Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning routine - check!
IMG_5523.JPG

And new(old) dosing pumps for the Dendronephtya/frag tank. Hope to get them to work with some help from @Lasse tomorrow.
IMG_5517.JPG

Love the tank, the only thing missing is a coral carousel. LOL

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, you work there? Or contracted. Must be nice. I knew you were very important person but you work with Sallstrom. Nice.

Thank you - but I´m not so important but in some way I know how to talk and write like I am that :)

I´m retired and can work with the things I like and when I do it.

The maritim museum its a part of Gothenburg´s soul. As a fish nerd of 20 moving in to the bright city in the beginning of 70:ties and living (at that time) 400 m from this icon of Gothenburg - it this has always been my dream to work there. My way to finally been able to do that has been long and curvy but today - more than 45 years later - my knowledge is enough to make differences (sometimes) and I have the time. My main task is to make the automation to work and handle three GHL networks. I also in some way work as a ball plank to Sallstrom and the others - they throws straight balls at me and get them back as curve balls :) - a Swedish way of expression but it means that I´m in some way works as a talking partner just to throw general ideas on. Sometimes they get back useful experiences - sometimes not so useful :)

In Gothenburg - there is another public Aquaria with a shark tank of 1400 cubic meters (yes i have been working there too :) ) but if you are a real citizen of Gothenburg - there can only be one public aquaria of your soul :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - but I´m not so important but in some way I know how to talk and write like I am that :)

The maritim museum its a part of Gothenburg´s soul. As a fish nerd of 20 moving in to the bright city in the beginning of 70:ties and living (at that time) 400 m from this icon of Gothenburg - it this has always been my dream to work there. My way to finally been able to do that has been long and curvy but today - more than 45 years later - my knowledge is enough to make differences (sometimes) and I have the time. My main task is to make the automation to work and handle three GHL networks. I also in some way work as a ball plank to Sallstrom and the others - they throws straight balls at me and get them back as curve balls :) - a Swedish way of expression but it means that I´m in some way works as a talking partner just to throw general ideas on. Sometimes they get back useful experiences - sometimes not so useful :)

In Gothenburg - there is another public Aquaria with a shark tank of 1400 cubic meters (yes i have been working there too :) ) but if you are a real citizen of Gothenburg - there can only be one public aquaria of your soul :)

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks for that info. The way you speak, you make me want to visit Sweden. I told Sallstrom, I had a friend (loss contact) he meet a woman from Holland , she returned to Holland , he followed . They got married and lived in Holland. He was Mexican.
Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, you work there? Or contracted. Must be nice. I knew you were very important person but you work with Sallstrom. Nice.
Lasse is our

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse is an authorithy when it comes to both freshwater and saltwater tanks in Sweden. He achieved the Swedish prize "the aquarium Oscar" not long ago :)
I was lucky to get to know him when I started to work at Sjöfartsmuset Akvariet and also when I was a substitute at Universeum(the other public aquarium in Gothenburg). This was about ten years ago, and he has been a priceless source of knowledge for me since then.

Right now I'm "under the influence".. I'll be back tomorrow :)

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse is our

Lasse is an authorithy when it comes to both freshwater and saltwater tanks in Sweden. He achieved the Swedish prize "the aquarium Oscar" not long ago :)
I was lucky to get to know him when I started to work at Sjöfartsmuset Akvariet and also when I was a substitute at Universeum(the other public aquarium in Gothenburg). This was about ten years ago, and he has been a priceless source of knowledge for me since then.

Right now I'm "under the influence".. I'll be back tomorrow :)

/ David

Alright, see you all tomorrow, have fun.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned earlier we have a really really warm May here in Sweden, specially along the west coast. Today Gothenburg had over 31 degrees!
The museum was built in 1933 and does not really work perfectly in warm weather:)
So at the moment we're working hard trying to keep the temperature in our tropical tanks below 29 degrees. We do have chillers but since we can't get the warm air from the chillers out of the building, they warm up the air inside too much. The chillers for the cold water system is of course running as usual.
So instead we switch off more and more lamps, mostly the metal halides which produces a lot of heat. The last two days the three 1000W metal halides over the 10000L tank has been turned off. We'll see how it goes. So far we only lost one colony(not in this tank), but maybe it wasn't just the heat.
We have also put some ice in the seahorse tank :)

Here is the tank without 3 x 1000W MH lamps.

IMG_5530.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experiment with Dendronephtya is coming closer. Now all we need is the corals. They were supposed to come yesterday, but instead they'll come next week sometime.
The dosing pumps are now up and running. Thank you @Lasse for the help!
Just to start slow(there are a lot of other corals in this tank) I've started dosing the following:
Easybooster (concentrated algae, 4 species) - 10ml/day
Synechococcus(live Cyanobacteria) - 200ml/day
Ethanol 5% - 20ml/day
Live phyto (probably Nanno..) - 1000ml/day
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG

The other corals seems to like the extra food :)

IMG_5531.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water parameters in the system is:
NO3 - 2,5ppm (Salifert) - (We're dosing KNO3 bacause we had some cyano in the frag tanks)
PO4 - 0,03 (triton)
KH - 7,3 (Salifert)
Temp - 26,5-27,5 C
pH - 8,0-8,2 (GHL)

All the other parameters from our last Triton ICP test can be found in the post from this monday :)

My plan is to keep the N och P at this levels even with all the extra feeding of the corals. I don't think it's gonna be a problem, we have a lot of consumption of N och P right now and been dosing KNO3 for a while.

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 - 2,5ppm (Salifert) - (We're dosing KNO3 bacause we had some cyano in the frag tanks)
PO4 - 0,03 (triton)
KH - 7,3 (Salifert)
Temp - 26,5-27,5 C
pH - 8,0-8,2 (GHL)

All the other parameters from our last Triton ICP test can be found in the post from this monday :)

My plan is to keep the N och P at this levels even with all the extra feeding of the corals. I don't think it's gonna be a problem, we have a lot of consumption of N och P right now and been dosing KNO3 for a while.

/ David
PO4 - 0,03 (triton)
KH - 7,3 (Salifert)
Temp - 26,5-27,5 C
pH - 8,0-8,2 (GHL)

/ David

Nice, thanks for that info. Hope all goes well. Let us know where you get the Synechococcus(live Cyanobacteria), if they sell to end users. I can't find it in the net. Moment of truth soon. Keep us posted. Also forgot to mention the last video you made and edited was great. Thanks again . Man, I wish I lived in Sweden. LOL

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, thanks for that info. Hope all goes well. Let us know where you get the Synechococcus(live Cyanobacteria), if they sell to end users. I can't find it in the net. Moment of truth soon. Keep us posted. Also forgot to mention the last video you made and edited was great. Thanks again . Man, I wish I lived in Sweden. LOL
Thanks! :)

We bought the cyanobacteria from the German company Plankton plus (https://www.planktonplus.de/). Looks like everyone can order on their site, but not sure if they ship outside Europe.
Send them an email and ask. They've been very helpful to me.

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experiment with Dendronephtya is coming closer. Now all we need is the corals. They were supposed to come yesterday, but instead they'll come next week sometime.
The dosing pumps are now up and running. Thank you @Lasse for the help!
Just to start slow(there are a lot of other corals in this tank) I've started dosing the following:
Easybooster (concentrated algae, 4 species) - 10ml/day
Synechococcus(live Cyanobacteria) - 200ml/day
Ethanol 5% - 20ml/day
Live phyto (probably Nanno..) - 1000ml/day
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG

The other corals seems to like the extra food :)

IMG_5531.JPG
Emailed planktonplus. We'll see. Thanks a million

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owe you a baby dendronephthya, someday. LOL
Haha, thanks! That would be great with tank raised Dendronephtya.
We are all in this togheter trying to find the best possible husbandry for the animals we keep :)

/ David

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 55 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back