OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you get whatever your friends/family have so that you can swap lenses. If your friends/family don't have either a Cannon or a Nikon DSLR, get which fits you best.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you get whatever your friends/family have so that you can swap lenses. If your friends/family don't have either a Cannon or a Nikon DSLR, get which fits you best.
Thanks Ryan. My family doesn't own a camera like any of these, just simple point and shoot with zoom. Just tired of the cell pics and quality of my pics for my hobby. You'll definitely know if 8 get one cause I'll be needing help.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's no problem at all. It took us a little while to learn how to use ours but the best bet is to shoot in RAW format and then find software to edit them. I didn't edit our photos at all except to shrink them from 12Mb down to 3Mb so that I could post them on the site.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, how's the tank? I see your hunting a trap, who's being evicted? Lol.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are ok. My hammer is all upset because the clowns are so destructive. Already lost one branch with four heads on it due to them and about to lose the same again. I want them out. Love them but they are too destructive.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are ok. My hammer is all upset because the clowns are so destructive. Already lost one branch with four heads on it due to them and about to lose the same again. I want them out. Love them but they are too destructive.
Been there bud! Went back to a nem after my guys tried killing my frogspawn. Good luck with the catch.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rob and Brad. Sounds like I'll have the trap early this week so hopefully the eviction will be complete by this time next week.

Rob, you want me to bring you the clowns? Lol

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October Update

Haven't updated the thread lately but I thought today would be a good day to.

I hate to admit it but I've been battling AEFW for the past month or so. Thanks to a couple of MTRC members for coming over and helping me identify the problem. Luckily it was caught before it was a major outbreak. So, all the acro colonies and frags had the bases cut, corals inspected, scraped of eggs, and dipped on week one. Numerous AEFW found, I'd say 50+. So far I've dipped 4 weeks in a row and the AEFW are far less each week and the corals that made it through so far are looking better and better. Yes, I've lost some, but nothing too major and nothing worth giving up the hobby over. I also started dosing KZ flatworm stop and the coral booster that they offer. This stuff doesn't say it kills flatworms, but it does state the formula helps the acros create a slime coat that the AEFW do not like and cannot eat through, which really helps the defense of the coral. The plan is to dip all corals and frags for at least 6 weeks or for at least 2 weeks past when I don't see any more AEFW. I've got it down to a science now of dipping in Baer for 5-10 minutes, moving to one rinse bucket, and moving to a final rinse bucket after that before returning to the tank. Hopefully the madness will be over soon and I can get the frags glued back on the rocks and get back to watching things grow in.

Now onto the fun stuff!!!

Caught the gold stripped maroon clowns as they were a little too rambunctious for my liking. Love the fish, they were just so destructive and took over my tank. Luckily a local club member wanted them and they look great in his tank. they were super easy to catch, the trap was in the tank less than 24 hours. The pictures don't do justice but the female is all of 4-4.5".
IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2184.jpg

MTRC visited Sustainable Aquatics and my goal was to come back with a pair of Naked Clowns. I was successful and super happy with my purchase. Here is a photo of the parents which are about 8 years old.

N. Clowns.jpg

The pair I ended up with are about 10 months old and are almost 2 inches in length. Almost as big as their parents already. Can't wait to get some photos up of them in the next few days. I have yet to see them in my tank with the lights on.

I also added a 3.5-4" Niger Trigger that I picked up at SA's division called Sustainable Islands. He is super fat and was super active in the tank that I got him out of. Hope to get some photos up of him as well.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the hard work against the AEFW, it'll pay off.

Those naked clowns are sweet!

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the AEFW is on the way out!

Those clowns and the trigger are going to be awesome. The Salty Condo is going to be a multi family apartment complex once they start breeding, ha!

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be really interesting seeing the result of clowns and a trigger breeding! o_O :D

Brandon

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back