10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Acropora florida and a Amakusaplana acroporae(AEFW):)
IMG_5088.JPG
Good ol AEFW.............what do you think stops them from wreaking havoc on your tank? Just healthy acropora and some specific wrasse?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ol AEFW.............what do you think stops them from wreaking havoc on your tank? Just healthy acropora and some specific wrasse?

Yes, I think all other things except for AEFW are pretty good(water, light, flow). Hard to say if the wrasses find the flatworms and eat them, but I hope they do :) Maybe the Orange spotted filefish eats them as well, I don't know.

But it a fine line. If we move Acropora to other tanks or stress them in other ways it sometimes makes the AEFW starts to bloom and take over the coral.
We have done a couple of dips 2014 and 2015 for some of the larger colonies in the tank. Since then I've only dipped smaller colonies in the frag systems connected to the big tank. Right now my plan is to leave it as it is until we start to remove corals from this tank. Then I want to treat all corals.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an experiment we're doing mostly for fun and because we had the equipment ready. In our propagation tank, connected to the same system as the 10000L tank, we have two research LEDs. One are on only red, 660nm and one is 50/50 660nm and 420nm. Both give PAR 90 at the depth of 15cm(where the corals are put).
Under each lamp we put corals and waited 55 days. Some of them were measured (weight) and some just photographed.
We're putting together the results this week.
Looks like some survived and even have grown under only red :)
IMG_4821.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is our latest readings for nutrients and KH. It's been the same for almost 2 months now. We dose a little KNO3 every day since the nitrate was getting too low causing cyano in the smaller tanks in the system. We have a PO4-filter but doesn't have to change the media very often.
So IMO it's working well right now :)
IMG_5132.JPG

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I have come to a conclusion that you should never make your passion your profession, because it has a tendency to take the fun out of it. But looking at what you do at work I'm quite ready to challenge my own principle... [emoji51]
And I guess it's also a difference between being an employee and trying to run a small business for example.

I have a pretty chill and easy Sunday morning, kids are at their mom and I'm sitting sipping coffee at the city's best coffee shop, but if I had your job there's no place I'd rather be than at work haha!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I have come to a conclusion that you should never make your passion your profession, because it has a tendency to take the fun out of it. But looking at what you do at work I'm quite ready to challenge my own principle... [emoji51]
And I guess it's also a difference between being an employee and trying to run a small business for example.

I have a pretty chill and easy Sunday morning, kids are at their mom and I'm sitting sipping coffee at the city's best coffee shop, but if I had your job there's no place I'd rather be than at work haha!

Sound like a nice morning! Coffee here as well, while I prepare shrimps for the cuttlefish and sharks :)

It can be up and down periods but besides the work tasks I also have very nice coworkers. So in all I almost always thinks it's fun to go to work.

Now it's time for 15 minutes guidning, I gonna feed some of the tanks and talk about our animals!

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip for everyone thinking of building a large tank. Try to avoid the "wall". This tank is about 180 cm deep but only 140 cm from the window to the back wall. That means the rockwork has to be very steep. And it won't take long before corals grows and shadows other corals. In this tank it's a couple of quite dark areas in the middle bottom section for example. I would love to get an extra meter to the backwall if that was possible :)

/ David

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I have come to a conclusion that you should never make your passion your profession, because it has a tendency to take the fun out of it.

Its true - I did not have an aquarium at home for more than 16 years - it was enough of fishes att my work!!

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its true - I did not have an aquarium at home for more than 16 years - it was enough of fishes att my work!!

Sincerely Lasse

I moved my corals and fish to work and sold my tank 6 years ago :D

The first corals I got is acually alive and living in our sharktank now. Think I got it back in 2001 or 2002.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sallstrom, I usually set aside time on a sunday to catch up on some reading, usually journals or books. I came across this post on R2R and really glad I did. I enjoyed reading your posts, lots of details and your passion really shines through.

Fascinating for me to see what looks like a (red) horticulture LED,. I think I remember reading an article from Lasse all about this lighting.

I love to visit public aquariums whilst I travel around, especially when the water temp is to cold to get my snorkel out.;Droid I have never visited your country but have made a mental note to visit if the opportunity arises. My brother lives with his wife in Sweden so maybe a good excuse to invite myself over.

When ever I get to chat with a curator of an aquarium I visit, my first questions are always about, Sustainability and Education. I was very pleased to see you talk about the breeding of your cephalopods and your coral aquaculture projects. Having Reef Meets at the aquarium is a wonderful idea. I will keep this in mind when I next get to speak to a public aquarium professional. One of things that comes across in my conversations with professional aquarists like yourself is that like us hobbyists we have so much in common and so much to share.

With regards your visit to the UK. I would highly recommend a visit and chat with Jamie Craggs at the Horniman Museum in London. Specifically with regards to moving your large acro colonies and coral spawning in captivity. He has just completed and published his PhD. I believe it may now be available on Research Gate.

Once again thank you so much for sharing your passion and knowledge. It made for a fascinating and relaxing read.

Best wishes from the UK. Tony Thompson.:)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sallstrom, I usually set aside time on a sunday to catch up on some reading, usually journals or books. I came across this post on R2R and really glad I did. I enjoyed reading your posts, lots of details and your passion really shines through.

Fascinating for me to see what looks like a (red) horticulture LED,. I think I remember reading an article from Lasse all about this lighting.

I love to visit public aquariums whilst I travel around, especially when the water temp is to cold to get my snorkel out.;Droid I have never visited your country but have made a mental note to visit if the opportunity arises. My brother lives with his wife in Sweden so maybe a good excuse to invite myself over.

When ever I get to chat with a curator of an aquarium I visit, my first questions are always about, Sustainability and Education. I was very pleased to see you talk about the breeding of your cephalopods and your coral aquaculture projects. Having Reef Meets at the aquarium is a wonderful idea. I will keep this in mind when I next get to speak to a public aquarium professional. One of things that comes across in my conversations with professional aquarists like yourself is that like us hobbyists we have so much in common and so much to share.

With regards your visit to the UK. I would highly recommend a visit and chat with Jamie Craggs at the Horniman Museum in London. Specifically with regards to moving your large acro colonies and coral spawning in captivity. He has just completed and published his PhD. I believe it may now be available on Research Gate.

Once again thank you so much for sharing your passion and knowledge. It made for a fascinating and relaxing read.

Best wishes from the UK. Tony Thompson.:)

Thank you so much for those kind words! :)

You are more than welcome if you decide to come over to Sweden. Just send a PM first, so I can show you around and have a chat. I read your presentation here at R2R and it's sounds really good. I'm all for sharing knowledge and try to help breeding projects and improve husbandry for all our animals.
Breeding is one thing I want to improve here at the Aquarium. It's hard to find time, but it's mostly about getting routines that works for a long time. I will check out your group on FB!

The Reef Meets is something that I'm really happy about. It's my little side project :) Please do spread that idea, I would love to go to more events like that(without having to arrange them myself ;)). We have also started a meeting for the public aquariums around in Scandinavia. We try to have one meeting a year and do talks about different subjects around aquariums and husbandry. It's been great result, getting to know each other around the public aquarias makes it so much easier to help each other.

About public aquarium staff and hobbyist, IMO many of the best aquarist are hobbyist. For myself, I feel like 50/50 :) I was a hobbyist who started to work with aquariums. Most of what I have learned running aquariums is from hobby forums, not from the University or other public aquariums. That's the reason why I like to share experiences here and at meetings etc.

We met Jaime's coworker at a meeting last year and we have had some email contact with him as well. But we really need to get the there for a visit!

Best regards
David

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the problem one might have would be the opposite in this case: despite the hard work involved, you may never want to go home.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of pictures from today. Now I won't see this tank for five whole days. I will leave it the hands of my colleagues:)
Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg

If you zoom in on the last one you'll see a Hector's goby. It lives in that Sacrophyton :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hectors has 500 litres to play in, always an active little hunter / scavenger, very under rated fish. :)

I really like them too!

And I would love to get more small fish to put in this tank, but its a budget question. "Hey, why don't we buy these small fish that most of the visitors will never see" :D But I order some now and then anyway. The Hector gobies I wanted to get to get more fish down at the sand bottom. They actually were hanging a lot at the sand at first but now they are spread around the tank. :)
We have a Wetmorella sp that I see about five times a year. That's cool I think :)

/ David

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back