OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new year for this coral tank. The last year! In September we will close the museum/aquarium since we are going to rebuild the whole builing. And we will construct a new building for the new Aquarium! This work will take about 3 years and during that time we will have to move all the corals and the fish(the ones we'll keep) to a smaller room in our building. There we will set up smaller tanks for the corals, and hopefully after 3 years we will have a lot of corals to move into the new Aquarium :)

The last weeks has given us some extra work due to 2 failing pumps, one skimmer pump and the retur pump. And the power went down in our sump room. This happened at midnight of course, and somehow the alarm didn't work(or we couldn't see anything wrong when the alarm went off). So the water level was 3 cm lower then usual for about 6 hours in the main tank and the tips of some corals died(when the returpump was off). One interesting thing about this was to see what kind of corals who died and what kind who survived. Like we have seen before the Seriatopora species didn't do well and the most of the Acroporas survived. The Stylopora also died. But again, only the tips of the corals, so this failure didn't do much for the whole tank. The water movement was on in the tank etc.

Another thing we see in this system is the difference in the main tank and the 3 smaller tanks connected to the same sump. The nutrients are low at the moment, both NO3 and PO4 are close to 0 when we meassure. I've seen it coming the last months and I wanted to see if we would get cyano or not when the nitrate got really low. In the main tank there is almost no cyano at all. In the smaller tanks(600-1800 L) it has increased. My guess is that it's caused by higher turn over rate (tank - sump) in the smaller tanks and lesser fish there. It's too "clean". But the corals still do fine.

Yes, and a happy new year to all here at R2R!

/ David

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new year for this coral tank. The last year! In September we will close the museum/aquarium since we are going to rebuild the whole builing. And we will construct a new building for the new Aquarium! This work will take about 3 years and during that time we will have to move all the corals and the fish(the ones we'll keep) to a smaller room in our building. There we will set up smaller tanks for the corals, and hopefully after 3 years we will have a lot of corals to move into the new Aquarium :)

The last weeks has given us some extra work due to 2 failing pumps, one skimmer pump and the retur pump. And the power went down in our sump room. This happened at midnight of course, and somehow the alarm didn't work(or we couldn't see anything wrong when the alarm went off). So the water level was 3 cm lower then usual for about 6 hours in the main tank and the tips of some corals died(when the returpump was off). One interesting thing about this was to see what kind of corals who died and what kind who survived. Like we have seen before the Seriatopora species didn't do well and the most of the Acroporas survived. The Stylopora also died. But again, only the tips of the corals, so this failure didn't do much for the whole tank. The water movement was on in the tank etc.

Another thing we see in this system is the difference in the main tank and the 3 smaller tanks connected to the same sump. The nutrients are low at the moment, both NO3 and PO4 are close to 0 when we meassure. I've seen it coming the last months and I wanted to see if we would get cyano or not when the nitrate got really low. In the main tank there is almost no cyano at all. In the smaller tanks(600-1800 L) it has increased. My guess is that it's caused by higher turn over rate (tank - sump) in the smaller tanks and lesser fish there. It's too "clean". But the corals still do fine.

Yes, and a happy new year to all here at R2R!

/ David

Exciting with the new building and new Aquarium!! Do you have any new exciting plans for that? Will it be of similar size?

Sorry about the pump failures and die off. Only good thing about failures is that we hopefully learn something from them.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting with the new building and new Aquarium!! Do you have any new exciting plans for that? Will it be of similar size?

Sorry about the pump failures and die off. Only good thing about failures is that we hopefully learn something from them.

Yes, it's very exciting :)

The exhibit/Aquarium will be larger then our present one, so there will be at least 3 large tanks. Right now we are planning for a 450 000 L coral tank, a 60 000 L west coast tank and a 20 000 L live kelp tank. But we havn't got an architect yet, so this is only the Aquarium staff's plan :) And of course we will have smaller tanks as well, so we can exhibit lots of marine habitats from around the world.

/ David

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's very exciting :)

The exhibit/Aquarium will be larger then our present one, so there will be at least 3 large tanks. Right now we are planning for a 450 000 L coral tank, a 60 000 L west coast tank and a 20 000 L live kelp tank. But we havn't got an architect yet, so this is only the Aquarium staff's plan :) And of course we will have smaller tanks as well, so we can exhibit lots of marine habitats from around the world.

/ David

Wow, that sounds amazing! :) Kind of wish that I'd be a normal architect instead of a landscape architect right now, then I would gladly offer you my services. Payment in frags! :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures :)

Snapseed.jpeg

In this part of the tank it's hard to see the rocks under the corals :D

IMG_4666.JPG

The same part from the top.

IMG_4689.JPG

Evening in the tank.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have the Jebao pumps held up!

I really like the jebao stream pumps, they can make great standing waves. Unfortunately they often break. We have quite a few and some works longer then others.

/ David

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a common problem. To bad they can’t make them to last a bit

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! Keep up the good work David!!

un acuario muy chulo

Thank you/ Gracias!

It's a lot of other things going on at work now so I don't take that many pictures nowadays. But I do see this tank almost every day and do all the regular maintenance together with my coworkers, so the tank lives on! Waitning for the ICP test results from Triton lab now, maybe could post them when it comes.

But feel free to ask if you would like to know more about the tank and the maintenance :)

/ David

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is amazing, im interested to see how the break down will go? do you have plans for all the super colonies within the tank?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is amazing, im interested to see how the break down will go? do you have plans for all the super colonies within the tank?

As above, I was wondering how you were going to store the corals you keep?

We will cut them down :) Sounds really tragic but first of all the focus is on the new reef which will be up and running 2020-2021. So our plan is to make ca 5 cm frags and sort them in smaller tanks. During this time my dream is to get rid of all AEFW and some other stuff we have now. If everything goes well we will have a lot of 10-15 cm colonies to place in the new tank.
I have had some bad experiences moving large colonies of Acropora from one tank to another, so IMO it might increase the survival rate to move around smaller/medium colonies instead of large ones(30 cm and larger).

Personally I want to keep a couple of large Acropora colonies to try to get some of them to spawn. But that depends on if we can fit some of our old larger tanks(2-3000 L) into the temporary facilities. We will see :)

Our evacuation from the present Aquarium to the temporary is something we will plan more the coming months, so there are a lot of things which are not decided yet. But I will try to keep you updated :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some more coral reef habitats here at Sjöfartsmuseet Akvariet :)

Here is five tanks in our tropical room. It's 3 1000L, one 2500L and one 2000L. Most of the corals in the 10000L reef is from the long 2000 litres tank. That's where we started with SPS for about 8-10 years ago.
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
IMG_4620.JPG
IMG_4615.JPG

And since we needed more space to put corals we also switched a 26000 litre tank into a reef. In that tank we also have some bamboo sharks.
IMG_4690.JPG
IMG_3932.JPG
IMG_3934.JPG

In this tank we also try out some larger LEDs. Not the best result so far but the corals have started to grow a little.

So there will be a lot of corals to move to the temporary aquariums :D

/ David

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amaxing tank thanks for sharing. I had a couple of trips to gothenburg last year I wish I visited.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amaxing tank thanks for sharing. I had a couple of trips to gothenburg last year I wish I visited.

Okey! If you're coming to Gothenburg again and want to visit, send me a PM and I can show you around in the Aquarium :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the results from Triton labs ICP-test. We send in water samples about 8 times a year to test and have done so from the start of this tank. I have never posted a pdf here before, hopefully I'll figure out how to do it right :)

I'm pretty happy with the results :) Some smaller things to adjust, like calcium, but overall it looks good I think. Although the goal is to have them all green.. ;)

/ David

Attachments

• 25 NKR 2 jan 18.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be allowed to sell off frags during construction maybe? ;)

Nope, won't sell any corals or fish. We do trade and give away to other public aquarias though. Sometimes swop with hobby aquarists as well :)
But if we swop it's mostly to get in new species of coral since we don't buy corals that often.

/ David

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back