do it right.” Diyed everything. Remote deep sand bed. DIY hang on back overflow. About 100 gallons of sump between storage totes, trashcans, and buckets. Fowlr. Got it dialed in to fairly low maintenance. Yellow tang the size of a small plate. Pair of maroon tangs that got enormous. Various other fish that I thought were pretty. I was starting with my first zoas.

Damsel disaster! The yellow tailed damsel that I had gotten on the advice of the pet store... I know better than to trust advice from a “pet store” now, but I didn’t know better back then.

According to my roommates while I was out of town, the damsel seemed to have gone insane. It started attacking everything. One fish died. My stupid roommates (in a drunken decision) decided to help. They took everything out of the tank and used the mop bucket to do it. Everything died by the time I got back. I gave up.

NOW:
I am starting again! New house! New tank!

7d629fc6c0d8f20ea6e9e4def1627c15.jpg

100 gallon tank with internal overflow. 2 - 1 inch drains. 1 1.25 with Durso standpipe. I want to use these for a bean animal, but have never made one.

This will flow through the floor to the unfinished basement. I am wanting a 100-150 gallon stock tank for a sump.
Jebao dcp 15000 for the return pump.
Several heaters of various wattages.
Reef octopus skimmer.
About 70 lbs of baserock that was once live rock.
2 metal halides (don’t know the wattage)

Looks like a nice way to return! Welcome to R2R!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has changed. Many improvements. Great time to be in the hobby on the ease of maintenance and sharing info side of things.

Can tell you the Jebao 15000, or any dc pump for that matter, will not do. Will work fine for 6-12 months, then gph will fall off, way off. Do yourself a favor, do it right the first time and get a hi pressure rated pump like awaki or panworld.

Welcome back

OP
OP
L

LostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has changed. Many improvements. Great time to be in the hobby on the ease of maintenance and sharing info side of things.

Can tell you the Jebao 15000, or any dc pump for that matter, will not do. Will work fine for 6-12 months, then gph will fall off, way off. Do yourself a favor, do it right the first time and get a hi pressure rated pump like awaki or panworld.

Welcome back

I understand it might be a temporary pump... but I had a family member pestering me for a gift and it was in their budget. It I had to get a panworld, the project would have to wait a bit. And if I wait a bit my wife will find a use for that space and then there won’t be room for the tank in the entry way.

I figured if the pump loses flow over time, it will get upgraded and get a use that needs to fight less head pressure. I am also going to set up an aquaponics system in the basement to grow vegetables year round. The pump would be overkill in that system even if it does lose pressure.

Thank you for your help! Do you have any “must read” threads or topics for someone that has 10 years of marine aquarium info to catch up on.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

LostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start making a plan for stocking.

I am getting an Rodi for Christmas tomorrow and need a new bulkhead to finish setting up my overflow drains.

I am more interested in starting into zoos... but it will be in the entryway. Wife and daughter now have gotten excited as the tank has gone up.

Child requirements: a “Nemo” fish.

Wife requests:
firefish
Lemon chromis
Royal gramma
Pajama cardinal
Bicolor blenny

I want light bioload and absolutely reefsafe.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back