120g mixed reef build

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Best of luck setting it up. Have you started a build thread yet?

No, I will be! I guess I can start one soon lol. Should I wait until I get my tank or just start one with my current equipment I bought? My tank should arrive 1/27 Its been 1 1/2months. The stand is taking forever to get built.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I will be! I guess I can start one soon lol. Should I wait until I get my tank or just start one with my current equipment I bought? My tank should arrive 1/27 Its been 1 1/2months. The stand is taking forever to get built.
Totally up to you, I know I enjoy reading threads in the planning stages also.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet tank! I'm also thinking about upgrading to a 120 from my 55 later this year. Much more scape options. Following this one

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flasher Wrasse in QT has/had a white bump on the top of his head. After asking for advise in the fish disease forum, it looks like he just bumped his head on the lid while trying to jump out. This picture was taken yesterday and it has significantly reduced in size today.

IMG_2377.JPG

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally broke thru the cyano and am feeling much better about it. I'm happier with my lighting settings now. Ive got my eyes on the wave puck by waveline. Looks like a good little powerhead at an affordable cost. Does anyone have any experience with it?

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a review on another site, it's not real favorable. Comments are there also, some positive and some not-so-much.
I saw that video also. The reviews have been so/so but its 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of some others. I feel like its a good gamble and a huge step up from my cheep ones I got from Amazon.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy just got out of QT and was super skittish for the first few days. Was a little worried about him not eating but has since perked up. Quite the personality now. He will "rest" up against the overflow teeth and just watch everything from his perch.

IMG_0033.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for quiet mid level power head. I purchased some Maxspect gyres a few weeks ago, great water movement and design but I just couldn’t get over the noise.

I’ve been looking at the Waveline pucks, anyone have any experience with their noise level?

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a lot of “slime” on my rocks. I know I’m needing more flow, any good recommendations for a good snail for this?

A7054EE1-B257-488D-AA6E-AB81A8659E2C.jpeg

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't afford the Maxspect and got a Jebao gyre. I haven't tested it yet but on most of the Gyre threads I have read if you drop it to like 40% (from memory) the noise reduces a lot. So if you haven't sold them yet maybe try using them with the ones you have and programming them to run lower at times when you can't handle the noise. I'm just getting started on my first RT build and it's going to be about a 100G and your tank is looking awesome. Glad to see you got a clam too as I have that on my list ;)

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm piecing together my wish list for critters:

Fish

• 2 Clownfish (looking at the Frostbite Ocellaris or Black Ice Ocellaris)
  • Red Fin High Banded Goby (to be paired with Pistol Shrimp)
  • Coral Beauty Angelfish
  • 3 Sunburst Anthias
  • Tailspot Blenny, Midas Blenny, scribble Blenny, eyelash Blenny (choices!?)
  • Purple Firefish
  • Flasher Wrasse(s)
  • Kole Tang
*Powderblue Tang* this is my dream fish that I've wanted since I was in middle school. It's more temperamental, aggressive, and susceptible to diseases than the Kole so I *may* add this later or just give up on "the dream"

Inverts
  • Tiger Pistol Shrimp
  • 2-3 Cleaner shrimp
  • RBTA
  • Clam(s)
  • Blue legged hermits
  • Misc snails for clean up
Corals & Misc
  • Zoanthids
  • Acropora
  • Montipora
  • Chalice
  • Brains
  • Acans
Any feedback or suggestions would be great!

images.jpeg

This is a great list. I need to read on and find out more about the clam (s). I am planning on getting 2-3 tangs and adding them together when they are the same size - Hippo and a Yellow / Purple and maybe something else - maybe a Powder or a Kole - If I get do decide on a tang that's more aggressive - like a Powder Blue or White Cheek I will add it last - but by then we can make a more informed decision.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't afford the Maxspect and got a Jebao gyre. I haven't tested it yet but on most of the Gyre threads I have read if you drop it to like 40% (from memory) the noise reduces a lot. So if you haven't sold them yet maybe try using them with the ones you have and programming them to run lower at times when you can't handle the noise. I'm just getting started on my first RT build and it's going to be about a 100G and your tank is looking awesome. Glad to see you got a clam too as I have that on my list ;)
I had the Maxpect at 30% and it was still just too loud for me. I've got some cheapy powerheads in there right now but think I'm going to just save up for some vortechs. Noise is a big issue for my spouse, so better save than sorry haha.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back