120cm journal, my return to the hobby...

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes! its still running. i wish i would have cleaned/cured my rock a bit more before start up. had some bad hair algae and some cyano. killed a few corals and such. but tank is stabilizing and im starting to see much improvement. working on an water station to help with maintenence. ill try and get some pics up for all to see!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great @coseal ! I am dying to see some pictures. I have a question what is the overall footprint of your DIY overflow. Like how wide is the box , how long is it, and how tall is it ? Are you running a 3/4in return as well ? Sorry I just love how it looks on your tank.

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking the internal box is 1.375"x 10"w x 6"t and the external box is 3.5"d x 10"w x 6"t the siphon and open drain are both 1" the return is 3/4" i run about 600gph through this due to the rollermat. i can get exact measurements later but off the top of my head this sounds right...

Last edited:

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking the internal box is 1.375"x 8"w x 6"t and the external box is 4"d x 8"w x 6"t the siphon and open drain are both 1" the return is 3/4" i run about 600gph through this due to the rollermat. i can get exact measurements later but off the top of my head this sounds right...

Ok thank you @coseal! It’s very nicely done I will say! I am dying to see some new pictures;)

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

there is life in here i swear! lol

i havnt been pursuing the hobby lately, total lack of interest really. been keeping the system topped off and feeding the fish. however i am starting to get the itch again! got my fish list completed. pretty happy with that! been working on a AWC for the system and just got a ghl maxi sa in the mail today. initial impressions are good! i switched out my vortechs for some AI nero's and man i really like them! super quite and the controller/power supply is totally worth! so small and compact. i though i would hate the cords in the tank but honestly the footprint is so much smaller inside and outside the tank its a non issue. anyway ill try to keep this thread updated a little better lol! tank has been up for a bit and i have decent coraline growth so gonna give some sps a shot!

quick full tank shot!

CL_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been stated, excellent build. Making me think critically about how quickly I should actually get my new tank up and running. Should be sure to take my time and things will turn out better!

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can totally relate with having your interests elsewhere for a while. I'm glad you've kept it running, I think sometimes tanks can really thrive when we step away and just do what's necessary. More importantly it's good for your own mental health! I think it's time for some SPS too!

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
braved the hell that is northern virginia today to get me some sticks! WAMAS was having a meet today and i needed to get some stuff from ikea... so made a trip out of it! gws3 and copps hooked me up with some great sized frags!

left to right - freaky tiki(a local frag), UC shortcake (gws3), captain planet(gws3), vivid rainbow delight(gws3), aqua delight(gws3) and rmf red tip nasuta(gws3)

Frags by shaun s., on Flickr

also got a couple frags from Copps but need to take pics of those. hulk milli and paletta tri color.

thinking of moving the tank to a different wall in the room so i can run some stuff through the wall like AWC,dosing,chiller lines and move all of the power bricks and wires into the utility room on the other side of the wall. make a pseudo fish room...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size frags.

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC set up this weekend! using a brute and the waste line runs to the drain for the laundry. re purposed the fire tablet i use for my apex that wont stay connected to the internet lol. so far so good!

did some maint on the tank! changed the fleece and took a razor to the glass to remove all the coraline! still gettin some patches of cyano.. not sure what thats about, seems to come and go.

couple of my frags were showing signs of burnt tips.. i sent off an icp test and it came back low on iodine. trying some red sea colors iodine to see if that helps. also barium was pretty high no clue there? did some testing today and alk was @7.4 so gonna watch that! cal 410 and mag was 1320. phos was .o4 . gonna keep an eye on alk and see how it does with the awc set up. dug a kalk stirrer out of storage going to use kalk if alk keeps dropping. keeping an eye on it this week and try and figure out what my usage is.

Screenshot (4) by shaun s., on Flickr

#lovemyrollermat!

havnt cleaned my sump out since i set up the tank!

quick after the cleanin spree shot!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, are those The AI Hydros pumps?

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea 2 neros! the app is pretty sweet and they are easy to clean... took a bit to get used to the wires but i made some lil clips and got over that pretty quick. ill post pics of my lil clips tonight.

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So well thought out and clean looking, great DIY skills you have too!
Following!
thanks for the follow!

working on some updates to post. been wrapping my head around a couple small reactor's to run gfo and carbon. all the ones avail are just way to big to run the amount of media i want to run. and still stay under the lids. i know they have some out there for the all in one crowd. but most of the media reactors for sumped systems are huge! been using mesh bags and they have worked out ok, but i think it would be neat to make a reactor.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it would be neat to make a reactor.
Want to try a CX reactor too. I have some tubing 4" and 6" and thought about making one 8 or 10" tall, its the flanges that make it a challenge......unless I can find someone with a cnc for plastics.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back