110g tank livestock questions

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium will have 110g display and total 140g water. As I mentioned in some of the previous posts I am doing this both for myself and for my young son. He loves colorful stuff so that is what I want to do with the livestock but need some help.

I wrote down the following for starters:

clownfish x2
yellow tang x1
yellow watchman goby x1
lawnmower blenny x1

Now the real question is what would come after these. I would LOVE to have a blue hippo but the 5 feet tank length might be an issue in the long run as well as the yellow tang. For its orange/red color I was thinking of flame angel or would that not work?

How about CUC? What should I get for things that are reef safe?

Appreciate all the help!

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel would be fine, might eat some coral so just be aware of the risk.

Blue hippo would be fine for a couple years if you get it small imo but also be vigilant with both ich and making sure it doesnt seem like the tank is too small for it as it grows.

Other fish: id look at some wrasses. yellow coris is a great option as well as other melanarus. Flasher/fairy wrasses are also gorgeous and im sure your son would love them as well as they have some crazy colors and fins

OP
OP
Daenion

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel would be fine, might eat some coral so just be aware of the risk.

Blue hippo would be fine for a couple years if you get it small imo but also be vigilant with both ich and making sure it doesnt seem like the tank is too small for it as it grows.

Other fish: id look at some wrasses. yellow coris is a great option as well as other melanarus. Flasher/fairy wrasses are also gorgeous and im sure your son would love them as well as they have some crazy colors and fins
Thank you very much for the information. I thought Flame Angel only picked on corals if it was underfed but I guess not.

How many total fish would you do for this aquarium?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the information. I thought Flame Angel only picked on corals if it was underfed but I guess not.

really depends on the fish you choose and what your filtration/water quality habits are lol

I would do:
clownfish x2
yellow tang x1
yellow watchman goby x1
lawnmower blenny x1

baby hippo tang (with everything i said in mind)
yellow coris wrasse
some kind of fairy/flasher wrasse)
dwarf angel

could always add some kinda cardinal/chalk bass as well

that would be a heavy load and make sure you increase the bioload slowly and make sure you give the tank time to adjust/respond before adding more.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium will have 110g display and total 140g water. As I mentioned in some of the previous posts I am doing this both for myself and for my young son. He loves colorful stuff so that is what I want to do with the livestock but need some help.

I wrote down the following for starters:

clownfish x2
yellow tang x1
yellow watchman goby x1
lawnmower blenny x1

Now the real question is what would come after these. I would LOVE to have a blue hippo but the 5 feet tank length might be an issue in the long run as well as the yellow tang. For its orange/red color I was thinking of flame angel or would that not work?

How about CUC? What should I get for things that are reef safe?

Appreciate all the help!
IMHO, a yellow tang may be a bit big, aggressive and active in the long run. If you have a sand bed look into Halichoeres leucoxanthus and Halichoeres chrysus.
Another recommendation is Halichoeres iridis, labelled as Expert only due to their shipping issues (Getting them past shipping is a nightmare so it’s best to get these from a good shipping store if buying online). I’d also look into Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, the Indonesian variant is often preferred however I find both are stunning as I own both variants.
Also look into the Paracheilinus genus as mentioned above, Paracheilinus attenuatus is a stunner and really worth all the money. Also if you don’t mind having to keep an eye on a certain fish then I’d recommend a foxface rabbitfish as they stay smaller, I prefer the magnificent as it’s unusual in colouration. The only issue with Siganids are their venomous spines however it’s highly unlikely you’ll get stung unless you put full pressure onto them or corner the fish.

if I remember correctly it’s a 4’x2’x2’ so I have 11 fish total in my tank but I know someone who has about 30 fish in a 3’ tank. It all depends on what species you want and where they’ll hang out, I have 9 fish in my RS Max Nano however 6 of them are gobies and 2 are wrasses with 1 blenny so they’re all relatively peaceful.
Why go with one wrasse when you can have a whole bunch! I have 7 total currently, 2 are going into my 4’ eventually which will have the tank at around 13 fish. I would ditch the whole idea of a Blue Tang as why get a fish if you’re just going to get rid of it eventually. Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus has a stunning blue colour, same with the Indonesian Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. Flame angels are rather aggressive once they’re established and also as said above they will nip at fleshy LPS coral.
As for a tang, look into the genus Ctenochaetus. I’d recommend C. binotatus as they go through a ton of colours throughout the day.

For more information don’t be afraid to PM me or @ me in this :)
I’ll be happy to help.

OP
OP
Daenion

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, a yellow tang may be a bit big, aggressive and active in the long run. If you have a sand bed look into Halichoeres leucoxanthus and Halichoeres chrysus.
Another recommendation is Halichoeres iridis, labelled as Expert only due to their shipping issues (Getting them past shipping is a nightmare so it’s best to get these from a good shipping store if buying online). I’d also look into Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, the Indonesian variant is often preferred however I find both are stunning as I own both variants.
Also look into the Paracheilinus genus as mentioned above, Paracheilinus attenuatus is a stunner and really worth all the money. Also if you don’t mind having to keep an eye on a certain fish then I’d recommend a foxface rabbitfish as they stay smaller, I prefer the magnificent as it’s unusual in colouration. The only issue with Siganids are their venomous spines however it’s highly unlikely you’ll get stung unless you put full pressure onto them or corner the fish.

if I remember correctly it’s a 4’x2’x2’ so I have 11 fish total in my tank but I know someone who has about 30 fish in a 3’ tank. It all depends on what species you want and where they’ll hang out, I have 9 fish in my RS Max Nano however 6 of them are gobies and 2 are wrasses with 1 blenny so they’re all relatively peaceful.
Why go with one wrasse when you can have a whole bunch! I have 7 total currently, 2 are going into my 4’ eventually which will have the tank at around 13 fish. I would ditch the whole idea of a Blue Tang as why get a fish if you’re just going to get rid of it eventually. Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus has a stunning blue colour, same with the Indonesian Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. Flame angels are rather aggressive once they’re established and also as said above they will nip at fleshy LPS coral.
As for a tang, look into the genus Ctenochaetus. I’d recommend C. binotatus as they go through a ton of colours throughout the day.

For more information don’t be afraid to PM me or @ me in this :)
I’ll be happy to help.
Hey there! Thank you very much for the detailed response.

The aquarium is roughly 5x2x2. Main reason I went with this was the 5 feet length.

I was thinking about subbing the yellow tang with a foxface or just having a foxface in addition. I want to make sure I got the livestock that would serve a purpose as well. I know there will be some swimming over the rainbow bridge but would love that number to be low.

What would you do with the cleaning crew? What is a good setup for those fellas

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Thank you very much for the detailed response.

The aquarium is roughly 5x2x2. Main reason I went with this was the 5 feet length.

I was thinking about subbing the yellow tang with a foxface or just having a foxface in addition. I want to make sure I got the livestock that would serve a purpose as well. I know there will be some swimming over the rainbow bridge but would love that number to be low.

What would you do with the cleaning crew? What is a good setup for those fellas
I personally have Halichoeres wrasses Chelmon rostratus and my Siganus magnificus along with my Ctenochaetus binotatus as my CUC fish. The rest are all decorative and colourful.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biota yellow tang in my 4x2 foot tank, and it's doing awesome and is behaving great. Obviously, I'll watch it to make sure that it doesn't become aggressive or start swimming behaviors like pacing as it grows to full size, but I'm planning on keeping it long-term. Therefore, I'm confident that yellow tang in your 5x2 foot tank would be just fine long term also.

As far as other suggestions, I have a flame angel, and it's one of my favorite fish. Absolutely stunning, and active as can be. That said, all dwarf angels are a complete roll of the dice when it comes to nipping LPS corals. Mine has been fine so far, but that could change.

I would second the previous suggestion of a Halichoeres wrasse of some type. They are gorgeous fish, very graceful swimmers, and are typically good for pest control as well.

I also love my two fairy wrasses. I have a splendid pintail and an exquisite. The don't have as much personality as some of the other fishes in my tank, but their colors are simply gorgeous, and fairy wrasses come in huge variety of colors.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back