10g Waterbox build

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm recently back into reefing after about a two-year break. Here is my 10 gallon all-in-one from Waterbox. I really love the clean lines of the tank. It truly looks like a box of water on my stand.

IMG_2729.jpg

Hardware:
Kessil A80 on their gooseneck mount
Finnex 100w heater
Apex with temp and ph probes
Tunze Osmolator 3155
Aqua Gadget 5 gal ATO resevoir
Glass lid cut custom from local company

Filtration:
2.75" filter sock
MarinePure ceramic biomedia
Man-made rock with some established Coralline algea
Live sand

Inhabitants (so far):
Pair of Clowns
Starry Blenny
Emerald Crab
Assorted snails and hermits
Cleaner shrimp
Six LPS frags from LFS to mount

The tank has been up and running for about a month with just the cleaner shrimp. This weekend I decided to get him some friends.

I would love to hear from others that have the Waterbox or something similar:

1. Are you using the bioballs and carbon?
2. Did you swap out the filter sock for filter floss?
3. Have you thought of any way to incorporate Chaeto? HOB? Reactor?

I had one near-disaster with my original ATO setup. The lid pushed the hose into the water and created a siphon. Overfilled the little ATO clinch pinch gallon container I was using.

Last edited:

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear from others that have the Waterbox or something similar:

I had one near-disaster with my original ATO setup. The lid pushed the hose into the water and created a siphon. Overfilled the little ATO clinch pinch gallon container I was using.
looking good so far

unfortunately I can't speak from experience with a waterbox system but in AIO's I've seen at my LFS we have 1. not used bioballs just a media block.
2. I don't remember seeing a filter wool while it was running but I do remember taking out filter wool when we took it apart (not 100% sure)
3. we had some in the sump but it wasn't looking great

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited for you. This looks awesome! I had a tough time with my osmolator. The float kept getting stuck. I hope yours is trouble free. Congrats!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Waterbox is similar to the Innovative marine 10G tank so when looking for comparisons you can do allot of the same things they do.

No one really uses Bio Balls anymore. Lots of folks have switched to some form of Bio media or just use reef rock. They have far greater surface area than the old plastic Bio Balls.

Presently I have two socks in my IM10 and I just swap the two I have every other day. Always have one clean and ready.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited for you. This looks awesome! I had a tough time with my osmolator. The float kept getting stuck. I hope yours is trouble free. Congrats!
Interesting comment. I noticed that the float was sticking a little bit, but discovered it was contacting the return pump hose. I shifted it off to the side and it is working well. Which Osmolator did you have? Did you have the 3155 or 3152? The 3155 comes with the optical sensor for wet/dry and the float is the alarm. The 3152 just has the float.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Waterbox is similar to the Innovative marine 10G tank so when looking for comparisons you can do allot of the same things they do.

No one really uses Bio Balls anymore. Lots of folks have switched to some form of Bio media or just use reef rock. They have far greater surface area than the old plastic Bio Balls.

Presently I have two socks in my IM10 and I just swap the two I have every other day. Always have one clean and ready.
That is helpful, thanks. I will search for the Innovative Marine tank. Curious: what do you do to clean the socks? I just ordered two more, and I thought I would just throw all three in the washing machine on the quick wash setting with no detergent every three weeks.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting comment. I noticed that the float was sticking a little bit, but discovered it was contacting the return pump hose. I shifted it off to the side and it is working well. Which Osmolator did you have? Did you have the 3155 or 3152? The 3155 comes with the optical sensor for wet/dry and the float is the alarm. The 3152 just has the float.

I just had the single float. I boxed it up and it’s sitting in my closet. I’m using an XPAqua Duetto now and love it.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: Based on reading done on the R2R forums, I have put a filter bag with activated charcoal in both my tanks where it should get some good flow. Hopefully that will keep away the yellowing of the water and help me keep things even more clean. I also ordered two more filter socks to keep them rotating and the water clean.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so i was debating betting a waterbox, or a IM nuvo, and i ended up with the nuvo. but i don't recall why :D
but the tanks are very similar.

- i am running neither bioballs nor carbon. if i ever have a requirement for carbon, i will either run purigen or poly-filter pad. i like them much better than dusty carbon.

- i will run the filter socks when needed. i may stuff some floss in them to see if that extends their lifespan.

- no, i will try to control nutients with either water changes, if they get out of hand. other than that, i like me some PO4 and NO3 in my tanks.

good luck and have fun with the new tank!

J.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- i am running neither bioballs nor carbon. if i ever have a requirement for carbon, i will either run purigen or poly-filter pad. i like them much better than dusty carbon.
Thanks for the info. I have not heard of these options and I will research them. I had some carbon laying around from a previous tank (possible hoarder?). Maybe once that runs out I will look into these other products.

Charlie117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured i share my set up considering i dont see a lot of people opt for the waterbox over the IM I have a 10g water box and love it. I have an AI prime running on BRS AB+ spectrum. My advise on the filtration. I use the included filter sock and change it once a week when i do my water change (50%), then i made a little table with egg crate which my chemipure blue sits so it doesn't block the bottom of the baffle. In the second chamber i filled it to the top with Marine pure balls and then I just have a ehiem heater and stock return pump in the back. The ATO is a life saver so good call on that. I have a couple zoanthids, birdnest and a torch coral all thriving along with the two clowns I have, water parameters are near perfect and the tank has been rock soild stable.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back