10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David ... I wished I had the time but as you would have imagined I’m outnumbered by three ladies of my family!

Presently in Stockholm’s Globen shopping mall while waiting for the ladies to do their shopping. Will depart for Iceland tomorrow for the next 6 days.

Oh yeah I saw the Copenhagen’s Blue Planet stop while on the train ...

Unfortunately Malmö was day trip by train from Copenhagen...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David ... I wished I had the time but as you would have imagined I’m outnumbered by three ladies of my family!

Presently in Stockholm’s Globen shopping mall while waiting for the ladies to do their shopping. Will depart for Iceland tomorrow for the next 6 days.

Oh yeah I saw the Copenhagen’s Blue Planet stop while on the train ...

Unfortunately Malmö was day trip by train from Copenhagen...

Haha :) Okey, that's not an easy position. Glad you came to Sweden during this nice May, usually it's not this warm and sunny!

Have a good time on Iceland! I liked Reykjavik a lot. It's small but the people were nice and the pubs were cozy. Might be cold on Iceland though:)

/ David

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is becoming one of my favorite threads!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is becoming one of my favorite threads!

I'm honoured. Thank you :)

This 10000L reef just turned 4 years old by the way! No signs of old tank syndrome so far, maybe some signs of a lazy aquarist.. (corals really needs to be trimmed now..) ;)

/ David

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks David!

In fact we did pass through Gothenburg via the Seabreeze ferry which took 16 hours from Oslo to Copenhagen.

Will depart for Iceland @ 3:50pm later today. Get our rental drive & stock up on food & snacks for next day’s road trip starting from Skogafoss all the way to Diamond Beach.

We’re like 9 minutes drive from downtown Reykjavik.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks David!

In fact we did pass through Gothenburg via the Seabreeze ferry which took 16 hours from Oslo to Copenhagen.

Will depart for Iceland @ 3:50pm later today. Get our rental drive & stock up on food & snacks for next day’s road trip starting from Skogafoss all the way to Diamond Beach.

We’re like 9 minutes drive from downtown Reykjavik.

Oh, nice! Did you just pass by outside Gothenburg or did you go in to the port?

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the status for this tank nowadays, been qiute stable the last months.

NO3 - 3ppm (we started adding KNO3 when we got cyano in the frag tanks, raised the NO3 from near 0 to 3 in 2 months. Cyano is gone now)
PO4 - oppm (With Hanna LR - We usually get 0,04-0,06 on the Triton tests. So we have a filter with Fe-based remover running)
KH - 6,1 - 6,7 (Trying to get it up but the calcium reactor is soon on overdrive :D - Started dosing some Core7 to help out the reactor)
Temp 26,5-27,5 (Summertime in Sweden, old building(no AC) and lots of MH-lights. Unplugging some if temp goes up further)
Ca and Mg are around 440 resp 1300 ppm (Raised the Ca with CaCl last month, is needed maybe once a year to take Ca 400 -> 440 ppm)

And we are green on all parameters in the Triton Test except one I think :)

This is what we added to the tank this month(between to Triton tests):
Br - 350ml
Mo - 650ml
Fe - 65ml
V - 45ml
Ni - 500ml

Everyday dosing:
I - 7ml
B - 40ml
Zn - 4ml
Mn - 40ml

With calcium reactor + Core7 I've stopped our auto dosing of B and Zn. Needed the dosingpumps to Core7, and I think there are some B and Zn in the Core7. We will see on the next test.

Corals are growing well. Algae are growing well(where they are suppost to grow). So there are no big news for this tank. It just turned 4 years and seems to be doing fine.

What I want to try soon is the start more feeding in a 500L frag tank connected to this large system. We are dosing EasyBooster now in the display tank (in the night). I want to try both EasyBooster(4 species of phytoplankton algae) together with the Cyanobacteria Synechococcus(the most common phytoplankton on a reef). Maybe some live Nannochloropsis as well. Keep the frag tank as it is now, with okey light(100-250 PAR) and mostly Acropora frags. But add some filterfeeders like Dendronepthya and clams. Thoughts? :)

This is something I hope we can do in the new aquarium, connect smaller tanks to a large system, and feed a lot to keep non-photosyntetic corals. Instead of changing a lot of water, the large system provide new good quality water and take care of the leftover from the small tanks. This is how we have managed the cuttlefish breeding.

I will take some more photo or vids this weekend, my time to work weekend!

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys, zoas and gsp grown up the back glass, got a pic of it please? ;)
What do you mean? We should grow more palys, zoas and gsp? Naah, we have some palys together with some other poisnonous animals, but I don't want them to spread. I want to know where they are.. ;) Stony corals are much easier to keep track of :D

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that red monti plate, I could set up a whole tank for just that coral! :)

Yes, we got that(saved it) from the other public aquarium in Gothenburg Universeum 5 years ago. I thought it was big then, it was maybe around 40cm. Now it's huge :) But I acually think it would have been even larger if the flow wasn't that high. Now I think it is really dense and thick. It hasn't grown that fast in diameter size. It won't be easy to move it from this tank :D

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic from the middle part the 2000 litre SPS tank at the museum. Did a pretty big "clean up" in this area about 2 years ago, took out a huge S. hystrix colony which grew from the bottom up the the surface(just the upper 10cm where alive, the rest was homegrown live rock). I put in as many species as I could find at the time in our frag tanks, and after that I have hardly changed a bit. Really like it when the corals get some time to grow :)

IMG_5476.JPG

Now it's probably time to do some spring "cleaning" again. Or maybe just wait for a couple of more months:D

Ps
The light is a bit yellow. Not happy with those MH bulbs..

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man,
Here's a pic from the middle part the 2000 litre SPS tank at the museum. Did a pretty big "clean up" in this area about 2 years ago, took out a huge S. hystrix colony which grew from the bottom up the the surface(just the upper 10cm where alive, the rest was homegrown live rock). I put in as many species as I could find at the time in our frag tanks, and after that I have hardly changed a bit. Really like it when the corals get some time to grow :)

IMG_5476.JPG

Now it's probably time to do some spring "cleaning" again. Or maybe just wait for a couple of more months:D

Ps
The light is a bit yellow. Not happy with those MH bulbs..
I'm jealous. You must have a green thumb at this. LOL

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back